Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coral RX on Aussie Torch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
utahwatertoys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utahwatertoys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coral RX on Aussie Torch
    Posted: July 28 2011 at 4:22pm
I put my Aussie torch in a mixture of 1 quart of tank water from my 120 gallon tank with 1 capful of CoralRx and stirred the coral in the solution. The torch that was completely happy and fully extended before I took it out of the original tank (which came from a 19 gallon tank that I purchased about a month ago but needed to clean up the corals before I trusted putting them in my big tank)  completely shriveled up and white tufts were coming off the coral. I then put it in my 120 gallon tank and its been about 30 minutes and the coral is still all shriveled up and just doesn't look too good.
Is this normal for a coralrx dip?
I wanted to get all of the corals out of my smaller 19 gallon tank to put into the larger 120 gallon tank but I'm concerned about this coralrx dip as to whether I'm going to have another problem with the other corals.

Edited by utahwatertoys - July 28 2011 at 4:23pm
GentlemanBean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GentlemanBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2011 at 5:13pm
How vigorously did you stir the coral? If the torch was fully or partially expanded, you could have damaged the soft tissue. Otherwise, I wouldn't have expected coral Rx to cause any issues if the recommended dosage is used.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utahwatertoys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2011 at 6:41pm
Not vigorously at all
I'm pretty sure that this coral is dying though. It looks terrible

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utahwatertoys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2011 at 7:59pm
3 hours past CoralRx dip and my Aussie Torch looks dead.
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2011 at 8:06pm
Don't write it off. You would be amazed at what can come back from the grave. Patience is the key. It doesn't always happen but it does happen.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utahwatertoys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2011 at 12:12am
Ok, thanks. I'll keep it in place and hope that it will come alive by tomorrow morning.
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2011 at 12:37am
as long it does not start showing brown slime there is still hope

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utahwatertoys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2011 at 12:41am
fortunately there isn't any brown slime thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utahwatertoys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2011 at 9:11pm
At this point, I can't tell whether it is dead or alive. The tentacles only extend about 1/4 inch and it still looks pretty weak. Normally the tentacles before the Coralrx were extending about 2.5 to 3 inches.
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2011 at 9:36pm
any dip on ANY LPS make sure they are closed, bad things happens when they are open

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utahwatertoys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2011 at 4:45pm
As far as I know it looks like it is still alive. It isn't anywhere near the length it was in the other tank before the coralrx but at least it looks like it survived
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2011 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Josh95 Josh95 wrote:

any dip on ANY LPS make sure they are closed, bad things happens when they are open

Hit the nail on the head. LPS tissues are delicate and before any dip the coral should be "closed" or as close to it as possible.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 11:27pm
I'm sorry, but I completely disagree.  I know there are others who've been keeping corals longer, but 5 years is nothing to sniff at.  I've never, ever, made sure my LPS were closed before dipping.  I've never had a single issue...and I've dipped hundreds of corals. 

What sort of problems have you guys had?  What's your doseage?  I'm just baffled at this - LPS normally open up during dips for me...so I don't know how I'd even keep them closed if that was "better" for them. 
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic