Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rufessor's 57 Gallon Oceanic Rimless build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2012 at 1:06pm
That's all just coral growth in he last 10 months?! Congrats!
90G Mixed Reef
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2012 at 1:13pm
Cant wait to see the growth in another year, crazy how well its growing in. How are you liking the bubble magnus?
AquaMedic 250 Watt XM 20k
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2012 at 1:11am
I only have 1 or 2 comments. What a fantastic build !!!! And plug and play lights dont have s@@@ on you!!! Sorry for the @@@
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2012 at 2:11am
Growing in nicely!
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2012 at 5:04pm
Thanks everyone-

I have a funny story... I wrote the code for the lighting and was constantly updating it etc etc and had left the Arduino processor board with the PMW output sitting behind the tank with the USB cable wired onto the processor so I could just plug in my computer and load up the newest version without having to take the plastic housing apart every time I needed to get at the board to load something new.  

Anyhow, I got it finished and had it running for some months but neglected to ever replace the plastic cover on the computer board... well... 

I got a red tooth trigger... and then the program started acting increasingly odd and I figured I had a bug so went through the code, even posted on line that there may be an issue as others are using it... and finally one day my processor stopped comm with my computer... 

I looked back there to figure out what the HECK was up.. and it turns out my red tooth trigger likes to play in the power head ouput on the back left of the tank and was spraying salt water (little bits at a time) onto the processor and shorted out a few pins!! 

Anyhow, I finally ordered a new one and it should be here today.  DAMN FISH!

That's it- any one want a red tooth!!!!!

Just kidding.... he is staying for now (my other fish have some ragged fins so may not be long for the tank).

Anyhow, I looked... move in to the tank was Nov 28 2011 so growth pics are almost exactly 1 year.  I have to say, looking back to the first shot I posted, I almost don't believe the growth, seriously... but its real and if I added anything it would have been 1 inch frags that have been there even less time... however its been many months since I added coral.

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler -A.E.
57 Gallon RImless build in progress check the thread before if becomes boring and just full of nice pictures of colorful coral!
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2012 at 12:30pm
Seeing the before pictures as everything as frags, and checking your tank out in person. Damn thats some crazy growth!!
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2012 at 1:55pm
Thanks-  Good luck with your LED actinic supplementation build!  PM me with any Q's I didnt think to answer in your post.  Its SO WORTH GOING LED! 

I have been playing with the Light program a tiny bit... noticed that as the day lenght shortens I was seeing some of the Zoas start to "reach" for the light.  They get extended necks and try to find light, and one monti was going a tiny bit brown (hardly brown but just note that coloration was changing) at the same time some of the real high Acros, like Tyree Pink Lemonade and Red Planet were actually coloring up and looking SWEET.... so I figured that I was probably partially bleaching things during the summer with the long days and under lighting now with the short days. 

So-  I re-did part of the program and now it enforces a minimum day length to 12.5 hours, if the rise and set of the sun are closer together than that the program adds back time to bring the day length to 12.5 hours, but I do it assymetrically such that more time is added to the sunset than is subtracted from sunrise since I view the tank more at night after work...  This is now running and I expect colors to get even better now as the real low off to the very edge of the tanks (this is where I see reaching) should gain just enough light to remain happy- while the center should not be bleaching.

To correct the summer intensity- since I really like having the tank match the sun, I decided to calculate the % length of the day over 12.5 hours, which is 45,000 seconds, so if I have a day that is 49,500 seconds long, e.g. 4,500 seconds greater than 45,000 the tank MAX intensity is downgraded by exactly that % in intensity output, so this way- since I am using PWM dimming and the dimming is obtained by flashing the lights at a pre set max current (each string is different to match the LED type) by reducing the flash on time from 100% to 90% I should deliver pretty much exactly 10% less PAR...

So- now during the summer and winter every single day should yield damn close to the same PAR over the tank but with very different light on intervals.  No way to know if this is going to work other than simply let it go and watch the tank as the seasons change.  

Should be an interesting experiment, I am not aware of anyone anywhere doing this...

I kinda sorta started this thinking I wanted to simulate the yearly PAR variation on a reef but in actuality asside from cloud cover equitorial reefs probably see little seasonal variation as the sun angle is minimally altered there... I was curious if I would ever in a million years see a spawn event by matching seasonal light variation... I kinda doubt  I actually have even close to the PAR of an equitorial reef.... but my tank is only 24 inches deep and some corals are literally growing out of the water and those were bleaching so I feel like I had to do something to fix this in the summer... so for now I will see if this works.  I wonder what my PAR is at the water line?  Must be pretty damn high to bleach a Tyree pink lemonade and a Red Planet (not fully, but they go real faint pink in the summer, in the winter (like now) they are GORGEOUS!  So I want to see if I can hold this coloration or even improve it!!!  

LOVE THE ABILITY TO CHANGE THINGS and with PMW and 5 channels... its almost too much to tinker with even for a tinker like me!  :)

57 Gallon RImless build in progress check the thread before if becomes boring and just full of nice pictures of colorful coral!
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2012 at 2:45pm

I took a pic or two of the tank under its full daylight lighting the other day with my iPhone5 and I was surprised at how well they came out.... I admit the purple is a little blown out but its honestly not far from what it looks like.. 

Check out the hammer! 

and the Green Pocclipora

and this very cool acro under 475/450/405 nm LED only

Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2012 at 8:42pm
I'm letting you down on the led build, I decided to go with vhos just because the halide light would fry the leds. But thanks for all your help! As always great looking tank!
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
08TRDOFFROAD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08TRDOFFROAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2012 at 2:38pm
How far are you LED's off the water?
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2012 at 3:20pm
it varies a little bit because my hood is arced but around 15 inches or so. I can fit my head between the tank and the suspended canopy to look down into the tank, but it is not roomy under there!
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2012 at 10:32pm
Hows the color since you dropped your par a little? Has it improved?
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2012 at 11:11am
I actually modified the program to enforce a minimum day length since the sun rise and set are like 7-5 ish now days thats only 10 hours of light and I was noting that I was loosing some of the intense colors on a few corals (a few actually gained colors- those that were literally inches below the water were probably bleaching a bit during the summer) and that some of the Zoas way down low were getting long necks "reaching" for the light.... so my program now enforces 12.5 hours of light as the minimum period and after a week or so of running this my intense pink is back and the Zoas have shrunk down to their normal size so I believe its now dialed in pretty well.  Very curious if over the summer, as the program begins to compensate for longer day lengths (over 12.5 hours) by reducing the PWM dim set points throughout the day if I can avoid the bleaching while also maintaining intense coloration.  

Edited by rufessor - December 21 2012 at 11:45am
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2012 at 2:07pm
Your tank will soon have robotic arms, a force field, and reverse gravity. haha
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 1:18pm
Well...  I will be adding some more pics, its growing out yet more and I have moved a couple things and introduced a few new frags.  Happily, after over a year of my rose millepora basically doing nothing, moving it around to about 4 different spots, etc its finally now getting good polyp extension and coloring up!!  MAN what a PICKY coral!  

Anyhow, my code modifications to the lighting worked and coming out of the depth of winter all the corals kept great color and the light cycle is now back to matching sunrise and sunset since the day length has come up to the point where it meets my minimal light period requirements.  In a month or so I will be able to see if I need to mod things a little bit more to avoid the peak summer light period bleaching that was happening but things look great so far.  Colors are probably about as good as they ever have been in the tank.  I played yet more with the lighting program and decided that I really like the cloud effect but had been limiting it to about 20-30 % of the day.  No longer, I now have it set up so that the % of the day with light intensity variation can be as much as about 80% and further introduced a random component that shifts the color balance on the tank as the intensity changes during a cloud, its kinda cool.  Now the tank produces beautiful light intensity variation (its so smooth it looks like a cloud going over head) but coupled with that is a random variation between the two color channels (basically a white and a blue) so that sometimes the tank takes on a more stark blue dominant white while other times it shifts to a more warm white dominant color... its awesome!  

Pics soon! 
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 2:09pm
Looking forward to seeing that rose mille man! I'm surprised you've had such a hard time getting it to grow if it's the one that I'm thinking of. I know at least 2 other people who got a frag and they have colonies now lol.
BrentD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrentD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 7:02pm
Awesome stuff man, let me know if you ever cut frags;)
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 7:49pm
I like the tank/ light a lot. Very cool.
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
grassfairy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grassfairy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 8:03pm
How big was that hammer when you first got it?
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2013 at 9:23pm
I think a fts is needed to show the beauty of this tank!
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic