Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cleaning a rock...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cleaning a rock...
    Posted: October 19 2011 at 12:19pm
I have a rock about the size of a softball. It is constantly covered with a "fluffy" red algea. Even when I have algea under control in all other areas of the tank, this algea remains. I have tried to scrub it off with a toothbrush it just wont come all the way off. This rock also has a small colony of favia on it (5 polyps grown from 1 which in kinda proud of so far). Ive heard of dipping rock in a 50/50 hydrogen peroxide/water solution. This sounds risky to me and I dont want to loose the favia. Any other suggestions. The algea really detracts from the favia. Thanks.
When you hear hoofbeats....Think of a zebra
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 3:48pm
Is it Asperagopsis algae?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2011 at 10:38am
No, Mark, I dont think it is. I googled it and looks nothing like what I have. Mine looks more like fluffy cotten but red in color. Id put up a photo but my computer is down and this on Im using is at work. It looks just like the fluffy green algea I find in my tank occationally.
MIK3B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIK3B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2011 at 11:48am
I had a rock that seemed to always get algae all over it, I used to scrub the heck out of it with a stiff wire brush and it would always come back. It was tenacious!

Put a couple of tangs in the tank, they wouldn't touch it. Changed my lights, seemed to help a little.

Then I got all my water parameters back in line and added a DI filter to my RO system, did several date changes, added some phosguard and GFO to my reactors and I'm pleased to say that after 6 months it's still gone.

Good luck with your battle - I personally wouldn't dare use any chemicals (Hydrogen Peroxide seems harmless enough) because I wouldn't want to kill the life thats inside the rock, but that's me.

I think the best way to really get rid of nuisance algae is to starve it with nutrient export - a healthy ball of Chaeto or other macro algae and silicate/phosphate removal helps a bunch!
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2011 at 12:04pm
MIK3B, Thanks for the input. No tangs for this tank:(. I do have the cheato and I dont overfeed. Params ok. RO water used. . I have aglea come and go but this rock is continuous.

Mark, on second look it is the algea you suggested. Whats the story with it?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2011 at 7:43pm
Your description is exactly how I would describe it. Thumbs Up
You are doing well to have contained it to one spot in the tank.
Pacific Turbo Snails are usually hungry for Asperagopsis. These are not the Margarita but the larger Turbo Snails usually around 1-1.5" size. Not zebra turbos - too large. One is all you'll need.

Edited by Mark Peterson - October 20 2011 at 7:54pm
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2011 at 7:48am
ok... where does a person get a pacific turbo snail??
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2011 at 2:33pm
Almost any LFS can have them. Fish-4-U had some when I needed one a few months ago for the very same reason.
Merk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2011 at 7:11pm
What about removing that one rock, boiling it, and then placing it your set-up again?
Downtown Salt Lake City
801-809-2367
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2011 at 8:33pm
I've used hydrogen peroxide...and use it regularly to prevent algae in my tanks as part of my normal QT procedure.

I always dip the rock into the normal hydrogen peroxide solution you get at the drug store (not the really crazy strong stuff that will blind you instantly).  I also don't dilute it.  I let the rock sit for about 20+ seconds, depending on how mad I am.

Corals do so-so with it.  LPS seem to get a lot of bubbles trapped in them, and that makes me nervous.  They've always recovered for me, but I can't guarantee they'll be fine.  I hate putting SPS in hydrogen peroxide...it actually prevents some calcification, and I don't know how that affects SPS (but they don't like it anyway).  Zoas seem to handle hydrogen peroxide ok.

Just make sure you get rid of any pods/snails/etc on the rock.

Personally, I would make sure your tank is up to par as previously mentioned (running GFO & carbon, using RO/DI for regular water changes, and skimming heavily).  If that doesn't work, then I'd go to something more drastic.  But, the problem is (and as Mark mentioned) you're lucky to have contained it...but there are probably spores all in your water column.  Killing it off the rock will only temporarily limit your problem.  Also, snails will just remove the algae off the rock...not kill it.  They'll eat the algae, then they'll poo the spores back into the water.  Not fun.  Algae spores are amazingly resilient (depending on species). 

If all that doesn't work, make a diluted muriatic acid solution, and soak the rock.  The muriatic acid will etch the surface of the rock so that the roots of the algae are exposed/falling out.  Then, rinse insanely well.  Next, make a diluted bleach solution, and soak the rock.  The bleach will kill the algae spores.  Rinse really well again.  Make a solution with that aquarium chlorine remover stuff, and soak again.  Rinse again.  I guarantee that'll have your rock pure as...well...rock.  :-)

Edited by Reef'd Up - October 21 2011 at 8:35pm
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2011 at 10:20am
I'm a kind of live and let live kinda guy. I kinda like the color of Asperagopsis. We don't have enough red algae. The snail is my preferred solution.
Some of the things that Reef'd Up does are deliberately not in my bag of tricks.Smile
My last resort would be to:
- break the rock up and save the chunk with the Favia colony
 OR
- use a Dremel Tool to cut it off the rock, then mount it on a good rock and toss the Asperagopsis rock out the door.
Smile
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2011 at 12:09pm

As discussed a million times before, I'm a perfectionist when it comes to reefing, and I don't have time to deal with pests & pest algaes.  I don't know why we have to keep rehashing that we do things differently.  Say what you do, and what you do differently Mark...but there's no reason to point our differences specifically.  Anyway, there are plenty of red macroalgaes that do not become pests (Agar, Gracillaria, etc.)

The person posting can spend a couple bucks on a snail and some time driving up the LFS...and keep battling it like he has been.  Or, he can spend about the same amount of money and time (maybe a bit more), and be done with it.  He's obviously sick enough of it to be considering hydrogen peroxide, which means he probably wants a bit more of a permanent solution than a snail.

As far as saving the Favia and throwing away the rest of the rock...I wouldn't.  The rock you could save by what I mentioned above.  No point in throwing away some reef rock...recycle it!  It's a tiny piece that won't have to be re-farmed from the ocean.

Seriously Mark, please stop purposefully bringing me up in all of your posts to go against my opinions.  We both differ in our styles of reefkeeping, and that's fine.  You just don't have to bring ME up specifically (or anyone else for that matter) and keep rehashing how different we are.  Say your opinions and leave it at that.  Everyone else, I'm sorry to address this publicly, but I'm sick of it.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2011 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Reef'd Up Reef'd Up wrote:

As discussed a million times before, I'm a perfectionist when it comes to reefing, and I don't have time to deal with pests & pest algaes.  I don't know why we have to keep rehashing that we do things differently.  Say what you do, and what you do differently Mark...but there's no reason to point our differences specifically.  Anyway, there are plenty of red macroalgaes that do not become pests (Agar, Gracillaria, etc.)

The person posting can spend a couple bucks on a snail and some time driving up the LFS...and keep battling it like he has been.  Or, he can spend about the same amount of money and time (maybe a bit more), and be done with it.  He's obviously sick enough of it to be considering hydrogen peroxide, which means he probably wants a bit more of a permanent solution than a snail.

As far as saving the Favia and throwing away the rest of the rock...I wouldn't.  The rock you could save by what I mentioned above.  No point in throwing away some reef rock...recycle it!  It's a tiny piece that won't have to be re-farmed from the ocean.

Seriously Mark, please stop purposefully bringing me up in all of your posts to go against my opinions.  We both differ in our styles of reefkeeping, and that's fine.  You just don't have to bring ME up specifically (or anyone else for that matter) and keep rehashing how different we are.  Say your opinions and leave it at that.  Everyone else, I'm sorry to address this publicly, but I'm sick of it.

While I have not seen Reed'd Up's tank, judging from the conversations I have had with them, I believe their display tank (and style of reefing) are (or soon will be once they get settled in)very similar to mine. I have seen Mark's tank, and it dosen't look anything like my display- good, bad or indifferent. Align yourself with people on this board who match what you behold as your perfect piece of ocean and enjoy this beautiful hobby.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2011 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Reef'd Up Reef'd Up wrote:

First off I would like to say that I tried to send you a pm and for some reason it would not allow  me too :(.

I feel your frustrating sista Embarrassed. I have been on your end of Marks relentless nit picking and mentioning of my name in his bashing of what he does compare to what I do blah blah blah. I am not one to sit here and tell you " Bad girl", for saying something. Actually I applaud you. Once again Mark is getting comfortable enough on the board to start with his antics. Personally I get really tired of it too. Everyone has different ways of doing things and that is what is beautiful about this board, to be able to gather as much information as you can and deal with it in the manner you find is best for you. Once again Mark finds it necessary to exert his opinion harshly. Mark has a tendency to do this to women I am telling you.

Mark, last time I checked there was not a book out there saying " Marks Bible of Reef Keeping", so please try and keep your "Godly' opinions in check.

Nikki, once again I am sorry if you were offended or singled out, sadly it happens more often then not with this particular person.
 Pam

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2011 at 12:48am
Exactly guys.  There's no "right or wrong" way to do reefkeeping.  Do whatever works best for you!  Chances are though, even though something works, there's probably a better way of doing something out there...even if it's undiscovered.  So, be open-minded!  If someone does something differently or choses something other than your method...support them anyway!  Heavens knows we've all bought that one piece of equipment against everyone else's bad judgement...and everyone was still there (wishing they could say "I told you so", but don't...b/c they're good friends like that) to help us make a better decision next time. 

Xlr8r - sorry to get your topic off track.  I apologize.  I hope we've answered your questions.    
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
fishnfresh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishnfresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2011 at 12:58am
+1 on reef'd up and ptronsp.
It does get annoying just like the badgering he was tryin to give snowsrf and of coarse it was erased and swept under the rug when people stood up against him (like always).
There is a small few like 3-4 on here that like to do that but not as much and often. I agree say your spill and go on.

I have used peroxide on zoas when really having a hard time with them and it has worked. It was a last resort thing. I lost some but saved some also but if I wouldnt of done it prolly would of lost them all.

pam you have to re-type reef'd ups name in the sent to part think it is because of the ' in there name.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2011 at 1:05am
My apologies. I meant no offense. I respect different ways of keeping aquariums. My statement was just a different way to say that I disagree with the use of Hydrogen Peroxide, especially in this situation where saving the coral seemed to be paramount. Again, I am sorry for any offense it caused.

My tanks look different than most, especially in recent years, but I sure made a good profit on them. Wink
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2011 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

My apologies. I meant no offense. I respect different ways of keeping aquariums. My statement was just a different way to say that I disagree with the use of Hydrogen Peroxide, especially in this situation where saving the coral seemed to be paramount. Again, I am sorry for any offense it caused.My tanks look different than most, especially in recent years, but I sure made a good profit on them. Wink

Mark, do you notice a trend in the way you post, approach people on this board, finding yourself apologizing when someone with the cajones calls you on stuff like this?

Each time, you act like it's your first offense. Theres tons of people that are tired of it, and only a handful who will stand up against your ways. You live in a beautiful place that would be very conducive to some reflection, before hitting that reply button.
"A fish tank is not a pet. It's a TV that you gotta feed." - John Caparulo
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2011 at 12:39pm
I'm apologizing for offending you too Snowsrfr.
I know that people put up with my sometimes offensive way of saying things. I've been reminded many times. Honestly, I thought I was doing better. I didn't see what was offensive in my comment until it was pointed out to me. At this point, about all I can say is please forgive me. I'll try harder. And please don't hold back. It's hard to take, but I need it. Smile
MIK3B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIK3B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2011 at 4:15pm
It takes a big person to admit fault or swallow critisism, and although we exist here in an open forum where people are free to say what they feel like saying, it sometimes comes across wrong.

Even with BBcodes and smileys email, boards and text are so hard to convey emotion and sincerity since there is no tone, body language or inflection. Even if Mark had been being sarcastic or giving someone a little nudge there's really no way to know for sure. Even though I've only been on this board a short while, I was a WMAS member long ago and although we never really kept in touch, I've known Mark for years. And while we do all have different tanks and different opinions and approaches, one must admit that for the most part, his intent is to help and offer info and knowledge to anyone who asks. He may come across strong or as a know it all to some, I take what he suggests, pass it through my own internal filters and use what I will.

Whether any one of us has had a run-in with him or disagreed with his advice fervidly, the bottom line is we are all here to share, learn from each other and each others experience and help further our knowledge in this awesome hobby! It makes me sad to see and read the bickering and finger pointing. It's counterproductive.

Most of us know Mark and have seen his tanks, and whether or not you like them or his approach to reef keeping, you have to admit that he's been pretty successful with his methods, although that's not to say that anyone else's methods are better, worse or even more correct. Every one is entitled and should express their opinions and advice, as long as its done respectfully an constructively I for one am all for it.

If I don't like someone's approach I'll call them out, as some have done here, but after that, we move on with what we learned and go back to sticking our hands back in our own unique slice of the ocean, hopefully appreciating the fact that we have this awesome modern means of sharing and furthering this hobby via this great club and message board!!

Now back to cleaning that rock!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic