Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fish in overflows

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CDKW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CDKW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fish in overflows
    Posted: August 10 2011 at 8:49pm
I have a long nose flame hawk and royal gramma that keep getting into the overflow.  It is a major pain to keep getting them out.  Any suggestions for ways to keep them from getting in there?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2011 at 9:59pm
The same type of screen material we use to keep fish from jumping out of the tank but with a smaller mesh size, can be cut in a strip and superglued across the teeth of the overflow. In fact I have recently started cutting out teeth when I attach the strip of screen. The cut out teeth allows more water to overflow or rather a lower water level in the tank if the flow is not increased. Works like a charm if a larger piece is used which covers the entire top of the overflow. The best example of what I'm talking about is on Ross Bagshaws tank in North Salt Lake. He would love a visit. Call me for his number.

Edited by Mark Peterson - August 11 2011 at 7:57am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2011 at 8:24am
duplicate post, sorry.

Edited by Mark Peterson - August 12 2011 at 9:06am
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2011 at 8:28am
Oh and about getting fish out of overflows, a properly put together overflow on a standard larger tank will have inside threaded bulkheads so all that's needed is to unscrew the drainpipe and let the gush of water drag the fish down the drainpipe into your waiting net or floss bag.

If this is a nano without an external sump/Refugium, I feel your pain. Unhappy

BTW, a "long nose flame hawk" sounds awesome. I'd love to see a pic. Smile

Sorry, I keep going on... Why would both fish always end up in the overflow? Sounds like something we could help with. If you would like to describe the tank and it's live inhabitants, or better yet post a pic, we may be able to shed some light on why they keep trying to escape. Confused
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2011 at 9:25am
Mark has excellent ideas doesn't he? I would also consider looking to see if those particular fish are being chased by others, hence maybe a reason they end up in there. I had a chromis missing for a few weeks and finally my husband found him back there. When we got him out we noticed the other chromis chasing him around.
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic