Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

zoas need help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hedgefish View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: zoas need help
    Posted: August 26 2011 at 6:02pm
i have these green zoas and and these a couple weeks ago and they wont open up ,what to do please help,im running 150 halide with 2 t5 blue everything checks out,help
hedgefish
Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2011 at 6:07pm
Where are they sitting in your tank? Probably need to be low out of the current to get them to open. Then when they are healthy you can move them. How is everything else in the tank specifically zoas?
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

hedgefish View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2011 at 6:15pm

i think they are in stronger current,ill move them further away,do they need to be moved up closer to the light ,thanks

hedgefish
Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2011 at 6:24pm
Since its a newer addition they might be having a hard time with the lights. I would move them lower down in the tank to de stress then slowly move them up. I have seen some zoas that I thought were dead for sure all of a sudden pull through so I be they will be fine. Just leave them in a lower current are towards the bottom of your tank and I bet they will start to open up in a week or so.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2011 at 6:25pm
naw, they can be in med light and they'll be fine but get them out of the high flow. those beauties will open right up :)  
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
m.ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m.ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2011 at 6:37pm

Is your tank running hot because of the summer heat?  My zoa's always close if the water warms up on hot days like the last few days.  I cool my tank with fans, but if it's to hot the water still warms up a bit.  And it's been hot in the valley the last few days, that's for sure.

Edited by m.ash - August 26 2011 at 6:38pm
hedgefish View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2011 at 6:39pm
thanks guys ,went a did it ,will see what happens,cross my fingers,oh ya my toes too.
hedgefish
hedgefish View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2011 at 6:44pm
 about 79 right now
hedgefish
m.ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m.ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2011 at 6:53pm
I'm with aquariastnewbie then, 79 isn't bad.  I push 81 to 82 the last few days.  I really oughtta save my pennies and get a chiller.
hedgefish View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2011 at 6:59pm
boy the air conditioning in the house has help alot
hedgefish
Brandon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 6:23pm
What is the update?  Are the zoas opening up?
hedgefish View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2011 at 9:06am
no not vey many are opening,not sure what to do now
hedgefish
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2011 at 9:56am
Give them a good brushing under the tap.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2011 at 4:30pm
In my experience Zoas are either beyond easy and just grow or occasionally a pain in the butt.  I pretty much agree with what has been posted.  However, if you ended up pinching, pressing or otherwise molesting them when mounting they might take a while to open or never recover... 

That said, if they did not suffer the indignity of rough handling (not that I would know this from experience or anything like that) then I would move to new light/current situation and give them no more than 2-3 days to open, failing that spot MOVE again... until they die or open.  I have about 10 different varieties, and have had about 14 in the tank, in a few cases I have lost all but one until I found the magic and now have regrown to the point of selling frags.. so don't worry if it ends up being a bit tough, they are just weird- but easy when happy.  Most seem to like to start under low light for the first few days then I typically move to increasingly bright areas until they tell me to back off.  Some will do fine on the sand, others really like more light for fast growth- while I have a few that photo bleached so down they go...  It does not seem to correlate to color.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler -A.E.
57 Gallon RImless build in progress check the thread before if becomes boring and just full of nice pictures of colorful coral!
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2011 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by rufessor rufessor wrote:

In my experience Zoas are either beyond easy and just grow or occasionally a pain in the butt.  I pretty much agree with what has been posted.  However, if you ended up pinching, pressing or otherwise molesting them when mounting they might take a while to open or never recover... 

That said, if they did not suffer the indignity of rough handling (not that I would know this from experience or anything like that) then I would move to new light/current situation and give them no more than 2-3 days to open, failing that spot MOVE again... until they die or open.  I have about 10 different varieties, and have had about 14 in the tank, in a few cases I have lost all but one until I found the magic and now have regrown to the point of selling frags.. so don't worry if it ends up being a bit tough, they are just weird- but easy when happy.  Most seem to like to start under low light for the first few days then I typically move to increasingly bright areas until they tell me to back off.  Some will do fine on the sand, others really like more light for fast growth- while I have a few that photo bleached so down they go...  It does not seem to correlate to color.

LOL I had to just laugh at the description of the rough handling! Your hilarious!

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic