Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RSM went up in flames!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
lil' man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lil' man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RSM went up in flames!!!
    Posted: September 26 2011 at 11:48am
I have a red sea max 130d and today it had flames two feet tall coming out the back of it. Im in the process of figuring out what exactly caused the fire I just wanted to warn fellow owners of the danger. Thank god I was in the room when it happened or my whole house could have been burnt down. Ill post some pics of the damage later.

Edited by lil' man - September 26 2011 at 11:56am
Turbostud653 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2011 at 12:10pm
Wow scary! hope everything is ok!
Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.
MIK3B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIK3B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2011 at 12:16pm
That is scary! Yes, good thing you were home! We worry so much about our tanks and the inhabitants, but man, all the saltwater and electricity can be dangerous to our homes and families too.

Scary thing about most people's systems is that they are all pieced together. A huge selling point (and convenience) of a RSM is that they are complete and self-contained. I think they are awesome and have seen many amazing ones. I've always wanted one too. Now I am second guessing that.

Was yours modified? Keep us posted if you determine what the cause was.

lil' man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lil' man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2011 at 12:19pm
Well my hood is just about done for and I have some black marks on the ceiling other than that everything is fine, including all my livestock. I bought mine used and have no idea if there is any warranty. Has anyone bought a red sea new and know what kind of warranty they come with, if any?
lil' man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lil' man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2011 at 12:26pm
No modifications have been done. It is completely stock. I cannot tell what the exact cause was although It was either the heater or the return pump. The hood is melted on, so I cannot really get in the back to well.
Does any one have an all in one tank for sale? I would prefer one with a halide or LEDs, let me know.
Thanks
MIK3B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIK3B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2011 at 2:04pm
Crazy, just crazy... Glad to hear all of your livestock and most everything else is OK.

I did see a RSM or 2 for sale in the classifieds section recently. Maybe post up an LF: RSM or other all in one system if you haven't already.

Good luck man!
russianrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russianrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2011 at 3:13pm
WOW! I'm sure that I have never worried about a fire from my aquarium, but now I think I will.  I had the powerhead on a small hang on filter get really hot when it jammed and I guess it could have caught fire since it was not submerged, but I would not suspect any of my electronics, other than my lights, to catch fire, because they are all under water.  
In Soviet Russia, Fish collect YOU!
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2011 at 3:13pm
Regardless of warranty or purchase date, I would email them with a huge complaint talking about liability etc.  Provide pictures of the damage too.  Then tell them you want a complimentary rsm500 or you will get a lawyer involved. :)
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2011 at 3:28pm
I would give Red Sea a call! They are usually really helpful and nice to deal with!
Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
ch3tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ch3tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2011 at 3:43pm
I just got a RSM 250, i'll check when i get home to see what the warranty says. I'm sure they would compensate you either way though, they are very nice and helpful to deal with. Sorry to hear about this.
Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2011 at 6:41pm
I am so sorry to hear about this, how scary! I am glad everything is ok!
 Pam

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

jmtreml View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmtreml Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2011 at 7:32pm
Wow.. that is scary.  I am glad that all of your livestock lived, and even more importantly your house is ok.  Sorry to hear about it.  Keep us posted if there is anything we can do for you.
Jake
34 Gallon Red Sea Max

29 gallon Bio cube
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2011 at 10:31am
Snowrfr has one for sale i think. Can you check your lighting? The heater and pump are in the water i dont know if that would have caused the fire, but a extremely hot ballast would have.
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2011 at 2:51pm
Wow really scary. Did water happen to maybe get into the main electrical box on the side? Or as said above I would guess lighting.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2011 at 10:44pm
that is probably the worst nightmare for aquarist, right besides being electrocuted with your aquarium. Did you find another place to find your livestock?
boysty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boysty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2011 at 10:14am
I had the 34g 2 years ago that I got used and it had problems with the lights. When I called rsm they were really easy to work with
Time waits on no one
lil' man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lil' man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2011 at 11:42am
Well I found out it was one of the return pumps. Some how it blew up, there is a hole in the top of the pump where something was spewing out of. It smells like when a battery blows up. Either way it was shooting sparks out the top and some how caught the hood on fire. All of my corals made it out accept for the sps. All the sps bleached out and all the fish have past away. I moved everything out immediately into another tank so im not sure what exactly killed it all. Either whatever came spewing out of the pump or maybe it all got electrocuted?  Im in contact with red sea and they seem to be very helpful. They want to send replacement parts but Im pretty sure Im just screwed on all the livestock and house damage. Ill try to get some pics up later today when im off work.
russianrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russianrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2011 at 11:49am
If it smells like a blown battery, then it probably leached some type of acid into the tank from the electrical components, not to mention potential pollutants from burning plastic.
In Soviet Russia, Fish collect YOU!
boysty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boysty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2011 at 2:19pm
I have a frag of green polyp sps I will donate when the tank is ready again
Time waits on no one
bik3rinblack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bik3rinblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2011 at 2:55pm
i would love to see the pictures or this so i know what to look for!
Matt Snow
[email protected]
1-801-413-7844
125 fresh aggressive
90 salt fish only
20 aggressive fresh
30 red ear slider

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic