Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zoas dying: Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zoas dying: Help
    Posted: July 18 2011 at 6:22pm
This isn't a HUGE emergency, but I am losing some of my most expensive zoas.

Zoas Dying: Help
About a week ago I lost a colony of candy apple reds. They all just closed up and then then they opened up a bit and now are faded and shriveled up.

Now a couple frags and colonies are starting to do the same thing.

I took out everything that looked bad and dipped them and then also dipped in Coral ReVive.

Horrible cellphone pics but here they are.
Notice the weird grey stuff around the polyps.

White spots on the polyp plus a huge white gooey looking stuff next to the polyp

I don't have a picture but on one of my single head zoa frags I saw a tiny little critter. Small and white. I never saw anything like that on anything else.

Paramaters are

440 cal
9 alk
1350 mag

Everything else in the tank looks super.
Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2011 at 6:52pm
Are you dosing iodide/iodine?
sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2011 at 6:53pm
search zoa pox sounds like it could be what you have also search dosing vitamin C I have read that it can help neither am I familiar with first hand other then skimming across threads that I have come across
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2011 at 7:14pm
I brushed off everything I could and then did a fresh water dip.

Sand, I am a big vitamin C doser already. I don't think that its zoo pox. The White spots are just Captain America Palys and I forgot they had those, haha. So the problem is the weird grey stuff around the polyps.

I have good eye sight plus I used a magnifying glass to look at it and still whatever it is is too small to make out. I usually can see nudeis pretty easy.

Edited by Laird - July 18 2011 at 7:15pm

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2011 at 8:04pm
i would second zoa pox, its at least worth a shot, what size tank?
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2011 at 8:09pm
After doing research I'm pretty sure it isnt zoa pox.

90 gallon.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2011 at 8:50pm
What about your PH?

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2011 at 8:51pm

My parameters are all good. It's for sure some kind of disease or critter.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2011 at 8:59pm
When I have problems with mine not opening it is usually my PH.

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2011 at 9:15pm
Laird, any fungus associated with it?
jmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2011 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by badfinger badfinger wrote:

+1+1+1+1!!!!!!

What do you mean by "brushed off". Did you use something like a toothbrush and actually give them a good scrubbing? I almost lost an entire colony of zoas and ended up doing an iodine dip followed by a 3-5 min freshwater dip ,twice , one week apart, before they started to respond. Each time I scrubbed them down using a toothbrush.
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2011 at 12:03am
Originally posted by jmw jmw wrote:

Originally posted by badfinger badfinger wrote:

+1+1+1+1!!!!!!

What do you mean by "brushed off". Did you use something like a toothbrush and actually give them a good scrubbing? I almost lost an entire colony of zoas and ended up doing an iodine dip followed by a 3-5 min freshwater dip ,twice , one week apart, before they started to respond. Each time I scrubbed them down using a toothbrush.

I thought I had put that I did this in my Orginal post, but I didn't, weird.

I did an iodine dip, freshwater dip, and a reVive dip and brushed with a tooth brush.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2011 at 1:00am
Most zoas need iodide to be maintained in the aquarium if you don't dose already I would recommend dosing some iodide as a part of your regular dosing regimen. 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2011 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by CapnMorgan CapnMorgan wrote:

Most zoas need iodide to be maintained in the aquarium if you don't dose already I would recommend dosing some iodide as a part of your regular dosing regimen. 

I dose a lot of fuel which has iodide in it.

I also run a UV, I don't think I had mentioned that.

Todays update is that all the zoas that looked bad STILL look really bad, and now clusters of my big colonies are starting to close up.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Brandon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2011 at 1:56pm
I would search for Zoa eating Nudi's first.  If you think the have zoa pox then you can do the Furan 2 dip that is mentioned on zoaid here: http://www.zoaid.com/articles004.php

I would make sure they are in a higher flow area.

I would not recommend to freshwater dip them since they are already stressed out.  The Revive was a great idea, but don't keep dipping and dipping.  It just stresses them out more.

Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2011 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Brandon Brandon wrote:

I would search for Zoa eating Nudi's first.  If you think the have zoa pox then you can do the Furan 2 dip that is mentioned on zoaid here: http://www.zoaid.com/articles004.phpI would make sure they are in a higher flow area.I would not recommend to freshwater dip them since they are already stressed out.  The Revive was a great idea, but don't keep dipping and dipping.  It just stresses them out more.

I think its the Nudis even though they are smaller than I thought they were. I brushed off all of them I could see so I hope they are gone.

I wish I didn't have the worlds most lazy wrasses, they never are picking on rocks, the just wait to be fed by me, and I don't even feed my fish as often as most.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic