Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

zooanthid eating nudibranch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
m.ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m.ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: zooanthid eating nudibranch
    Posted: October 05 2011 at 11:11pm
So, I'm awfully depressed,

Turns out the last zooanthids I bought introduced zooanthid eating nudi's into my reef, I'm not sure how they got passed me, It was a small colony, and I visually inspected it well before placing them in my reef.  A few weeks later, I've pulled 4 of the buggers off of other colonies in my tank.

I'm going to pull all my zoas out and freshwater dip them, but some of my colonies have well over 100-200 polyps, i'm not sure what to do with them.

I'll probably order some flatworm remover, but that will take a few days to get here.

Any other suggestions are openly welcome, inlcuding easier ways to eradicate them from the entire system.  Does anyone know of a natural predator that I could intoduce to the tank?
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2011 at 11:13pm
Yellow coris wrasse all the way from what I hear

Edited by BillyC - October 05 2011 at 11:13pm
m.ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m.ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2011 at 11:18pm
I've considered a yellow coris, they are very cool.  but I'm conserned about my feather dusters.  They've been known to eat them, however I've never owned one, so I don't know for sure.  I guess the benefit of ridding myself of the nudi's far outways a few feathers.  Plus I can always move the wrasse to another tank in the future.
m.ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m.ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2011 at 9:23pm
Thanks all for the advice and input, even though all the posts were lost.
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2011 at 10:15pm
Zoa nudi eggs are really hard to spot, even if you look them over really good. Even some dips won't kill the eggs.

Just a heads up, if you see a zoa nudibranch, don't take out your agression and smash it with you fingers. I've read some scary stories of people getting violently ill from doing just that.
a.ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a.ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2011 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by m.ash m.ash wrote:

So, I'm awfully depressed,

Turns out the last zooanthids I bought introduced zooanthid eating nudi's into my reef, I'm not sure how they got passed me, It was a small colony, and I visually inspected it well before placing them in my reef.  A few weeks later, I've pulled 4 of the buggers off of other colonies in my tank.

I'm going to pull all my zoas out and freshwater dip them, but some of my colonies have well over 100-200 polyps, i'm not sure what to do with them.

I'll probably order some flatworm remover, but that will take a few days to get here.

Any other suggestions are openly welcome, inlcuding easier ways to eradicate them from the entire system.  Does anyone know of a natural predator that I could intoduce to the tank?

Cry Bummer dude Cry

Uncle A
Brandon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2011 at 10:57pm
Yellow coris wrasse for sure or a Richmonds wrasse but they are a little harder to find.  The yellow coris' seem to have a totally different temperament than the greens and reds and do an excellent job of hunting all day long.  If you are going to continue getting zoas go with the wrasse for sure. 

Also I wouldn't recommend doing a freshwater dip on all your zoas but rather if you are going to do a dip do something like Revive or CoralRx.
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2011 at 12:12am
Brandon, do you find the Revive to be a better dip for zoas rather than CoralRx. I've heard that from a few sources on different sights.
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2011 at 8:37am
Get a mini army of wrasses. Feather dusters are $20 bucks, zoas are a lot more expensive then that. So which would you rather lose?   You also say you have a bunch of tanks, put the feather dusters in another tank and get the wrasses.

Do a freshwater dip, then a coral revive dip on the zoas that are looking bad. If you the zoas are on big rocks then wrasses are you only option.
Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise
Brandon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2011 at 9:58am
I have used both and they seem to be the same or very similar.  I will use either and have had great results with both.  I met with the brains behind CoralRx and he really did his homework to come out with that product.  I think it comes down to price since they are so similar.
Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2011 at 1:37pm
Fish 4 u has a yellow coris wrasse in right now. They had 2 but I bought the other one.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

m.ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m.ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2011 at 11:12pm
I've got a Yellow Coris Wrasse on the way, and some revive on the way. 

Laird:  I considered moving the dusters, but their on a big rock, at the base of the reef, have been there almost 5 years, they aren't going anywhere.  I'm willing to lose them to a wrasse if needed though.

Luckily, it's only my main reef that has the issue, any zoas in my frag tank, or other tanks will be maintained free of any pests.

Thanks all! 

Edited by m.ash - October 08 2011 at 11:13pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic