Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cloudy water

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
tammy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cloudy water
    Posted: September 11 2011 at 7:57am
I have a 120 gal, tank it has been up and running since march of this year.  All has been well until yesterday. When I got home from work the water was really cloudy.  I did all of my tests and everthing looks good the filter bag in the sump was running water out of the top so I took it out and washed it.  The medium in the bag has only been in for a few weeks so it's not bad. My corals don't look to good everything is closed down.  this is the first salt tank I have had and there is no one in my area for help!! Maybe I should have bought guppies!!  Any Ideas would be great

toviatt
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2011 at 8:05am
Pictures-Pictures-Pictures.
Your dirty filter bag could be causing the problem. Maybe even an algae bloom?
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2011 at 8:05am
Cloudy water usually ends up being a bacterial bloom. The best way to fight it is with a UV sterilizer. It will kill the bacteria and your skimmer should then be able to clear up the water.
----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
tammy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2011 at 8:16am
Hate to sound stupid but what is bacteria bloom???
toviatt
tammy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2011 at 8:19am
I bought this tank used and it doesn't have a uv sterilizer sounds like I need to get one

toviatt
sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2011 at 10:10am
what are your test results salinity alk calcium ammonia nitrite and nitrates will tell us the most and what are all the things that you did in the last week or 2 such as water changes extra feedings if and any dosing done

bacteria blooms are caused by excessive protein in the water that can be converted to ammonia then nitrite and then nitrate this process is consistently going on but if your proteins become to high from over feeding, fish dieing, or chemical imbalance or swing causing things to die then your ammonia nitrites and nitrates will become at toxic levels and you will see a resulting algae bloom and possibly cloudy water as described not seeing or talking directly to you I would say 50% water change will help followed by one in the next day or 2 if things dont start looking better

you can call me my number is below in my signature if you need any advise
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2011 at 10:21am
Originally posted by tammy tammy wrote:

...The medium in the bag has only been in for a few weeks so it's not bad.
...My corals don't look to good everything is closed down. 
...this is the first salt tank I have had and there is no one in my area for help!! Maybe I should have bought guppies!!  Any Ideas would be great

You have come to the right place for help. Guppies are great but they can become boring compared to the amazing variety and growing life of all types in a reef aquarium. How did you find utahreefs.com?

Corals do eat bacteria but when it's gone wild like this, they will temporarily close up. Not to worry, they will open again when the bloom fades.

The easiest method we have found to clear the water is twofold:
- First, stop all feeding and supplements, except Alk and Ca supplementation.
- Second, add a bag of AC to the system. AC stands for Activated Carbon. In my experience, AC is the only special filtration product that is absolutely necessary for all reef aquariums. All other necessary filtration is the biofiltration accomplished by the four live components spoken of here: Reefkeeping Tips
AC is pretty much used up after 2 weeks so it needs replacing, but I have found that running AC for 2 weeks/month is sufficient for effective removal of the things that AC removes.

What is the "medium in the bag" that you spoke of? Is it AC? Where is this bag located in the system? AC is most easily placed in a high flow area, like a loose bag of about 2 cups of AC near a pump intake where the water will run past the AC granules allowing for quick removal of the organic matter which is feeding the bacteria bloom. Placing it in the filter sock is counter productive since the particulate matter that a filter sock is meant to remove will clog the bag of AC.
Some hobbyists choose to buy a "Reactor" to place their AC in, but this is simply one more aquarium gadget that takes up space and electricity. I prefer to KISS. Embarrassed

Edited by Mark Peterson - September 11 2011 at 10:27am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2011 at 1:52pm
KISS stands for keep it simple stupid in case you dont know
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
rwccomptech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwccomptech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2011 at 2:06pm
I go down to elmo every few weeks, thats right next to hunnington. It does sound like you need a uv.
Ron
20g
60x turnover
30" current pc fixture
tammy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2011 at 6:33am
I would really be interested in our opinion of my tank.  I haven't had any help other than what I have read here and there.  I think I know what went wrong with it.  I had a glass anenome and so I took the large piece of rock out of the tank that it was on and put it in the sink to get rid of the pest, ( I read this on a site on how to kill them with vinegar) it never said anything about air in the rock or re-cycling the rock after the process.. SOOO I made a mistake and it will take time for that rock to heal, do I need to shake it even though it had been in for several days to get the air out of it?  
toviatt
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2011 at 8:36am
Using vinegar is not the best way to get rid of aptasia/glass anemones. There are several other options, peppermint shrimp is one that several people have used successfully. Using the vinegar to get rid of the pest could have contributed to the issue. What is your pH as vinegar will alter it? Also there is a chance that the die off on the rock fed the bacteria and caused it to bloom. I would do a check of all essential parameters (pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, alk, ca, salinity) to see which one is off.

In the meantime, follow Mark's advice with the AC and stop feeding for awhile. Also if you have a refugium with macro in it, run the lights 24/7 until it clears out. If you don't then see if you can get some chaeto or other macro algae to place in the display tank and sump. When you put it in the sump, get a cheap clip on shop light and a 65K twist CF bulb and run it 24/7. The reason is that the macro will help act as a buffer when the bacteria starts to die off. The die off will cause your tank to get polluted and the macro will help to absorb the stuff.
----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2011 at 2:41pm
The issue would be with the die off after having the rock out of the tank, not the vinegar unless it was poured over it. I highly recommend injecting vinegar. I have used it and seen it used many many times with awesome success with out causing any issues.

I personally cant have peppermint shrimp in my 225 because my mystery wrasse eats them.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2011 at 4:07pm
Yes, even after a week, if the rock is not underneath too much other rock making it a pain to move, I would twist, turn and shake it to see if any trapped bubbles can be released.

We recommended ceasing all feeding. Soon the bacteria will run out of food. In fact if left alone it will eat until it starves and the water will clear naturally. The use of AC and lighting macroalgae 24/7 is a way to ensure that it doesn't come back. If you can't have a Refugium with macroalgae, just put a bunch of Macroalgae in the tank up high where the light can shine on it.
FYI, a UV Sterilizer may still be needed as a last resort after simpler things have been tried.

You are awesome. I like your attitude. We can help you with all things reef.
Please feel free to post a pic of your tank, maybe even a before pic if you have one. A picture is worth 1000 words. It may seem crazy, but we can often see things in a picture that help us make suggestions. If you can't figure how to post a pic here or if it's a cell phone pic, try to email it to me at [email protected] or send it to the phone # below.
tammy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2011 at 6:33pm
mark,
 I will send a pic for you to look at. I'm not sure if my rock is right or if I have enough?? All the rock came with the tank,  I bought new sand when I got the tank because there wasn't much in it, so I added to what was there. The sand and rock were in water and we hurried the set up so I didn't get a great amount of time to set rock were I want ( hard for a perfectionist) But I keep tweaking it a little here and there.  Does anyone ship the algae you were talking about? Or do you know of a place in the Provo Orem area? I have only found one store in Orem for Salt Water and it only opens at 2:00 I run my own business and if I go upstate (not often) I am there in the morning.  I have a daughter if Salt Lake that come down on the weekends from she doesn't leave up there until Sat. afternoon so if there is a place to get the Algae please let me know.  A lot of the stuff that I get I have to order in.  Thanks Tammy ( my tank looks good today do I need to take the bag filled with the chemi pure out of the filter sock?
toviatt
russianrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russianrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2011 at 10:37pm
There are at least two stores in the Provo/Orem area that I know of and can recommend.  One is up in Orem at around 800 North-ish called Reef Runners.  Another is Jay's Jungle on Center street in Provo between 200 and 400 West.  You might look them up on the internet to be sure on those addresses, but I got a phone number for Reef Runners (801) 226-3474.  The phone number for Jay's Jungle is (801) 356-7387.  I would call them and ask if they have any macro algae.  If they don't, I believe there is someone in the Orem area that might have some chaeto you could have.  You should check in the aquarium classifieds on this site.
In Soviet Russia, Fish collect YOU!
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2011 at 11:52pm
could it be a simple case of fine sand particulates floating around that had been distrubed by something?
russianrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russianrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2011 at 12:58am
If it were fine particulate, it would have cleared up by now.
In Soviet Russia, Fish collect YOU!
tammy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2011 at 6:31am
thank you so very much!!
toviatt
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2011 at 6:46pm
Is this pic you sent me they way it looks with cloudy water?

tammy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2011 at 7:30pm
Mark,
 I took that pic yesterday when I got home and the water looks a 100 times better still not crystal clear,  I think my filter bagg was a problem it was blocked I rinsed it out, I still have the bag of chemi-pure inside of it?? Not sure if I should take it out and put it in the bottom of the sump tank or leave it in the bag?? How about my rock?? do I need more space between them or do I need them higher in the tank?  Not sure about the placement and the water flow. My return has two tubes and I have them pointed one going down about half and one making waves on the top. On the otherside of the tank I have a power head that curculates back to the side??
toviatt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic