Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mushroom removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mushroom removal
    Posted: September 29 2011 at 3:15pm
I acquired some live rock with several mushroom growing on them that I don't want. The rock will be going in my new tank and I don't want them growing i there at all. 

Anyone know how to remove them or kill them? 
fishnfresh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishnfresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2011 at 3:21pm
Kalk works in some shrooms
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2011 at 3:29pm
use a razor blade and cut them off at the base and give them to someone. What color are they?

BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2011 at 3:48pm
They're the common green ones. Not terribly ugly I just dont want something growing that I can't reach or control in the future. I'll try razoring them off cause I dont have kalk. Thanks!
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2011 at 4:03pm
I bet there are some peeps that wouldnt mind taking them off of your hands.

Good luck!

jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2011 at 4:59pm
Even if you razor them off and there is a tiny bit of flesh left it WILL grow back. If it's the only thing on the rock I personally would just kill the rock. I've tried razoring them, I've tried Kalk, I've tried everything. The only thing to get rid of them is to never even let them into your tank. I rarely resort to to this drastic of a step but when it comes to mushrooms and star ployps it seems to be the only cure.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
fishnfresh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishnfresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2011 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by jwoo jwoo wrote:

Even if you razor them off and there is a tiny bit of flesh left it WILL grow back. If it's the only thing on the rock I personally would just kill the rock. I've tried razoring them, I've tried Kalk, I've tried everything. The only thing to get rid of them is to never even let them into your tank. I rarely resort to to this drastic of a step but when it comes to mushrooms and star ployps it seems to be the only cure.

agree with razors they will grow back.

I have used kalk and vinger and it worked but by no means is it 100% effective.
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2011 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by jwoo jwoo wrote:

That's what I was afraid of. If I can't chip off the section with the shrooms I'll kill the rock. Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic