Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Banggai cardinalfish spawning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
hedgefish View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Banggai cardinalfish spawning
    Posted: September 17 2011 at 5:35pm
well it looks like we got a breeding pair and they did the dance and now dads not eating and mom is watching and protecting him real close,this is going to be real interesting,this is a first for us here watching,its pretty neat,i hear dad doesnt eat for quiet a while,will see,seems like his lower jaw has gotten alot bigger.will keep you informed.Tongue
hedgefish
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2011 at 6:40pm
Click on the Seastar tab and open up April 2008.

I wrote a pretty comprehensive article on breeding these fish.

Good luck Big smile
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
hedgefish View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2011 at 6:44pm
I will.thanks
hedgefish
m.ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m.ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2011 at 12:18am
That is awesome!!!  I tried for a while but could never get a succesful pair.  Keep us posted, I'd love some captive bred ones again, especially if their from the valley already.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2011 at 1:50am
Bangaii
I'd also check out the Feb 2002 Seastar.

The first time is usually a loss. Be patient. The dad will learn how to hold them full term.

Caught at night, here's dad with one baby visible

The new babies

10 weeks old, nose to tail as big as a dime, cute as a button

Adult living around a Condylactis Anemone.

Mike Savage takes great photos. It's gonna be a great meeting. Wish I could be there.

Edited by Mark Peterson - September 18 2011 at 2:13am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
hedgefish View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2011 at 7:46am
i tryed getting a pair for a long time,got these and luck out,will see how things go.
hedgefish
hedgefish View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2011 at 7:47am
will keep you posted
hedgefish
hedgefish View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2011 at 12:10pm
if dad doesnt eat for 2 weeks how does he get nutrients,that must be hard for him to do.
hedgefish
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2011 at 1:54pm
The male Banggai does not eat for about 1 month
You will need to feed him well after the babies are born
And don't put him back with the female for at least 2 weeks so he can fatten up a bit

hedgefish View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2011 at 1:56pm

sure but how does he survive without eating

hedgefish
hedgefish View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2011 at 2:19pm
heres a picture of dad,will see if he holds out from eating
hedgefish
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2011 at 2:48pm
Trust me, he can go without food for the duration of the spawning and he will be just fine...

hedgefish View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2011 at 2:52pm
thanks
hedgefish
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2011 at 12:48pm
After having kept freshwater and saltwater fish for 45 years, since I was 12, I have come to the conclusion that fish can absorb nutrients from the water. I don't know just how much of this happens but I'm fairly certain that it does. It may happen as they drink the water, or via their gills or even their skin, but it happens.

I've seen many fish survive without feeding for extended periods of time.
The research of biologists over the centuries has taught the world about many strange variations/adaptations in feeding among watery animals.
hedgefish View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2011 at 2:10pm
i think this is pretty cool,watching each day he comes out for food looks at it,turns around and leaves,but mom ,she sure munches out for the two of them,boy is she ever so protective of him,she keeps other fish out of the way,she stays pretty close to him,i hope he can hold out,they say the first time he might not hold out.
hedgefish
hedgefish View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2011 at 9:16pm
heres another picture of mom and dad,well sort of,if he can handle it
hedgefish
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2011 at 9:39pm
As long as he is carrying eggs/fry he will not eat, so it may be necessary to separate them for a short time after the fry are collected to feed him up again. Otherwise they will sometimes go right back to spawning and he will starve to death. 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 10:56am
My experience has been different than Steve's. I've had Bangaii spawn again and again, never removed the dad and never had any deaths due to starvation or overspawning.
hedgefish View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 11:01am
but you do remove the babies
hedgefish
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 11:37am
I find it easiest to remove the 'pregnant' male when it get close to the time he is going to release the babies, rather than trying to catch the babies post - birthing...

How will you know when it is getting close to the time for the male to release the babies?

1) Count the days since they "did the dance"... around 25 days out is usually close.

2) However, the best indicator is that you will actually be able to catch glimpses of the babies moving around in his mouth when it gets close to the day of release.

I used the 'instant lights on' method to catch the male... this only works if you have T5 or other flo lighting (won't work with halides)

A) when the sun goes down and it starts to get dark, make the fish tank room as dark as possible (shut the blinds, draw the curtains, turn off all room lights, nightlights, etc)

B) wait a few hours after dark, then enter the room with your aquarium net and turn on your aquarium lights.

C) The instant change from pitch black dark to bright will stun the fish and they will be temporarily blinded. Don't worry, this will not harm them.

D) Simply swoop in with your net and catch the fish. Transfer to your holding tank as quickly as you can.

Sometimes the male will spit out some of the babies, so be prepared for that... if you are quick enough usually he won't.

Usually the male releases the babies a few at a time, over the course of maybe 8 hours or overnight... once he has released them all get him out of there and preferably to his own space where he can eat well, rest up and regain his strength. I never had a male die from being returned with the female and then spawning again shortly thereafter; however, I did notice that the number of live babies went way down if the male did not get at least a few weeks time to recover.

The other key to having the babies survive is live food preparation.  For Banggai babies, you will need to start them on newly - hatched Brine shrimp right after they are 'born' and they need to be fed several times a day.

Another great food is frozen Cyclopeeze. However, in my experience you need the live food first, then wean them on to frozen after a couple of weeks. I treid starting them off with frozen once and lost alot of babies to starvation the first week.

The cool thing about Banggais is that their fry are about as easy to take care of as baby guppies, once they are 'born'. Just make sure they have a safe place to grow up, and get plenty of food and generally I have found I didn't lose too many fry after birth.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic