Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Acrylic and coraline

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Acrylic and coraline
    Posted: July 31 2011 at 6:53pm
Any body have a good way of getting coraline off of an acrylic tank?  I've got a mag float with Mr. Clean Magic Eraser as a pad but it doesn't even touch it.  The front of my little tank is covered in green coraline spots and it makes the tank look deseptively dirty.  The larger spots come off pretty easly with a wood dowell but not the pesky tiny spots.  I don't wan't to use a razor, I haven't had very good luck using them before on acrylic tanks.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2011 at 7:10pm
Toothbrush? I have used one before.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2011 at 7:49pm
I could probably zip tie one to the wood dowell to get a bit deeper.  I'm heading down stairs to try it out.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2011 at 10:35pm
with alot of work you can get all corraline off with these without scratching glass takes a while I will never own another acrylic tank for this reason

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kent-Marine-Pro-Scraper-Short-Cleaning-Acrylic-/380303277188?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588bd77c84
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
Pinner Reef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinner Reef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2011 at 8:24am

Credit card
In SLC Near Downtown
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2011 at 10:33pm
Scapers thats made for Acrllyc.Plastic blade.works well..
Totally agree with Sandune600.Never Ever will i own another one.
Try not to stare in one spot to much,it'll scratch.LOL
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2011 at 10:51pm
Best way is to use micromesh ultra fine sanding cloth under a strong  magnet scraper. This is also how to remove scratches from acrylic underwater.

I use the Kent Scraper with the metal blade. You have to make sure it's completely and absolutely straight with a slight curl up on the corners and push on it just hard enough but not too hard.  10 times faster than a credit card.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2011 at 10:51am
I have also used Mark's method with a metal Kent scraper, but again, be VERY careful or you will scratch the tank.  

Add me to the list of people never wanting an acrylic tank again for this exact reason.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2011 at 12:17pm
To keep my acrylic Cube looking sharp, I have available:

- Kent Acrylic Scraper
 - Magic Eraser
 - Acrylic Safe sponge on a stick
 - Acrylic Model Mag Float (size medium)

I find the key to minimizing the struggle with corraline on an acrylic tank is not to let it build up in the first place

You really do need to at least swipe your acrylic tank with the Mag Float (acrylic - safe model, of course) every single day - without fail...

If you start skipping days until there is noticeable buildup, you will increase the amount of time and effort needed to get the tank looking good again exponentially.

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2011 at 6:21pm
I agree with Bob, my old acrylic tank used to go a couple months between glass cleanings and by that time the coraline was built up pretty good.  It took 3-4 hours to clean a 130 gallon show tank.  I had to stand on a ladder the whole time I was working on it and I could just barely reach the bottom of the tank.  If I had kept it whipped down every day I would not have had so much trouble with it. 
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2011 at 9:37pm
you guys are so right.  I haven't been using the mag float as often as I used to.  I moved the tank down stairs.  when it was in my kitchen I swiped the float across the tank everytime I walked by it but now not as often and you can really tell.  I threw my back out just after posting so I haven't done much but now I'm feeling better I'll try some of the ideas.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic