Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fighting Cyano & Hair Algae

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fighting Cyano & Hair Algae
    Posted: August 16 2011 at 2:04am
I am looking for advice on how to eradicate some cyano that keeps appearing on my sandbed...

I also have some patches of hair algae that keep popping up.

I have approx 50 snails and over 100 crabs, plus a Tiger Conch in my CUC.

What is frustrating is that I am fairly certain that I don't have a 'nutrient problem'; I base that on 2 things:

1) I have consistent '0' readings for n03 and pO4

2) All my SPS - some of which were browned out when I got them - are coloring up fairly nicely

Here is my plan to battle the cyano -

A) more flow; adding a pair of (probably) Koralias in the 2 back corners to flow water right over the sandbed in the sides and front corners of the tank, as these are the places where I am getting the cyano buildup

B) getting a sand sifting goby and maybe a sand sifting cuke or 2 to keep the sandbed surface getting turned over

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the hair algae:

I have tried a Sea Hare and now a Lawnmower Blenny... still having algae show up.

I have a bunch of Chaeto in my fuge and a large amount of Halimeda algae in the display tank. Still not 'starving' out the hair algae, though...

Next steps I would like to try:

1) Manually yank out as much as I can

2) Add a couple of herbiverous fish; specifically, a small Foxface if I can find one and a small Tang (maybe Powder Blue, or a Sailfin) or maybe even 2 of them

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am also going to add some more (maybe 20 lbs) of live rock as 'insurance' in keeping nitrates at 0. And I will increase slightly the amount of GFO I am adding into my carbon reactor.

Anything else I am missing, or any other suggestions to help get rid of this sh*t?

Oh, one more thing... where can I get a decent long forceps / tweezers so that I can reach all the algae clumps to pull them out?

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2011 at 2:46am
double your snail amount for sure. You are seeing 0 on the phos and nitrates due to the algae taking them up. I highly recommend tiger tail cukes, great to have for keeping the sand clean, you could also try a dozen or so nassarius snails and a few emerald crabs. I would consider adding a bristle tooth tang (think yellow eye kole tang or something of the zebrasoma genus) to the tank, they do a great job keeping hair algae down as long as it starts out fairly short.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2011 at 3:46am
I had the same problem that was most probably caused by overfeeding. I added more flow to the sand bed and have not had any significant cyano blooms in a few months and I can still feed just the same.
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2011 at 9:43am
I'm with the Capn on the tang. I have a small Kole tang in my 50 cube, when I started have a hair algae problem and he eradicated it quickly, and spends his days picking at rocks keeping any chance for it popping back up.

I would also recommend doubling your snails. If you hair algae is thick, my opinion, is to pull as much as possible by hand to help the snails get the upper hand on it.

In my 50 cube, for sand bed cleaning, I have three conchs, about 10 nassarius snails, tiger tail cucumber and two spot blenny. Probably overkill, in some peoples, eyes, but I like a nice clean sand bed.
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2011 at 10:01am
When I was having problems with algae and cyano I started vodka/mb7 dosing and both have been gone for over 6 months
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2011 at 10:41am
I have to disagree.... I have been fighting cyano for a year and none of the suggestions above have worked...
I have 5 tiger tail cucs
mountains of snails
I only feed a small amount every three days
I also have 0 nitrate, 0 phosphate & ammonia levels
I have tried 24 hour refugum light
I have tried chemical treatment
A 1200 max jet blowing directly over the sand bed and still have cyano growing in the jet stream of water it puts off.......

The good news, now it is turning a nice bright green color so I have a very colorful sand bed.........

Tresa is having the same problem...... I give up Angry

I have flying monkeys and I'm not afraid to use them.

180 gallon money pit that I love.....
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2011 at 12:53pm
I am following this! I have had this problem with hair algae for months now. I am doing all that Bob said and have been manually removing and still to no avail.

Bob how bad is the hair algae?
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2011 at 1:26pm

I've been through this and almost gave up reefing, the hair algae became so bad....the only thing that finally kicked the algae for me was adding a GFO reactor.  I added one and slowly each week added more and more GFO....within a month all the green hair algae turned brown and I could literally just suck it out with a turkey baster.  (it became very weak)  Now, it has been a few months and it hasn't come back, knock on wood.  I also cut back on how much GFO, in order to just maintain the system, rather than starve it too much. 

Are you running any type of phosphate remover/reactor? 
(btw- my chaeto on its own didn't starve out the algae in my fuge either)
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2011 at 7:49pm
I agree with bur01014, a phosphate reactor is a must if you dont already have one.  Also, have you checked the TDS on your ro/di water?
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2011 at 9:27am
My TDS on my RO was 002 ppm last time I checked it; I'll check again today.

I replaced all the prefilters and installed a new Spectrapure Select membrane back in April, so they are not old or worn out.

I run a Phosban reactor filled with mostly carbon and like a teaspoon of GFO - I can certainly up the amount of GFO I am using (plus it is due to be changed out anyway)

I feed one cube of either brine, mysis, Emerald entree , etc like every 3 days... I have not fed my sponges, anenomes or corals anything in almost 2 weeks.

I went over to Reefrunners last night and picked up a small (under 2") Kole Tang, and a fairly small (3") Foxface. Also picked up a small Diamond Goby, 2 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, and 2 Aqueon 950 circ pumps which will be placed in the lower rear corners of the tank, facing forward, just above the sandbed.

Still looking to add 1 or 2 Tiger Tail Cukes, 1 or 2 more Conches, some Nassarius snails, and some moe Live Rock.

And I need to find a decent long tweezers / forceps to help pull out the longer hair algae clumps.

Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2011 at 10:20am
What salt is everyone using? I fought cyano for over a year in three different tanks and the problem was Reef Crystals salt. When I switched to D&D H2Ocean, the cyano was gone within two water changes.

I will never use the cheap salts again because of this. I don't want this to turn into a salt debate. I am just stating MY experience. My cyano was caused all by my salt and it disappeared when I used a higher quality salt.
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2011 at 10:24am
Another interesting thing to note is that Lawnmower Blennies actually don't eat hair algae. When they chomp through the hair algae they are looking for built up detritus. There is a GREAT article about that topic in the latest Reef Hobbyist magazine.

Lawnmower blennies are detrivores more than anything. They author makes a great argument that they are actually not good for eating hair algae at all.
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2011 at 11:05am
Bob, I will have to keep this short as I'm on the side of the freeway waiting a second spare for my trailer.
   I have never had much of a problem with any type of algae. In my last tank of 15 years I had upwards of 24 fish, lots of coral, fed like crazy and ran nothing but a calcium reactor & many years later a skimmer. I have had the new tank up and running for close to two months, maybe? I never had a "new tank" cycle & everything looked awesome. 13 days ago I hooked up my new VHO's to accompany the three MH's before leaving town. I left the MH's on the same 6 hour period but put the VHO's on a 12 hour period. I returned home from Cabo yesterday and we have various types of algae everywhere. My son kept the glass clean (which required cleaning twice a day vs. weekly before we left) but didn't know what else to do. I reduced the VHO's by 4 hours as the problem was none existing before the additional lighting period. I too am at a loss as I've never had an algae problem like this??
No, I have no crabs or algae grazing fish & only 5 snails, but that's another topic.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2011 at 11:22am
A teaspoon of GFO won't do much for ya....chances are it is already exhausted.  Those with hair algae problems can typically exhaust a cup of GFO in 3 or 4 days until the initial spike in phosphate levels is decreased.  My algae didn't start dieing and falling off the rocks until I was up to 2 cups of GFO on my 90 gallon.  Work up to this though ( if you decide to use more GFO)....maybe do 1 cup for a week, empty, add a fresh 1 1/2 cups for 2 weeks, rinse, then add 2 cups and run for 2-3 weeks....at this point Green hair will start turning brown and will literally fall off the rocks.  This is when a turkey baster helps.  YOu need to suck out the dieing algae, because it is only just releasing the nutrients back into the tank if you don't.

Then for maintenance I would suggest maybe running 3/4 to 1 cup of GFO and change it out every 4-6 weeks.

Other things you can try they may have not been mentioned yet:

1. Skim Wetter
2. Larger Waterchanges if your TDS is 0 (worked for me, but some think this may feed the algae)
3.  Stop dosing everything except - Ca, Alk, & Mg
4. Feed less, only frozen or pellets, be sure to rinse the frozen first
5. Reduce light: especially any pink or purple bulbs you may be running
6. Add Large Turbo snails - yes they knock things over, but are such good algae cleaners, they will help you get on top of things.  (take a tooth brush to a rock first, they'll eat green hair algae but needs to be shorter than an inch)
7. Turkey baster/blow rocks out every few days, getting the detrius suspended and down to your skimmer area.
8. Chemicals that have a good track record and are generally reef safe: Chemiclean for cyna and Algaefix for the hair.

I personally would do the GFO and 1-7, in conjunction with everything else your doing.  4 weeks time, things will be drastically improved.

Chemicals I'd leave for the last result type thing.

Edited by bur01014 - August 17 2011 at 11:32am
smacky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smacky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2011 at 1:24pm

Don't have much to add, but I want to start to follow this thread as my cyano and hair algae have started to become an issue.

I've reduced feeding, added a lawnmower blenny, and reduced the time the lights run.

Here's a question. Has anybody ever seen a narrow (1/2" or so) siphon with bristles or a brush on the end? Something like the attachment for your vacuum:

but much smaller. I think this would be a great help in manual removal.
Jeffatpm View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffatpm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 3:28pm
I'd say yes to the flow over those areas to keep stuff from building up in that area, and I love my sand sifting(gold head) gobie other than he gets sand all over stuff on the sand bed and he moves little rocks to build himself a house - he doesn't touch the sand that already has cyano on it, simply keeps the sand sturred.  Cucumbers for me seem to hide all day and only work a small section of the tank.
Lawnmowers in my experiece was meh, but the Starry Blenny's are cool and do a good job.
210 Reef with loads of LEDS
Large Fishey Room
Located Near Jordan Landing in West Jordan.
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 6:22pm
My 150 has been established for about 4 years now and i medicate it once a year for Cyano.
Never had any issues with fish or corals.Fact of the matter is i just medicated this year last week.
Hair Algae.I myself have a patch or two in my tank and i use a soft bristled tooth brush to remove.Works well the algae sticks to the tooth brush for easy removal.I get it from overfeeding.I have alot of big carnivores and meat eating corals so i am alright with a little bit here and there.
To me it just seems to be a good balannce,Maybe iam wrong.
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2011 at 8:54pm
Can you post a pic of the entire tank and some close ups of the hair algae and cyano?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2011 at 9:26pm

Instead of a bunch of pictures, I shot this video instead:

You may notice that I have started to add in some of your suggestions to get a handle on the hair algae and cyano:

- Added (2) Aqueon 950 (gph) circ pumps to flow more water over the sandbed. Total flow in the display is approx 6,000 gph now (over 60X turnover)

- Added a Foxface, Kole Tang and (probably against my better judgement) another Clown Tang to help chow down on algae

- Added 22 lbs of additonal Fiji Live Rock

- Changed out the carbon in my reactor and tripled the amount of PO4 remover in the reactor (I was using 0.3 oz of Fluval powdered GFO resin; now running a full ounce)

- Cut the photoperiod on the VHO's (4 X 54w UVL Super Actinincs) from 10AM - 10 PM (12 hrs continuous) down to only 8 - 10 PM (2 hrs); the single 250w halide stays at 12 PM - 8:30 PM

- Added a Tiger Tail Cucumber to help turn over the sandbed... I have an order of (1) 3" Queen Conch and (20) 1" Nassarius Vibex snails coming in the next few days...

- I also checked my RO output and it is still at 002 ppm. I checked my parameters and the Mg was a little low (for my taste) at 1400; I boosted it up to 1600 ppm.

Overall,  the actual hair algae and cyano "problem"s are not horrific or overwhelming - but I would love to get rid of them once and for all...

Anything else you guys see that I could work on?

hedgefish View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2011 at 10:04pm
what is gfo,im new at this
hedgefish
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic