Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Successful Batch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Jeffatpm View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffatpm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2011 at 6:05pm
I have a led par 38 bulb from home depot, and it is not directly above them, it's to the side of their box.
210 Reef with loads of LEDS
Large Fishey Room
Located Near Jordan Landing in West Jordan.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2011 at 6:11pm
In my tank the larvae just kind of dissolved soon after they died.
Maroon larvae are so much smaller than Percula/Ocellaris, If it were me, I'd just focus on the Percula larvae. They are much more popular than Maroons anyway.

I also noticed that bright light right over the larvae. I can see from the pic that it's much closer to the larvae than I would do. My larvae tank had very little light over it. Have you seen the pics? Before I left, did you see my Clownfish Nursery?

I'm wondering if we might start at the beginning to evaluate your setup? Would that be okay?

What size is this tank and why is it divided into 6 sections?

Edited by Mark Peterson - September 13 2011 at 6:14pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2011 at 6:16pm
Wow, I actually agree with Mark LOL. The maroon Larvae are much smaller and in my experience, much harder to raise. I too would concentrate on getting the percs down first. High five Mark.. we actually agree...Embarrassed.
 Pam

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

Jeffatpm View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffatpm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2011 at 10:55pm
Mark, if you look at the second pic you'll see the light is to the side of the larva tank, not right above it.
Yeah I'm game to evaluate the entire process and setup, that's why I started this post.
I divided the 120 gallon (4x2) into the six sections to keep each set of parents in their own section(the overflow sections) and then can put their babies on each side as they grow older.  The section in the middle is unused at this time and I was thinking another species like cardinals or dragonetts, but one species at a time.

I did see pictures of your setup.  I want to somehow keep the larva in this tank so that there is so much water flow I don't have to worry about ammonia spikes or similar that could cause them all to die - hence the modified acclimatization box.

The larger larva most definitely would be easier to start, the maroon's are the ones that get busy every week, this last week was the perc's first clutch of eggs.
Large Fishey Room
Jeffatpm View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffatpm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2011 at 5:21pm

Gosh I'm getting a bit frustrated with this whole process - Still no sucess.  I had a couple other batches and added a small amount of algea paste into the babie container and by morning babies were all dead.

The rotifer buckets keep going from full and doing well to dead so fast.  Frustrating because I hear people say you  have to change out half the bucket daily, but Mark you've indicated that you changed out the water when it gets foamy on top from the amonia.

I think I may try the separate tank soon and figure out something to work a bit better. - Is it essentially you pull the eggs out and use a bubbler or you have them hatch with the parents and then pull the parents out after the babies hatch?

Thanks for everyones support and motivation.
Large Fishey Room
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2011 at 10:52pm
 I can understand your frustration, I did the same thing. It took me about 5 hatches before I got it down.  I would definitely stick with your percs rather then maroons, they are far more difficult.

I guess I didn't do what is normal with my rotifers. I filtered out my rots like once a month Shocked..  Do you have rigid tubing in the rotifer buckets with a bubbler running bubbles? I typically run a bubble per second.

You will get it down.  I find raising them in a 10 gallon the easiest. I collect the larvae after they hatch from their parents and put them in the 10 gallon to raise.

If you would like me to come over one day I would be more then happy too.

Pam

Jeffatpm View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffatpm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2011 at 9:20pm
Pam, Sure if your in the area, I'm at like 39th and 9th.  I'll be around most the day tomorrow and am usually here in the mornings.  I work wed-sat PM sun AM.
Text so I know to be home.
Large Fishey Room
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2011 at 9:24pm
The weekends work best for me, but  I would be more then happy to come over :). We can get all excited over our fish nerdism.. lol.
 I will text you when I get a better idea..:)

Pam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic