Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sand question??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sand question??
    Posted: July 23 2011 at 3:16am
I bought Chris(kludgeguru) 60g tank the other day and he was nice enough to leave the sand for me. What I want to make sure of is the sand was only disturbed a bit by a powerhead when I was trying to get it set in there, other than that we left the sand in the bottom and didn't not mix it up. I came home added about 5 inches of live water to the tank and put a power head in there. I wanted to make sure that I will be ok not removing the sand and rinsing. I am hoping it will be beneficial seems it is already established sand.

I am hoping to get the 2x4 stand built tomorrow evening and get this tank going in the next few days so I thought I better find out now.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2011 at 8:02am

I wouldn't do that, Jackie.

You can leave it for now, until your stand is ready.

But then I would set aside maybe 2 or 3 cups of the live sand, and then wash out all the rest.

You can then 'seed' the sandbed with that 2 or 3 cups you kept alive. The live stuff will repopulate the entire sandbed within a week or 2.

If you use a good amount of live rock to start off with (vs. using all 'dead' rock) you shouldn't even see any cycle in the tank.

If you want to test it, stir up the sandbed right now and see how filthy dirty that 5 inches of water is going to get. You don't want to risk all that crud starting to rot, and then screwing up your water parameters for the next 6 months...

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2011 at 10:57am
I agree with Bob. When I upgraded to the 265, I used about 2 gallons of the old sand to populate the 100 pounds of new sand. Along with my existing live rock, I had livestock in the tank within a week & never had a cycle.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2011 at 2:29pm
Ok sounds good. Glad I asked, I thought it would be fine seems it didn't get pulled out of the tank.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic