Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feeding Schedule?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feeding Schedule?
    Posted: September 25 2011 at 9:55pm
Just curious as to what other peoples feeding schedule/technique looks like....
Everyday after work i take a 1 liter bottle, fill half way with water from my main tank, add 1/2 cube mysis, 1/2 cube bloodworm, 1/2 cube brine, and some filter feeder food, add a few drops of selcon. I feed 1/2 of the bottle as soon as everything is thawed and the rest an hour before the lights go out. I do this everyday but am thinking about letting them "fast" one day(as i do on my seahorse tank). I hear that going a day without feeding is good for their digestive system and of course perfectly fine for the fish (been just fine for the seahorses, in fact the day after they fast they get a live shrimp as a reward). So i guess what im asking is how often or how little do you all feed your fishes?
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2011 at 10:45pm
I feed about every 3 days. I cube of mysis, spirulina enriched brine, or Aquatic Dreams new Yum Yum "pellet" food (mixture of all kinds of good stuff in it).

Coral wise, I spot feed my LPS a mix of Reef Chili, Yum YDm, and BSD golden pearls. SPS then get BSD golden pearls (smaller micron).
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2011 at 12:05pm
every other day for my fish and corals except my gorgonian, he eats twice a day
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2011 at 11:17am
I feed at least 2* a day with whole frozen Mythis shrimp, Rods food or cubes of smaller frozen myths shrimp. I rotate between all of them and give them what they can eat in about 2 minutes. I also add a clip of Nori each day for my Naso and Blue tang:)  
In my sps tank(as they are not transferred to my new tank) I feed with Rods food once a day for my clowns and corals. I love Rods food because its small enough for the corals and have big pieces for the fish.
Call or Text (801)834-3119
bik3rinblack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bik3rinblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2011 at 2:16pm
i feed my corals once a week with fuel, and i also drop in about a spoon full of mysis on my 65,
on my lion and puffer tank, they get krill every third day unless i have someone over and they have never seen the vacum effect of the lion then he gets more but most of the time it is just every 3 days.
on my sting rays and my tangs, i will hand feed my rays, they each get 5 pices of krill every 3 days and my tangs get a full sheet of nori every 3 days.

all the food is soaked on garlic before it even gets to my tanks.

how i make it easier on my wife and friends that seed my tanks is this!

what i do is take all my frozen food, but it in a blender(get one from the di, that way the wife does not kill you) blend it all up to a mush and then i feed with that. it has flakes, frozen, pellet and nori all in it and then i mix it with garlic. the reason i do this is so that when ever i go out of town or my wife wants to feed, i know i can tell her to take a tea spoon of this and put it in the tank and i know it will not be over feed. just works out for me better that way!

Edited by bik3rinblack - September 28 2011 at 2:19pm
Matt Snow
[email protected]
1-801-413-7844
125 fresh aggressive
90 salt fish only
20 aggressive fresh
30 red ear slider

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2011 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by 1stupidpunk 1stupidpunk wrote:

- Just curious as to what other peoples feeding schedule/technique looks like....
- thinking about letting them "fast" one day(as i do on my seahorse tank). I hear that going a day without feeding is good...
- So i guess what im asking is how often or how little do you all feed your fishes?
Have you ever fasted a day? Doesn't it make you feel more refreshed and healthier? It works the same for all organisms.
How we feed, what we feed and how often we feed has everything to do with what organisms we have in our tanks. If we don't know what is eating, then knowing a feeding schedule has little value.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2011 at 7:19pm
I feed my fish like 2-3 times a week. I only have 3 fish, but even when I had 5-8 fish I only fed 3 times a week.

Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2011 at 9:55pm
Not to get off topic, but what LFS' carry Rod's Food? Which do you feed? Fish, coral, herbivore, origial, or a mix of them?
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2011 at 12:36pm
I use Rods Herbivore for my tangs and Rods regular for other fish and coral. I ordered mine through Arthur. I got a pack from Fish 4 U once.
Call or Text (801)834-3119
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic