Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Phyto Culture

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jeffatpm View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffatpm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Phyto Culture
    Posted: September 07 2011 at 5:08pm

I'm dying paying for phyto in little bottles to keep my rotifer cultures growing.

I want to start a phyto culture to feed my rotifers and wanted to hear everyone’s experiences with this and if anyone knows what's all involved.

And of course I'm going to need to pick up a culture to get mine underway.

Thanks

Kevin

Learning Breeding Enthusiast :-P

210 Reef with loads of LEDS
Large Fishey Room
Located Near Jordan Landing in West Jordan.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2011 at 6:03pm
I've been at this a long time and have grown hundreds of gallons of Phyto.
Algae paste is so much better for so many reasons, that I cannot overemphasize it. See the Feeding Program thread for a little more info about algae paste from BSD.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Jeffatpm View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffatpm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2011 at 8:28pm
Mark, Are you saying Phyto or Rotifers?  I read through the forum and didn't see anything about Phyto, did I miss it?
Large Fishey Room
jmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 8:58am
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 2:49pm
Nannochloropsis is all I have ever used.
 Pam

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

Jeffatpm View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffatpm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2011 at 11:01am
So let me make sure I understand.  Do you use the nannochloropsis to feed the rotifers or to feed the phyto?
Large Fishey Room
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2011 at 11:41am
Nannochloropsis IS the phytoplankton algae that can be fed to Rotifers.

The simple answer to your original question is different than you were looking for. Phyto cultures too easily crash. I save myself all that trouble by buying the filtered and densely concentrated single celled algae that someone else grew and prepared for me.

Does that help? Smile
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2011 at 1:15pm
If one wanted to culture their own Phyto for fun, what would you recommend using to feed the phyto culture?
Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2011 at 3:46pm
Arthur- it isn't fun.

Adam
ps- but I'd use fertilizer from Florida Aqua Farms
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Jeffatpm View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffatpm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2011 at 10:37pm
Thanks Mark that does, I've been picking up rotifer feast for $20 for a small bottle and it just seems to only last a couple weeks with my two buckets of rotifers.  I'll give BSD's stuff a try and see how that lasts and hopefully is a better value.

Adam - HUH?
Large Fishey Room
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2011 at 12:54pm
I believe Adam is saying that growing phyto is fun until it crashes, and crashes and crashes...
That takes all the fun out of it.
Fertilizer helps it grow faster so the fun part comes quicker, until it crashes again. Angry

If you look at the economics of it, how much algae you get per dollar spent, algae paste is about 10 times the value, meaning for each dollar you spend on BSD's algae paste, you get 10 times more algae than is in a dollars worth of Reef Nutrition Phyto Feast. There is absolutely no question that it's a better value.
Jeffatpm View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffatpm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2011 at 3:19pm
Ok fair enought, Yeah i was buying an equivolent that seemed pricey.  I was thinking a phyto culture would be a cheaper alternative.
Thank you for the response on experience.
Large Fishey Room
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2011 at 1:41pm
Yes, phyto paste is the only way to go. It is super cheap, works great, and it is the way to raise rotifers which is a great way to raise many baby fish.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic