Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tank move

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tank move
    Posted: September 19 2011 at 10:17pm
I have a friend that just got a killer deal on a complete  220 gal. setup, minus a couple things.
I looked at it today.  It has plenty of hair algae, some bubble coral, and some of the rock looks like it has remnants of dead or dying mushrooms.  I has a lot of frog spawn, hammer coral, candy cane, 3 fish, 1 coral banded shrimp, that is all the livestock I believe.  The guy just lost interest and has neglected it.  

I am looking for some help from some experienced people that have some supplies and time to help us move it.  It will be from Clinton to Hooper (about 12 miles).  I have some containers to hold some of the livestock, but I don't think I will be able to contain everything.

A good date to make the move still needs to be established, based on people helping and schedules.  The guy wants it gone ASAP.

Any and help would be appreciated.  Please pm me if you are interested.  A phone call would even be helpful.  801-540-0729

For now some quick tips to think about, items to gather, ect. would be helpful.

Will I want to brush the algae off of the rocks?
Will I remove the sand from the tank?  I guess I may have to due to weight.
Will we be using/moving his water or just what we need to keep things wet?

thanks 

Rick
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2011 at 11:00pm
sent you a pm
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2011 at 11:14pm
I can carry buckets and lighter stuff, help with pulling off excess hair algae before going back in the tank, just no heavy lifting. You have my number, so just give me a shout and let me know how I can help.
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 7:28am
I have a few five gallon jugs and buckets you can barrow
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 9:20am
Hey Rick I can probably come help for a little while. I've moved a bunch of full systems this big with Sitaga.

Make sure you have a zillion buckets. Buckets are a lot easier to move everything in instead of rumbermades.

Yes, we will want to take out the sand out. A strong dust pan is best for that. Also a shop vac if you have one.

Do you have the plumbing supplies ready to set the tank back up once you break it down?
Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise
phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 2:53pm
I just confirmed that aptaisia is also a problem in this tank.  I was quite sure of it when looking at it, but I had to confirm before mentioning that.  Will they even want to take a chance with the rocks that have aptasia?  It appeared to be in one general area, but I know what a problem it can be, so just want to be cautious.  This is way over my head, so again looking for some good strong advice.  The owner wants it gone now.
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 6:47pm
Aptasia can be handled but it takes time and a lot of work. Personally I would almost consider keeping the corals and swapping out all non-essential rock. But that's just me. IMO it's hard enough to keep a tank pristine when you're starting out, and it's a whole other endeavor to try and fix a tank with lots of problems right out of the gate.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 4:40pm
My friend decided to hire some help.  Thanks to those who responded.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic