Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vitamin C dosing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2011 at 4:37pm
Update: Ive been dosing vit C for a week now and I have a colony, and half of the polpys have been closed up for a few weeks and were shrinking and I noticed last night that they started opening back up... Cant wait to see what happens in a few more weeks.

Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2011 at 4:46pm
Thats great! I have been dosing and have not noticed any considerable changes except things are starting to color up better. I will take some new pics soon and maybe there is more than I see. One plus is my skimmer seems to be working awesome. It is pulling the same amount out of my tank but it is a lot darker and gunkier than usual so seems like it is pulling a lot more crap out than normal. Have not noticed any ill effects of dosing so I am continuing it.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2011 at 5:42pm
well honestly Nick when I was there I thought your zoas were looking good! If this Vit C really does end up helping I'd love to make another trip out to your house with some $ to buy some frags :) fingers crossed!

Noticed that my skimmer has been pulling out some darker gunk too, I dont have any buffered vit c and before I started dosing, my ph and alk were low so I started buffering to raise those up, im sure that is helping too.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2011 at 5:48pm
Thank you. Im sure it is helping adding buffer. Do you make your own buffer or pay for it? Just started using homeade and it works great for a fraction of the cost. Your welcome anytime let me know when you want to stop by.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2011 at 5:51pm
I bought some last year that I didnt end up using for very long, so I've been bustin that out. Once Its out ill for sure want to look into some home made. Where did you find out how to make the home made?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2011 at 5:55pm
I think it was from melevs. Super easy. Bake 2 1/2 cups baking soda on a cookie sheet at 300 or more for an hour and mix it in a gallon of water and your done.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

ehender634 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehender634 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2011 at 7:38am
Snowsrfr, do you have an update on how the Vit C is working for you? I ordered some also, but would love to know if it is really working or not. If so what is your dosing schedule? 
180 gal mixed reef
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2011 at 3:17pm
I started dosing about the same time as Bret, and my polyps are more open than they ever have been. I try to dose 1/4 tsp during the day and the same after lights out. My tank is 60 g
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2011 at 3:52pm
Ive stopped doing this week. I lost a fish (dont think its related to the vit c) but although I'm seeing some improvements in one of my colonies, some off my other corals are looking upset. I was dosing without running carbon. Next week I'll probably start dosing at a lower level and keep the carbon in...

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2011 at 9:14pm
Hmm my carbon could use changing and my corals all look happy.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2011 at 9:43pm
I started dosing in my Biocube polyp garden at 1/8tsp, and started getting good results, but then got greedy and bumped it up to 1/4tsp. Noticed an overall decrease in color and happiness of my polys, so I dropped back down to 1/4tsp and I'm getting some great color increase, and some of my frags are starting to take off with baby polyps popping up.
"A fish tank is not a pet. It's a TV that you gotta feed." - John Caparulo
fishnfresh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishnfresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2011 at 11:57pm
I did this in my redsea max and wasnt using a skimmer and ended up with a mess. I know bret also aint running a skimmer but I was doin 1/4 tsp. Im tryin to get tank back in order then will start again when I get a skimmer and also only 1/8 tsp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2011 at 3:43pm
I will try posting pics soon. I have been dosing a full teaspoon a day in my 65. Seems like I am getting pretty good growth but I definitely am noticing better colors. I dose when I feed my tank. Still going well for me. But from what everyone is dosing I may cut back on how much I am using.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehender634 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2011 at 7:50am
So I just wanted to give an update on my tank. I was dosing 2 tsp 2X/day in my 200 gal system for 2 weeks. I really didn't notice any changes in my zoas and all my sps started to die in spots. 
180 gal mixed reef
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2011 at 11:06am
Originally posted by ehender634 ehender634 wrote:

So I just wanted to give an update on my tank. I was dosing 2 tsp 2X/day in my 200 gal system for 2 weeks. I really didn't notice any changes in my zoas and all my sps started to die in spots. 

You started dosing that much from day one?
Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2011 at 4:47pm
When I dosed my zoas were looking amazing but my sps started to die as well.
Jackie Stuver

BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2011 at 5:36pm
Weird... I've been dosing for a few months and my sps is looking better than ever
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2011 at 5:52pm
Hmm maybe I should try again. The only one I had a problem with was the hydnophora colony and it may have been just from moving from another tank.
Jackie Stuver

Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2011 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by ehender634 ehender634 wrote:

Snowsrfr, do you have an update on how the Vit C is working for you? I ordered some also, but would love to know if it is really working or not. If so what is your dosing schedule? 

Life has reared it's ugly head, and I have been content with just maintaining my tanks and keeping things alive.

This weekend I installed my Aquaticlife skimmer in my cube, cuz I forgot the part where it's recommended to run a skimmer when dosing VC. I believe it was Friday or Saturday that I got the skimmer installed and VC dosing started again. I'm dosing 1/8tsp, twice daily on my 29 Biocube. I'll take some before pics, hopefully tonight, but have already seen a dramatic color explosion in my Poinsettia polyp.

Edit: I just got done looking over all my different polyps in my "frag" tank. Since Saturday this is the new things that have happened since a steady VC dosing regimen.

Pumpkin Nightmares have a new baby polyp

JF Crazy Ladies have a bulge in the mat where a baby is about to come out.

Poinsettia is getting it's bright red color (as stated above)

Magician paly - 1 of 3 heads have opened up. All 3 have been closed for over a week.

I'm trying to get before pics, what I've noticed since Saturday, etc. but my snails and crabs have ESP when it comes to me wanting to take pics and have crawled over 90% of my polyps.

Edited by Snowsrfr - November 14 2011 at 6:30pm
"A fish tank is not a pet. It's a TV that you gotta feed." - John Caparulo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehender634 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2011 at 7:41am
I started my dosing at 1/2 tsp 2X/day and doubled it every 4 days util I got to 2 tsp 2X/day
180 gal mixed reef
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic