Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

120g of Goodness (2/8/12)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 120g of Goodness (2/8/12)
    Posted: August 30 2011 at 2:40am
Well I thought I would post up a sneak peak of the start of my new setup.  This time I will be doing the build thread the right way and taking pictures as I go.  I currently have a 90g which some of you have seen.

This I decided to get so I could have a bigger and deeper tank.  And can learn from my mistakes that I have already made with my 90g.  The new tank is only 30 gallons larger, but it is still a larger tank.  Tongue

The build will not be starting right away, but thought it would be nice to post up a sneak peek of what my plans are for my next setup.  After I get this ready to go I will be selling the 90g.

Edited by Quickness - February 08 2012 at 12:01pm
Molon Labe
Si vis pacem, para bellum
pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 8:34am
Nice! That looks like a sweet setup
See my house: www.eclecticvictorian.com
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 9:10am
Nice! Why are you not setting it up right away? Excited to see what you do with it!
Kristine Woolsey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristine Woolsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 9:29am
I like the deeper tank. think this tank will look good when done.
Kristine | Layton, UT | e-mail: [email protected]
Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 11:49am
The reason for not setting it up right away is I want to have new plumbing put in, really decide where I want this tank to go, and funds at the moment. I am pretty excited to get this one up and running.
Molon Labe
Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 4:47pm
Picked up a 6 bulb T5 fixture for the new setup, and will be bringing everything home real soon.  Trying to debate on sanding down the stand and canopy to go with a different stain.  I like the color of what it is now, but really like dark color stains.

Also thinking of what fish are going to go in the setup.  I think when I start to transfer everything over I will sell my Yellow tang and Coral Beauty. 

That will leave me with

Kole Tang
Lawnmower Blenny
Bi-Color Blenny
Watchman Goby & Pistol Shrimp
Cleaner Wrasse
2 Peppermint Shrimp
1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Harlequien Shrimp

2 fish that I already have decided on are a Blue Hippo Tang and a Sailfin Tang.  If anyone has any suggestion please chime in.  Keep in mind I am only planning on getting reef safe fish.  Will be staying away fish that are considered "with caution"

Edited by Quickness - September 21 2011 at 4:53pm
Molon Labe
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 5:03pm
NO NO NO, don't stain it darker :)... I love the look of the stand and canopy the way it is now.
 Very nice!
 Pam

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 6:45pm
I say go darker. We did with our 265 and love the way it turned out.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 9:06pm
Maybe it's just me, but I don't tend to like dark woods..Confused

davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by DLindquist DLindquist wrote:

I say go darker. We did with our 265 and love the way it turned out.

I would also go with a darker stain such as cherry not to dark but not to light
It's not about what you know but about who you know
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 10:28pm
Looks sweet! ClapClapClap

Take lots of pics and give lots of details!!!
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2011 at 1:08pm
Will be taking lots of pics and details for sure.  This is not going to be a quick setup.  I am going to do things right. 
I do think that I may coat the overflows with sand and shell but those would be the only thing that I do cover.  
Molon Labe
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2011 at 3:05pm
stain should depend on the rest of your furniture, wall color, and flooring.  Do what you want.  Looks like a good tank man.  I can't wait to see the progress!
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2011 at 1:28am
Love the look of natural wood but if u like darker i also like the depth of a dark dark cherry . Looks like a beautiful set up :) 

Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2011 at 3:06am
So just a quick update.. I decided to keep the tank the color that it is.  Just looks better where it is going to go with the lighter color stain. 

Plumbing has been started and hopefully this should be done this weekend.  I will be taking some pictures and posting them up here pretty shortly.  I will take pics of the plumbing and some of the new equipment going into the tank.

We are going to have to reinforce the stand a bit before getting her all filled up.  Had to cut a bit more then anticipated to get the 50g sump in the back.  Makes me wish that it had doors on the both end for easier access to the that area.  Oh well will have to make due with it and learn to work around it.

Biggest worry is moving all of the sand and water.  I really do not want to have a big cycle in the new tank and I have heard some bad things about moving sand beds.  Any suggestion would be awesome for this.

Pics coming soon...
Molon Labe
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2011 at 11:23am
Sounds great so far! Looking forward to the pictures!
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2011 at 3:01pm
Looking forward to seeing it come along Jared! :)

Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2011 at 8:16pm
Here are a few pics from the progress that we have made in the last couple days.  I got all of my bulbs for my t5 fixture.  We are just about done and going to be doing a water test for the seals probably tomorrow.

Some shot of the plumbing

And my controller

Molon Labe
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2011 at 9:11pm
Cool:-) um if I remember right the probes need to stay wet or they are ruined. I could be wrong but make sure you find out.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2011 at 10:02pm
If that's the case they already were when I got it :(
Molon Labe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic