Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hello

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
wick246 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wick246 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello
    Posted: September 18 2011 at 6:47pm
Hi there,

My name is Chad and I stumbled across this forum while searching for info on salt water tanks. I have read some posts and have to commend you on how friendly and helpful you all are - it's quite refreshing. I am completely new to aquariums but am very interested in having a reef tank some day. My wife and I are hoping to buy a used tank sometime after the first of the year and beginning our adventure. We would like a 120 - 150 gallon tank with a very nice stand and and top to put in our living room. I'm a little worried about the cost of lights, pumps and filtration but am having a great time learning while I wait. Thanks for all the inspiration and the great forum! 
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2011 at 7:35pm
WELCOME!!!! It's great to have you here.

I recommend checking out some tanks in your area. You'll meet some cool people and get some great ideas on what it is you want to keep.

Enjoy the ride!

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2011 at 1:52pm
I agree with Adam. Checking out other hobbyist tanks and learning from them is the way I gained much of my knowledge. I've tried to pass on that knowledge and experience in the threads linked below.
Personally, I'd suggest three things:
1. Read the "Secrets of an Affordable Reef Aquarium" linked in Reefkeeping Tips below.
2. Visit a few of the hobbyists here. Just start a topic asking who lives near. Many will offer for you to come visit, see their "pride and joy" and pic their brains for info.
3. Don't wait until next year. Start out now with a smaller tank to get your feet wet. There is much to learn in this hobby. If you try to do it big in your living room from the start, you will find too many regrets wishing you had known this or that and wishing you had done it differently from the start.

It used to be the standard response to new hobbyists that a large tank was more stable and easier to care for. We've come a long way since the days of that advice. We know so much more about the biology that we can now suggest 10-20 gal tanks are the best way to get started. It's less expensive and easy to use the stuff in the small tank to start the larger upgrade when the time comes that you find yourself totally hooked. Wink
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2011 at 6:53pm
I totally agree with Mark. Get your feet wet and then when you have a good handle on reef chemistry and maintaining good water parameters then go big. It's going to be much less cost dependent with a smaller aquarium. On a large tank depending on what you want to keep the costs for equipment can be significant to say the least. While you are working with your smaller tank you can really plan out your upgrade. Plan out all the things you want to keep in the tank and then buy the equipment necessary without cutting corners. You'll find that while it costs more up front it will save you money and headache in the long run because you won't have to upgrade your equipment down the line.

Also as everyone has mentioned if you have any questions or need help let me know, I'm always happy to help out!  
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2011 at 8:08pm
Welcome to awsomeness!!I agree with all of the above. As a noob I started out with just a 30gal. Have been successful enough with it that I havent quit out of frustration( going on 1 year and 8months)! Affordable is one key to success along with patience and support from the people in this community! Good luck and keep us posted!
When you hear hoofbeats....Think of a zebra
wick246 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wick246 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2011 at 10:27pm
Thanks so much everyone. I like the idea of starting now with a smaller tank but there are some other things going on in our life. We are a little older but expecting our first child next month so I'm guessing things will be pretty crazy for awhile. Big smile A friend has offered us his old fresh water tank which he guessed was a little bigger than the most popular sized fresh tanks so I'm guessing 20 - 40 gallons. What else would we need if we started a small tank?
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2011 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by wick246 wick246 wrote:

Thanks so much everyone. I like the idea of starting now with a smaller tank but there are some other things going on in our life. We are a little older but expecting our first child next month so I'm guessing things will be pretty crazy for awhile. Big smile A friend has offered us his old fresh water tank which he guessed was a little bigger than the most popular sized fresh tanks so I'm guessing 20 - 40 gallons. What else would we need if we started a small tank?

That really depends on how big (or small) it ends up being, and what you will want to keep in it. What corals/animals are you looking to keep? That will largely determine what you will need. You will need test kits for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, alkalinity, calcium and magnesium to start. You'll also need salt mix, a source for RODI water for your top-off, and calcium and alkalinity solutions. Powerheads to create flow in the tank. Lighting suitable for the types of corals you want to keep (Power Compacts for low light only corals, or T5's or Metal Halides for everything else). Depending on the size and desired bioload you may also need to consider a sump with refugium and protein skimmer and return pump (which would require us to drill your tank).
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 6:49am
There are a lot of people here willing to help you out on a lot of things, I would suggest coming to a meeting to hear and to see everything! Our next one is Oct 6th. You can get stuff on the forum here pretty cheap and in good condition, there is a classifieds section. I'd also get to know some people in your live fish store (LFS). I believe the closet one to Taylorsville is Reef On 700w and 7300s. You'll really wanna google it for more accurate directions as I gave you the general area.    
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
wick246 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wick246 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 9:51am
I think t5 lighting would be best to start. I like almost every fish and coral I have seen if they are healthy. Not sure what types of coral and fish would be happy in a small tank. I went to Fish 4U Saturday to dream a little and was amazed at the variety and color of the fish and coral. I didn't talk to anyone but it was fun to watch others ask questions. Attending a meeting sounds great - do you need to be a member?
bbauman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbauman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 2:45pm
Welcome, you're going to love it here!
28g Cube

Beginners Guide to Saltwater Aquariums

Brandon in West Jordan
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by wick246 wick246 wrote:

I think t5 lighting would be best to start. I like almost every fish and coral I have seen if they are healthy. Not sure what types of coral and fish would be happy in a small tank. I went to Fish 4U Saturday to dream a little and was amazed at the variety and color of the fish and coral. I didn't talk to anyone but it was fun to watch others ask questions. Attending a meeting sounds great - do you need to be a member?

T5 lighting is excellent and can sustain all types of corals if done correctly. You don't need to be a member to attend a meeting, they are free to the public (unless otherwise noted) but being a member of WMAS does have some great advantages. You get 50% off frags at our Frag Fest events, discounts at some of the local stores, and more!

I would also recommend you attend the upcoming Mountain West Reef Fest. It's a great opportunity to hear from the leaders in the industry and see the newest stuff coming to the hobby. In fact Tony Vargas author of The Coral Reef Aquarium will be there to give his presentation on how to setup and maintain a successful reef aquarium. Scott Fellman will also be on hand to deliver a seminar on aquascaping. There will be tons of great stuff to learn and see. Check out www.mountainwestreeffest.com  for more info!
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
wick246 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wick246 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2011 at 2:53pm
Thank you Adam, Mark, Steve, xlr8r, hydro p. and Brandon.

I have seen ads for cheaper power heads in the $40 range - are these o.k. to start out with? How many will I need for a 30 - 40 gallon tank and what output should I look for?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2011 at 3:53pm
Congrats on the upcoming baby.Clap

Two good powerheads will turn the water in a 30 gallon tank. I have used one Maxijet 1200 powerhead in a 30 gal. (Pic below)

Everyone is welcome at the WMAS meetings held at the Rose Garden Clubhouse at Sugarhouse Park at 7PM the first Thursday of every month. The next meeting features an old friend, Mike Savage (see pic below).

In my experience with new hobbyists, and I've helped 100's, the test kits that CapnMorgan listed are not necessary. The four most important things to know are Salinity, Temperature, Alkalinity and Calcium. Just follow the setup method described in the Affordable Reef Aquarium thread and do 10% monthly water changes. That will save you some moolah, because Alk and Ca are going to be within range for the first 3-6 months in a new tank anyway.
- Later, other hobbyists or the LFS can test Alk and Ca.
- There's no need for a heater if the tank is in a temperature controlled room. Reef aquariums do wonderful at room temperature.
- Salinity is easy. 1/2 cup of salt mix per gallon places it just right and as water evaporates, just top off with purified water (RO water from grocery store water units is just $0.30/gallon). Salt does not evaporate.
- Grow macroalgae and Soft Corals first. These things keep the water very clean so testing the Nitrogen compounds (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate) is unnecessary.
- Then after a week add a fish or two and many snails. Blue Chromis, Blue Damsels, Bicolor Blenny, Clownfish, all are good starting fish.
It's that easy. Big smile

EmbarrassedAnd my number is below if you need someone to talk to about your new addiction. Wink

Edited by Mark Peterson - September 23 2011 at 4:03pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
wick246 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wick246 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2011 at 9:14am
My friend says the tank he will give me is approx. 24" long, 12" deep and 21" high so it looks like 25 gallons. A little smaller than I hoped but will be a good starting place. I think it comes with a light but no idea what it is - whatever came with it for fresh water use. Now I need to gather sand, some kind of rock, a pump, salt mix and a light for the next step. Is a maxi 1200 too big for 25 gallons? 
MIK3B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIK3B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2011 at 1:35pm
Welcome to your new addiction! I don't think a MJ1200 is too big, you can always deflect the current and point it away from corals if needed.

The Maxi Jet 1200 is my favorite PH, versatile, nearly bulletproof and you can move it to your new tank when you upgrade
wick246 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wick246 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2011 at 10:40am
Thanks MIK3B!

What about sumps and refuges for a 25 gallon tank? With no sump how would there be enough filtration for the tank?
MIK3B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIK3B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2011 at 11:03am
I've run several tanks with and without sumps/fuges over the years but IME the ones with are seem to have better water quality and are also more convenient/clean looking since you can hide your heater, skimmer, macro etc and add supplements to the sump so they'll mix before getting back up to the display tank.

The hobby(obsession) has come a long way since I started...it used to be bigger was better. I've seen some amazing nano and small tanks recently though so it's surely possible to run sumpless but I personally prefer a slightly larger system with a sump and fuge.

Pretty much everything except livestock in my current setup was purchased used, from here. There's always good deals and people willing to help, frag and spread knowledge!

wick246 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wick246 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2011 at 9:07am
Thanks MIK3B,

So I found this tank with stand on KSL for $60:

It's a little rougher than I had hoped but hopefully a good place to start for the price. It has an overflow in the back and plumbing for a sump in the cabinet (no sump or pump yet). It has a light fixture in the hood but it's a fresh water setup with longish skinny bulbs with normal light bulb screw in bases. Supposed to be 30 - 35 gallons but I'll have to measure to make sure. Will need some scratches and hazing removed from the acrylic and possibly some re-sealing of the joints. Is this a good starting point? Did I screw up?
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2011 at 10:20am

$60?

Looks like a pretty good deal to me! Thumbs Up
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2011 at 10:21am

$60?

Looks like a pretty good deal to me! Thumbs Up

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic