Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tanuki's Ocean 180 inside!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 11:09am
I think I have a predator in the tank, so I moved out almost all of the live rock that I think it could be hiding in to the sump.  I am not sure if I got rid of it or not, but in the past few weeks I have lost (as in no bodies to be found) a lot of extremely healthy fish literally over night.  Most of these fish have been in the tank a while.

These fish have been reported missing with no traces or clues:

7 Blue/Green Chromis
3 Purple Queens
1 Algae Blenny
1 Borbonius Anthias
1 Cleaner Wrasse
1 Fire Shrimp
2 Cleaner Shrimp

So rather than buying more fish, I decided to throw a bunch of vida rock in the display along with a new sea fan/ blue gorgonia.  I hope I can keep it alive.  I really like how it looks like an underwater bonsai or cherry blossom.

Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 12:59pm
Are the corals doing well? Just fish disappearing?
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 2:44pm
^Yeah.  Corals are great.  Parameters are perfect.  Everything in range.  I don't think I have ever had a fish get sick and die since I set the tank up. 
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 8:47am
Last night I finished rescaping the tank.  Here is how we are looking now (sorry for iphone pics and poor lighting).

troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 9:01am
Nice!
Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 9:11am
Nice rescaping dude. I'm liking the look of less rock.
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 9:20am
^Thanks guys.  The challenge is to use less rock while providing enough hiding areas etc.  I am going to make a video this weekend of the tank to show how the passages etc work.

Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2012 at 4:08pm
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2012 at 6:41pm
Wow that shot is so serene
cba191 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cba191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2012 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Tanuki Tanuki wrote:

What is that tree lookin thing?  (I know it's a noob question, but I am going to want one because of it's awesomeness)

edit:  I went back and looked.   Tell me Gorgonians aren't impossibly difficult for a noob.

Edited by cba191 - May 12 2012 at 7:21pm
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 7:54am
^CBA,

I don't know if it is as difficult as they say yet.  For me, the worst part so far, is that I have seen my sailfin tang eating off the gorgonian twice now.

Usually online sites will say that any coral that requires feeding is to be considered extremely difficult.  I think the keys to the gorgonians are:

-Good Flow
-Consistent feeding (they are non photosynthetic)

I will let you know how this one goes though.
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 11:42am
I finally picked up an mp40. Hopefully I'll h e money for a second sooner than later. For now I placed it right in the middle of the back and left the koralias at the ends.
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2012 at 9:52am
Here are the latest shots of my tank.

The giant toadstool got ripped down by the outbreak of Rose anemones.  I had like three anchored around its base, but at least a bit stayed in tact.  My chalices have taken off too.

The scroll coral is looking maybe to have tripled in size since last year, as has the Tyree Oregon Mummy Eye, Miami Hurricane, and Jason Fox Grafted Chalice.

Currently my three issues in order of annoyance are:

1.Flatworms.  I have  vacuumed them out a few times, I probably just need to buy flatworm exit next time and try that.
2.Anemone outbreak.  One rose tip has become about 8.  I am pulling them as I can.
3.Sand bed needs cleaned.  I know that hermits would decimate all of that green that is on the sand now, but my two wrasses wont let me have many hermits in the tank.  They rip them apart and honestly I can live with some green on the sand bed.

May 11, 2012

Dec 7, 2012

Edited by Tanuki - December 09 2012 at 9:55am
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2012 at 1:52pm
Ordered a new fish today.  He will be here in the morning. 
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2012 at 2:02pm
Brent -

Tank is looking good - really like the "2 islands of rock" look! Thumbs Up
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 8:13am
Originally posted by BobC63 BobC63 wrote:

Brent -

Tank is looking good - really like the "2 islands of rock" look! Thumbs Up

Thanks Bob!  I actually decided to add a little bit of rock to it the other night.  I needed a little more space for my frags.

tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 3:55pm
I just went through and read this enitre thread and seen all the pics, this tank is amazing! I really love how the gorgonian is surrounded by a bunch of zoas at the bottom of it. Everything looks really really great!
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 11:31pm
What kind of fish did you order? Another borbonius anthias?
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by tfmreefs tfmreefs wrote:

I just went through and read this enitre thread and seen all the pics, this tank is amazing! I really love how the gorgonian is surrounded by a bunch of zoas at the bottom of it. Everything looks really really great!

Thanks! Unfortunately the tangs ate the gorgonian.
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2012 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by P.Kapp P.Kapp wrote:

What kind of fish did you order? Another borbonius anthias?

Yes another. I got one Froday, but it died an hour into drip acclimation. It looked bad from the start. I am receiving a replacement on Friday.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic