Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HELP Get me into MH for CHEEP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP Get me into MH for CHEEP
    Posted: January 25 2005 at 3:09pm

Yea I know  But seriosly. It's getting to be time. I had a deal (sorta) that fell through on a dual 400w 20k setup for cheep.

I have a softie tank. It will mostly be softies. It has several leathers (some green) frogspawn, shrooms, misc. It is a 48x24x24 tank. I currently run 4 55w. pc actinics and 4 55w. 10k whites. 10hrs each with about a 2 hr late bleed on the actinics at night.

I really want to bring out the greens in my tank. I want to be able to grow whatever I want, but not kill the softies.

I am thinking 2 10-15k 250w. MH retrofits. I'd maybe like 20k's too but dunno....

I want a good electronic balast that will last 50 years, bulbs I can get easy when they die, and lighting that will do the job.

I have seen a few posts here of local MH balasts anywhere from 75-125$ range. or do i order an icecap? Why is one better that the other?

where is the best place to get all the stuff? roughly how much can i do it for? I don't have 600 to spend I really dont want to either.....

I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2005 at 3:33pm
I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna
Riley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2005 at 3:58pm
Take a look at these Sky good and cheap   you can even upgrade to xm bulbs for like 15 bucks + they are electronic ballests       Riley
Riley     Herriman
scubadave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scubadave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2005 at 4:36pm
I have an extra 250 Watt MH ballast with capacitor that I got on e-bay for 45.00 if interested and I also have a bunch of 400 Watt MV that I want to convert to MH but I guess you would have to buy a retro ballast, Don't know but an electrician at work said that it will start and run a 400 Watt MH bulb but I haven't tried that yet!!
My Tank
220 Reef
4-400 watt metal halides
2- 72� V.H.O.
2- 1200 GPH Pumps
My Pride & Joy
Tremonton,Utah
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2005 at 5:25pm

This is the best prices I can find online -

http://oceanencounter.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY &Store_Code=OE&Category_Code=spe

Or you can wait a bit and buy my whole tank setup with some kickin lights when I finally move my stuff into my new tank.

Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2005 at 6:34pm

You could always do two Iwasakis 6500K with the MV ballasts so you don't need to convert.

Oceanencounter.com is one of the cheapest sites ive seen. I also like DIYreef.com and hellolights.com

Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2005 at 8:46pm

so on ocean counter, what balasts do they run? How good are they? How do you know if they are good or not?

hm. shane you have mail

Magna
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2005 at 9:09pm

what is the diff between MV and MH? I know it's been covered....

hey dave, is that the ballast you are talking about? Is that from that school or whatever that errr. college cleaning house a while ago?

riley... no link

Magna
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2005 at 9:18pm
if I did buy new. it's dollars cheeper to go 400w instead of 250. at 20k would i still fry my system? I will go bigger eventually. (new house)

Magna
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2005 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Skyetone Skyetone wrote:

so on ocean counter, what balasts do they run? How good are they? How do you know if they are good or not?

Skyetone, I bought two 250W Icecap Electronic balasts from Ocean Encounter. Personally, I love them. When I move my system downstairs, I will be buying a third. They package them with bulbs usually and when I did the math, I saveed about $100 over what everyone else was trying to sell them for. I did alot of research before I purchased too. Just my experience.

I should add. If you are talking about the least expensive, useable setup, Jon Finch has the DIY answer. You might want to do a Search The ForumSearch for metal halide diy in the forum. He wrote something pretty extensive if memory serves me correctly.

Edited by Carl
In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2005 at 9:26pm
good to know.... anyone on http://www.aquariumlight.com/index.asp experience? I guess an icecap is an icecap eh.... is that the best out there?

Magna
scubadave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scubadave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2005 at 9:43pm

MV= Mercury Vapor But they use a S51 Bulb so I suppose they are actually a HPS=High Pressure Sodium

At any rate I got them out of the rafters of a building we took down, They would only be good for a DIY project But that is all I've got in my tank to cheap to buy new

I could bring a couple to the meeting if your interested in trying to make something out of them.

I bought my coil ballast and Capacitors on e-bay for around 55.00 with shipping so thats a good place to look to find things like that, Doser Pumps ETC.

My Tank
220 Reef
4-400 watt metal halides
2- 72� V.H.O.
2- 1200 GPH Pumps
My Pride & Joy
Tremonton,Utah
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2005 at 7:22pm
I think I will go new... but thanx.

Magna
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2005 at 1:46pm
During the reef tour a guy came by that said he has a friend with used MH ballasts for $30. Call me if you're interested.

>edit< Well, this was the friend of a cousin that has an uncle that went to prison and lost everything in his house. Needless to say this was a dead end!

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Kull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2005 at 11:50am

Hey check out this site:

http://aquaticlight.com/retrofit.html

"So this is what gives meaning to your life." -Unknown

Daniel in Santaquin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic