Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

120g of Goodness (2/8/12)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2011 at 10:13pm

Biggest worry is moving all of the sand and water.  I really do not want to have a big cycle in the new tank and I have heard some bad things about moving sand beds.  Any suggestion would be awesome for this.

Pics coming soon...
[/QUOTE]

I would suggest scooping up some of your existing top layer of sand for use in the new setup, then either use all new sand or throughly wash all of your old sand in fresh water repeatedly. Simply place a five gallon bucket under the faucet while stirring up your sand. Continue until the run over water is clear.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2011 at 3:31am
Here are a couple more.  The tank is done and we are just diong some water test on the plumbing.  Should be very soon that the move starts!

Pretty excited to have this ready to go.  More pics will come as we start the rock scapping and everything else. 

3 fish are getting an eviction notice upon the move. 
My yellow tang, coral beauty, and bicolor blenny(Devil Fish)
Yellow tang is leaving because he is rather aggresive towards my sailfin.. And I like my sailfin a lot more.
Coral beauty is leaving because I am trying to move away for "with caution" reef fish
Bicolor is lucky he does not get a funeral... This is a Devil spawn in a fish.. Eats clams and other soft coral..

Molon Labe
Si vis pacem, para bellum
jaschall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaschall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2011 at 8:54am
How much for the yellow tang? I would be interested

Edited by jaschall - October 28 2011 at 9:02am
wick246 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wick246 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2011 at 11:56am
That's a great looking tank Quickness! You must stay up late working on them, all your new tank posts are late at night. Smile
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2011 at 12:07pm
Jared this new set  up is going to be amazing! I know you are very excited about it, I look forward to watching the process.
 Pam

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2011 at 2:14pm
Thanks guys!  And no I just get off work at 11 so I have to do my stuff later in the evening. 
Molon Labe
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2011 at 2:27pm
Looking really good! 120 gal is probably my favorite tank, this is going to be awesome!

Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2011 at 5:26pm
Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. I don't know if you've decided on a plan of action for moving the sand bed yet or not. DLindquist's ideas is solid. There may be another safe way to do it that would save a little more of the good biology. Also, the age and maintenance of the sand bed is critical. If it's relatively new, and/or you've done a lot of gravel vac-ing, then it's already fairly safe. If not, and even regardless of the age, I would do a few good water changes before the move, and make sure you gravel vac really well. You could even do this after you remove the livestock and rocks to make sure you get the pockets you couldn't get to.
90G Mixed Reef
Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2011 at 8:21pm
Okay so here is an update of the tank.  Sorry it has taken me so long to do this.. 

All Pics were taken with my old iPhone.. So quality is not there.. Anyone know someone up north with great camera skills please let me know..
Also all my lights were on for pretty much every shot.. Like to present what it actually looks like.

Some of the pictures are already old and coral has been moved around a bit, but you will get the general idea of what is going on for now.

Oh and almost forgot.. I did not have anything pass away with the move from the 90g to the 120g!Clap

Here is what you come to the threads for!Star

Full shot
Left Side
Center
Right Side

And here are some pics of various Coral and Fish that I have in my system right now.  I am pretty stocked on fish, but really enjoy watching them interact with one another. (I'm addicted to Tangs)
Sail-fin Tang
Blond Naso Tang
Clown Tang
My Blue Hippo and Kole Tang were being a little camera shy.. Sorry no pics of them at the moment.

Here are a couple of my newest additions.
Solar Wrasse
Mystery Wrasse

Here are some of my current Chalice frags.  I have another on my frag rack, but unable to get a good picture of the rainbow of colors in it so I am leaving that out.   I got it from Gonzo at the reef fest.
And the biggest one that I have to date..

My welso (A large portion of this was bleached when I purchased it.  Happy to say colors are coming back in great.)  And there is my Powder Brown Tang

Can never remember what exactly these are called.. It is a type of Acan.. Acan Maxima

Clams

Here are some of my Zoas and frags on the frag rack (Some of which are for sale)
Can't remember what these are.
Red People Eaters
Spider-mans
Candy Apples
Armor of Gods and my Aussie Blastos
Blue Tubs
Purple Death Palys
Here are some that are on the frag rack..
Eagle Eye, Sunny D's, Magicians, Lunar Eclipse, Chocolate Mint, Cat Eye, and Tyree Space Monsters
Here is a better picture of the Tyree Space Monsters..
Some of the SPS that I have right now, but can not get good pics of are..
Green Garf Bonsai, Pearl Berry, Tri color Vilda, Red Planet, Poker Star Monti, Orange Monti, Green Monti, Purple Haze Monti, Couple different types of Birds Nest one of them starts with a P and I can never remember how the heck to say it or spell it.. lol It is a rainbow color.

There will be more to come as I keep going
Here is my fish and invert List
Watchman/Pistol Pair
Blond Naso Tang
Blue Hippo Tang
Kole Tang
Clown Tang
Sail-fin Tang
Powder Brown Tang
Cleaner Wrasse
Six-line Wrasse
Mystery Wrasse
Solar/Clown Wrasse
Mandarin
Fire Fish
Rainfords Goby
Blue Eye Anthias (I think)
Blue Spot Jawfish(MIA Fear the worst)
Cleaner Shrimp
Fire Shrimp
A bunch of snails and crabs
Cucumber
And I am probably forgettin something, but when I remember I will update..

Edited by Quickness - November 15 2011 at 9:21pm
Molon Labe
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2011 at 8:44pm
Nice update:) Stuff is looking good!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2011 at 8:45pm
Jared my friend, it looks amazing!
Pam

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2011 at 9:07pm
Tank looks awesome man! I recently upgraded to a 120 also and love it.
pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2011 at 9:24pm
things are looking sweet man.   Nice work
See my house: www.eclecticvictorian.com
Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2011 at 9:29pm
Thanks.  The tank is still pretty new as tank standards go right now, but so far so good. 
Need a good underwater camera and some picture lessons.

Still working on getting my controller up and working the way I would like and soon plan on purchasing a  Calcium reactor to help maximize my corals health!
Molon Labe
Brandon1985 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandon1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2011 at 6:13am
Nice
24G JBJ Nano with LEDS

Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2011 at 9:10am
Looks GREAT!
Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2011 at 4:05am
I will for sure be working on getting better pictures.  Any suggestions on how to take better shots of tank and coral? 

Only digital camera that I have is a older Canon SD750 ELPH
Molon Labe
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2011 at 8:02am
Originally posted by Quickness Quickness wrote:

I will for sure be working on getting better pictures.  Any suggestions on how to take better shots of tank and coral? 

Only digital camera that I have is a older Canon SD750 ELPH

I used to have the same Canon ELPH, and could take decent pics of corals with it.

Things that worked for me. Turn off all other lights in room. Use a tripod. Whenever possible, use the macro setting, but for corals that are further in the tank, turn macro off.
"A fish tank is not a pet. It's a TV that you gotta feed." - John Caparulo
Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2012 at 12:52am
Ok so I think it is time for an update.  I have been able to take some better pics with my new phone.  These are the first that I have shot with it so I will learn more about it and get better as I go.

Full Tank Shot

And I'll just throw in some other misc pics.
CARs
This one will be super sexy when it gets bigger!
This one also
I will call him MINI me
My first welso
Hell Fire Chalice
The new baby
Molon Labe
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2012 at 8:04am
Jared, this is looking good.  I can't imagine the probs would have been delivered wet, but maybe I guess? I am sure you are fine.  Looks like I need to bug you for some frags :)
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic