Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

(updated)My first build. 90 gallon 9-18

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: (updated)My first build. 90 gallon 9-18
    Posted: July 18 2011 at 1:40am
Tomorrow is the big day!  I am pretty excited to get my first tank setup and stared.  Going to go and pick up the tank tomorrow morning at 9am.  So I will be spending all day getting things set up and ready to go.  Also will be going to buy some rock and sand.  Busy day for me.  Smile

I will be posting up pictures as soon as I can and things get started.  I do not think I have been this excited ever!Big smile 

Edited by Quickness - September 18 2011 at 11:14am
Molon Labe
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2011 at 12:49pm
So the tank is is up and going.  Had a couple issues with the sump setup, but have gotten that worked out for now until I get a different setup for that. 

I forgot my friend has my digital camera.  So soon as I get that back I will be putting up the pics.  I ended up with a variety of rock from different members.  And now I have no idea how to set it up Confused  Pretty frustrating actually. 

I would like to say thank you for the warm welcome and thanks to the people that I have talked to and dealt with so far.  Everyone has been more then willing to answer my questions!  And there has been plenty of them! 
Molon Labe
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2011 at 2:19pm
get pictures up ASAP
Also, when you do your aquascape make sure it is extremely stable, a rockslide down to smashing corals is never pretty let alone smashing a fish
Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2011 at 3:50am
So I tried to scape the rock last night when I got home from work and I really suck at it...  Half tempted to have a member close come over and help me out.  I like part of it but the rest it just blah..

The tonga branch is giving me the most headache to scape with so far...
Molon Labe
Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2011 at 3:43am

Here it is when it finally got to my house and setup.

Some of the live rock that I started with.

Filled up with the rock just put in there to keep it alive.  Moon lights turned on.

Dust settled and was able to see. :)

First try at scaping the rock.  Sorry it's hard to see.

Another angel.  There are plenty of little caves and places to hide if needed.

Side view

Just a shot to kind of give an idea of some of the spots that are around to swim through and hide.

Love the moon lights!

First couple pieces of coral to see how they do. 
Kenya tree, zoanthids, and a few mushrooms.  (mushrooms are some of my favorites so far!) :)

I will get better pics when I get the digital back from my buddy. 

Oh here is a pic of the sump I'm picking up Monday

Feel free to comment, make suggestions, and so forth.

Molon Labe
Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2011 at 5:22pm
Results from my first water test
Ammonia .3
Nitrate 10
Nitrite .3
Ph 8.3
Molon Labe
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2011 at 6:16pm
Very cool. Glad to see another Nissan owner over here too. 
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2011 at 6:31pm
Yep! It's coming along slowly, but it's coming. Wish I would have started this before I bought the g35. Would have gotten something cheaper lol
Molon Labe
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2011 at 6:41pm
It's weird how I have shifted priorities from my car to the tank haha. 
Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2011 at 6:58pm
Yep. Soon as the g20 is done I'm selling it to buy more stuff or another setup altogether. Lol I frequent this forum twice as much as UN.

In all honestly people are a lot more helpful and friendly here. If we asked half the questions on UN about cars we would get flammed like no other.
Molon Labe
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2011 at 7:34pm
Yeah people here pwn all other forums. I love it here and need to become a true member/ pay dues.
Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2011 at 9:06pm
Agree!
Molon Labe
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2011 at 11:18am
Always fun to see a new setup coming together>

Make sure you take lots of pics as you go along.

If you open an account at a site like photobucket.com and upload your photos there first, then you can post larger photos here - and then the details will be clearer and easier to see..

Looking forward to seeing more Clap

Edited by BobC63 - July 24 2011 at 11:18am
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2011 at 7:43pm
I like the back of the tank.  What is it made of?
40 gal w/ 20 sump
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2011 at 9:32pm
The back reminds me of my old chameleon cage :)
Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2011 at 2:17am
Originally posted by Lewy Lewy wrote:

I like the back of the tank.  What is it made of?

The previous owner did the back wall.  It is a mixture of sand and shell.  It gives it a rather deep look.  And makes trying to take pictures of the rock a monster pain in the butt.

I have more pictures coming soon.  The tank so far is doin rather well and better then some people have expected. 

I already want something bigger!
Molon Labe
Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2011 at 1:58am
So I guess I should add a few more pics of what is going on with my tank.  These are all iphone pics...

Here it is as of today

Clowns and their anemone

And a few pieces of coral.  (Not everything in the tank)

And some chalices that I have
This one is from the frag fest.. Not sure what this is.
These two I would like ID help with.  I think the one is Miami Hurricane.  The other I have no clue.

And just a pic of my yellow tang cause it would hold still for a sec.

Fish that I current have is a pair of mated clowns, cleaner wrasse, yellow tang, yellow eye tang, coral beauty, lawnmower blenny, and a watchman goby and pistol shrimp pair(never see these guys though)

Coral so far consits of branching hammer and frogspawn (both purple and green tip), three different types of candy cane, rainbow enchinata, red green blastos, favia, moon coral, duncans, scroll coral, monti cap, aussie war coral, toadstoll leather, torches, and a bunch of different types of zoas (spiderman, AOG, RPE, green bay packers, nuclear dragon eyes, blue pin wheels, candy apples, lunar eclipse, eagle eye, and some others I have no clue what they are.)

Edited by Quickness - September 06 2011 at 2:51am
Molon Labe
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2011 at 8:23am
Looking good:)
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2011 at 1:59am
Ok going to add a bunch of pictures to show where the tank is at and see what some of you guys think of my first build.  I have yet to have anything die on me (knock on wood).  And really enjoy my new hobby as well as all the people that I have gotten to know since starting.  A few very close friends have been made here already. Smile

So here are the pictures

Front shot

Side shot

And now for some of the additions in the tank. Sorry in advance for the bad photo skills.

Molon Labe
Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2011 at 2:15am
Molon Labe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic