Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RDP Refugium pics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RDP Refugium pics
    Posted: January 19 2005 at 7:00am
It's all DIY. Set up July 2004
RDP (Reverse Daylight Photosynthesis) Refugium principles are discussed in the February 2002 issue of the SeaStar Online Newsletter accessed by clicking the button over to the left of the screen.
All night lighting, purchased at Commercial Lighting Supply, is a 55W PC above and a 36W PC mounted on the right front inside, close to the top of the tub. Locally purchased mirrored aluminum (Advanced Lighting), is used for the reflectors on both lights. A power strip is mounted up near the top light.

I love Mangroves. Look how bushy they are becoming.

When the Mangrove grows so tall that it touches the light it can be trimmed back. Notice the new sprout at the leaf node.

The macroalgae is hard to see under the water surface in the bright light but it's mostly Chaeto, with some Caulerpa, Dictyota and red Cyano.

The bag contains Activated Carbon for removal of organics and Activated Alumina for additional phosphate removal. The pump is a Rio 3100. No skimmer has yet been installed.

The sand is kept out of reach by setting the pump in a plastic container seen at the left in this pic

The bottom of the stand is lined with rubber pond liner which allows up to five inches of water before overflowing onto the carpet. The back opening of the stand has strips of pond liner hanging like drapes to keep the daylight out.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2005 at 12:58pm

Are these pics form your tank Mark? Great mangroves!!! Are those ones you got from me?

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2005 at 1:03pm
Yes and yes. Thanks for them. They are the best Mangroves I've ever grown, and I've grown more than a few. I was hoping you'd see that pic of new growth after trimming. The tops of those two I cut have died. I was hoping that maybe they'd take root, but no luck.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2005 at 1:35pm

I have trimmed one of mine and it looks a lot like the 4th picture. It has an amazing root system so we'll see how it does.

I think the secret to mangroves is a good substate to grow the roots in (I use utah oolitic sand) and bright light. They grow without a substrate, but not as fast. I still have a bunch in my greenhouse and the growth has slowed due to the cooler water tempereatures, but they are still doing great.  

Edited by BananaTropics
Kull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2005 at 3:18pm

You guys every try soaking the newly cut pieces in a root growth tonic prior to planting them in your tanks?

I was wondering how the something like the miracle grow rot tonic would work if mixed with salt water, do you think it would help your plants develope roots.

I know that the orchards around me always soak the new stuff for awhile in some sort of root tonic, I have never asked what they use, but just a thought.

"So this is what gives meaning to your life." -Unknown

Daniel in Santaquin
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2005 at 6:19pm

"The bag contains Activated Carbon for removal of organics and Activated Alumina for additional phosphate removal."

Why? If a flow isn't being forced through the media, do you believe that it's doing any good? Are you removing anything other than what settles or grows on it? I guess I am confused as to the expected effectiveness based upon the theory of utilizing a media bed filtration process. I am genuinely curious if you have proven results.

In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
j's55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j's55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2005 at 6:30pm
If you have any luck with them rooting after you cut
them let me know because they grow down here at
the beach and I would like to get some.

I could even keep them on my porch with the phyto
and zooplankton in a storage container like you did.
Josh Zorn
45G reef
lots of tropical plants
Cell it 910 3924

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2005 at 7:58pm

They grow on the beach in Riverton? 

MBX5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBX5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2005 at 9:07pm
LOL he is in FL I think

Joe Barnas
Westminster, CO
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2005 at 11:07am
Kull,
I haven't tried that, but I will next time.

Carl,
The bag is right next to the pump. Even if it were somewhere away from the pump, it would work. True it is best to place the media in direct flow, but it also works this way. I know because when I open the bag after a couple weeks the hydrated alumina has turned it's typical tan color, meaning it has collected phosphate. Since I haven't gotten around to installing my skimmer(after 6 months ), I use the carbon.

J's55,
My understanding is that you can collect floating Mangrove seed pods but you cannot uproot seedlings. Have fun wading (or swimming) for seed pods!

Edited by Mark Peterson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2005 at 6:12pm

Mark, i have a couple questions.

One, do you know the color temp of your refugium bulb? I know that some plants will produce "bushier" growth under certain spectrums. I am wondering if the color temp you are using may help the mangroves produce lateral shoots.

Two, what substrate are you using and how deep is it?

thanks

lex0219 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lex0219 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2005 at 6:30pm
great pics thanks for help
"I will search until i find my happily ever after"-renee

tanks
10 gal dwarf
30 gal fw
10 gal nano reef
12 gal nano cub

The Air Force is where it is!
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2005 at 7:28pm
The pc tube is one that I bought from Commercial Lighting Supply along with the WH ballast and socket. It is a 4500K for $12.

The sand is about 4" average depth of washed Utah Oolitic.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic