Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hammer coral tips?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hammer coral tips?
    Posted: May 13 2003 at 9:44pm
 I just got a frag of hammer coral. I would like any tips people have to offer for this coral ie current, lighting, additives.  Thanks for any help
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2003 at 2:39pm
I have some branching hammer at my house.  I give mine good water but not direct from the pump.  If it gets too much water flow it will not open all the way.  They will eat large food like brine and krill depending on how big your colony is.  If part of it starts to die, make sure to clean it up so it doesn't spread.  Eric Borneman says in his "Aquarium Corals" book that they are unusually sensitive to large specimens of soft coral, specifically Sinularia.    Julian Sprung in his book says thay are 3-8 on lighting, 5 on water flow, 10 on aggressiveness and 6 on hardiness.  I have found that they will sting other corals pretty bad.  I have a Percula that played in my frogspawn for a while then developed a sore on its side.  I have 470 watts on my 120 gallon tank so I would give it good lighting.  Frogspawn, hammer, torch and other LPS come from the genus Euphyllia and will react about the same.  Good luck!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2003 at 3:03pm
Thanks Marcus. I can actually target feed the hammer coral? Thats cool. I have kept other corals at a safe distance I may have a bit to much flow.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2003 at 10:01pm
 Oh I forgot to ask. Is it best to feed at night?

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2003 at 3:16pm
Every coral is different.  I would try both and see what works best.  I try to feed my fish first so that the coral "gets hungry" and is ready to eat.  Then it feed my corals.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2003 at 4:32pm
 I lowered the current on the hammer a little bit and it is looking great. They do use calcium dont they? I am struggling to keep close to 400ppm

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2003 at 6:32pm

Yes, hammer coral uses calcium to make its skeleton.  I use b-ionic.  When you dose a lot of calcium keep an eye on your PH.  I used to use pickling lime as a cheap substitute for kalkwasser but ended up with a ph of about 8.7.  I learned my lesson about paying for the good stuff.

Marcus

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2003 at 10:18pm

Bruce, what are you using to increase calcium levels?

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2003 at 10:25pm

Marcus, it's not the calcium that caused the pH spike, it was the alkalinity increase.

FWIW, I've use Kent, Ball, one other grocery store pickling lime - name excapes me, and reagent grade CaO (thanks Eastman Chemical :) )... never noticed a difference in any of the products.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2003 at 10:34pm
 To increase calcium levels I am using Kent Marine Liqiud Calcium. This is only a 10 gallon tank.

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2003 at 11:12pm
You need to add a full 5 ml of that stuff (in a 10 gallon tank) to raise calcium just 10 ppm (ie. from 380 to 390 ppm).  Are you adding it in that type of volume?  You're most likely fine "around 400 ppm" anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic