Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Utah Sand

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2011 at 8:33pm
Bacteria eat the waste or pollution of Nitrogen compounds(Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate).
The population of Bacteria in our tanks gradually increases to meet the level of pollution being produced by the animals we introduce. In the past all that hobbyists knew to do was wait it out. They watched the Nitrogen Cycle.
That's now old school.
The need to wait 6-8 weeks for bacteria to grow before we can have a reef aquarium can be completely avoided by following the procedure outlined in the Reefkeeping Tips thread linked below in my signature line.

Tip: Algae is a powerful water cleaner that works immediately.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2011 at 8:46pm
I have a sand sifting diamond goby that I love. No problems at all. He likes to dig caves up against and under the rocks which is fine as all rock work was complete prior to adding any sand. The sand bed is full of life without the brown look across the bed.

Keep the pictures coming. It's so enjoyable watching a reef tank come together.

Edited by DLindquist - August 27 2011 at 8:51pm
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic