Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Snails W/out Shells?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jenjardu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenjardu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snails W/out Shells?
    Posted: May 09 2003 at 3:01pm

Lately I've notice 3 snails that have no shell in my tank.  They range in size from one very small one to one that is just as big as all the others that I have in my tank.   Any thoughts on if they are new snail or are the loosing their shells (I haven't seen any empty shells laying around)?

I have a 30 gal with 150 metal haldiae 6500 k and one 32 w power compact 50/50 a 2-3" DSB with the lower 1 1/2 to 2" Utah oolitic and the above layer Live sand (can't remember the brandname) about 50 lbs of live rock or more a mechanical filter running at about 100 gph and one RIO powerhead at about 300 gph.  The RIO pumps the water right into the return from the filter. NO skimmer or active carbon used.  5 gal water change every 2 weeks.

Live stock is not mutch at all.  One leather I got at the last coral cutting seminar along with a SPS and some other soft coral I also recived at the seminar and one open brain.  One blue damsil and about 10 crabs and 10 snails.

All water tests are normal.  I'll post the results of my lates water test if I can remember to right them down.  I live in Springville so if there are any members in the south valley that would like to come over and see my tank any and all opinions or critasisams will be accepted.

(IS THERE A SPELL CHEK)

KeoDog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeoDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2003 at 10:41pm
Do the snails have what looks like a shield on their back.  If so these are quite common and come in with the live rock.  I had 3 but haven't seen them for months now.  I think they are called stomatella but that might be wrong.  Just trying to remember off the top of my head.  Nothing to worry about.
Kevin Kunz (Sandy, UT)
300g reef

"A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud."   Ayn Rand
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic