Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another Canopy question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Canopy question
    Posted: May 08 2003 at 11:02pm

I have started to build my canopy. I have 2 questions.

#1 I am going to put a top on this that opens as one peice like the lid to a toy box.  The distance to the water from the top will be aprox. 11 inches. This should be great for the MH lights but I would also like to put my VHO's on the lid as well. Would 11 inches be to high for these lights?

#2 what would be the best location to mount a fan or fans? The back of this canopy is very open. would it be good to mount them in the lid facing the MH's or should I put them in the back?

Any other suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2003 at 7:48am

Piston,

Looks good.  On my hood, I built standoffs attached to the top of the hood that extend the vhos down closer to the water.  Also, I put my fan in the side.  I had some thin white acrylic sheet laying around gathering dust that I used to line the inside to keep water-on-wood damage down.  Post more picts when done :)

twflint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twflint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2003 at 7:58am

Just a word of advice from someone with a canopy that looks VERY much like yours.  I have a 90 gallon with a custom canopy.  I CANNOT reach the bottom of the tank even when I am standing on a chair. 

If possible I would make the front of the canopy go up too.   I have a real hard time moving stuff in tank, scraping algae and such.

I have 2 fans both mounted in the sides (gah, still need to change one of my fans around, been lazy.  Currently I have one blowing in, one blowing out.  Think I want both blowing in.) 

utahtaper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utahtaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2003 at 8:17am

Hey Piston,

Not sure if you remember mine, but I have two holes cut out on the top of my cabinet with the fans facing up so that they suck air from the back and blow it out the top. Because heat rises I shaved one whole degree off my water temp. I tried many different ways to do it. One facing in and one facing out, both facing in, both facing out.... etc. Then I finally did the above and felt it was the best for my situation.

SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2003 at 5:49pm

Bruce,

Here is how I'm doing mine.  I'm having the top open with 2 doors that will still open on the front.

I used my router to do an inset for the fan to sit in and then routed a circle for the air to be pulled in from.  I have one fan on either side.

Hope this helps.  If you want to come by and see, you know where I am, just give me a call.

SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2003 at 5:54pm
By the way, mine is also just over 11" tall.  It will house 2 250w MH and 2 VHO Actinics as well as some moon lighting (cold cathode PC mods.) and the 2 5" fans.
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2003 at 6:08pm

SSpargur, Looking good! I will give you a call.  Could you email me your number again. pisto[email protected]  Thanks

Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2003 at 6:12pm

Thanks!

I still have to make the doors, route the corners round, sand and stain.  Then I'll be done.  Should be done tomorrow, Saturday.

tomason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2003 at 11:15pm

Hi, pistonfister

Regarding your first question, the VHOs should be closer to the water surface, more like 3" and without anything between them and the water.  They don't have the "penetration capability" of the MHs, so the attenuation of the light is much more of an issue.

http://www.cnidarianreef.com has section on the guy's canopy.  He mounted his MHs on the top and his VHOs much lower, and he has several pictures.  He said they don't get in the way, and he only ever removes the one in front to do major landscaping changes.  (BTW, that site is down right now and I'm just working off my memory....If that's not the site I was thinking of, I apologize. =)  It's a good one nonetheless! )

For anyone that's interested in lighting, www.wetwebmedia.com has lots of info on lighting (along with everything else).  I stayed up late the other night going through it. =)

They are of the "too much light is bad" school, so some people will undoubtedly disagree with some of what they say, like people who think there's no such thing as too much.  They go into a lot of detail regarding the biology of photosynthesis and how different levels of light (not enough, just enough, optimal, and too much) affect inverts with zooxanthellae.

-Tom

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic