Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cameras

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cameras
    Posted: October 21 2011 at 10:37am
Im in the market for a new camera and im thinking about goin with the cannon t2i or the cannon t3i but i want it to be user friendly and easy to use! does anybody have experience with these cameras? opinions?
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2011 at 9:16pm
I've had my Canon 60D for about 3 months now and I worked with a 7D for about a year and a half. The T31 isn't much different apart from some button configurations and processor speed. 

First off how much experience do you have with DSLR's? If this is your first shot with owning one they can be fairly intimidating and costly. The Camera body itself is just the first step.

That said, once your past the learning curve and have a little capital to throw into lenses you can get some amazing shots. I think Canons are very user friendly in there operation. In it's default settings Canon tried to make access to almost any option one or two buttons away. 

If you're not sure though looking into renting a camera from your local camera shop and take it for a spin. If you don't know a thing about DSLR's you can find plenty of how-too video tutorials on the web to teach you before you start diving in.

Here is a shot I took about a year ago with my work camera (Canon 7D) -

Micah
225 Reef (not really mine but i act like it is)

29 Biocube

My Whole House System Build
Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2011 at 9:56pm
I dont think you can go wrong with either of those but I love my nikon.   What are you going to be using it for?
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2011 at 12:50am
Im a huge sony fan
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2011 at 7:57am
It is my first dslr camera. Im not worried about the money part i just wanted a good camera for taking photos of my tank, kids and stuff like that. I researched the entry level cameras and the cannon t2i and 3 seem to be the most user friendly and got really good reviews. i know the lenses are a must later down the road probably sooner than later.

Edited by laynframe - October 22 2011 at 7:57am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2011 at 11:51am
I think either of those would be a great camera for you then. Just weigh which one you like better and go for it. Try and find a package deal at costco or bestbuy where you can get some lenses with them and you will be set.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

ch3tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ch3tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2011 at 6:32pm
I'm a huge fan of canons. In my opinion they are the best cameras money can buy. If money isn't an issue I'd definitely go with the canon 7D. I have both a 7D and a 5D mark II. The 7D is super easy to use and the quality of shots is unreal. Also the 1080p video is incredible!
Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL
boogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2011 at 6:26pm
i have the t3i i dont know too much about them since is my first dslr
 but it works good for me
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2011 at 6:35pm
So its pretty easy to use?
boogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2011 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by laynframe laynframe wrote:

So its pretty easy to use?

ya if u want u can come over to my house and try it before u get one.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2011 at 1:45pm
They are all pretty simple. Its difficult enough that you will have to learn a lot of things with whatever camera you end up buying but all are simple and have a point and shoot type setting. One nice thing about the newer nikons like mine is they have a help button built in and if you have a second you can pull that up and it will tell you how to use it. But if you like the cannons jump on it. I am partial to nikons but canons are just as amazing. If you like them better jump on it and when you have time read the manual. DSLRs are a whole new world. there is a small learning curve but at first you can always use the auto point and shoot setting.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2011 at 10:33pm
I too love Canon I have used both Nikon and Canon. Nikons are lighter weight but in my opinion Canons have a faster response time so for shooting fish it is a lot easier. I use a Canon 50d that I am selling the body to upgrade to the 60d as I want video on it instead of having to have a separate video camera.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2011 at 7:50pm
60D's are awesome but the one thing they don't tell you about video mode is that there is no auto-focus. I don't mind manually focussing but you better have it on a good tripod if you filming while you do it. There is a suto-auto focus but it is way slow and can't seem to make up it's mind much of the time.

Micah

29 Biocube

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2011 at 12:14am
I got my new camera and absolutely love it. I don't have a problem with the video mode I recorded my daughters dance program tonight and once you focus it on the one object automatically it focused when I moved it as well.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2011 at 7:38am
Does the cannons have video stabilization? thats one thing I havent researched.
Chad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2011 at 10:49pm
I just upgraded to the new iphone 4s and it records 1080p in 30 frames per second with video stabilization and I bought the water proof case for it so I can't wait for a chance to put it in one of my tanks and take some pics and video's underwater!

What?! You pooped in the refrigerator, and ate the entire wheel of cheese?! I'm not even mad.... That's actually amazing!
radar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2011 at 9:43am
I am interested in getting a new lens for Christmas.  I have a Canon 60D.  What would people suggest for great tank shots.  A lens for close ups and a lens that would be good for full tank pics.
Thanks,
Daryl
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2011 at 9:57am
I love using my underwater camera, but here are the pros and cons:

Pros:

Great for shooting corals
I can't take good shots through my acrylic for some reason
very clear images
close ups are close ups

Cons:
It is hard to see exactly what your image will look like when you arent looking at the LED Screen
Fish are sometimes more startled by the camera (though most of mine like to pose for me)

Example of coral shot:

And here is a fish:

Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2011 at 10:05am
Oh and as for DSLR Canon or NIKON unless you are moving to the realm of Hasselblad's. 
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2011 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

I got my new camera and absolutely love it. I don't have a problem with the video mode I recorded my daughters dance program tonight and once you focus it on the one object automatically it focused when I moved it as well.

Wait really? Hmm I've got to play around with that. I love the 60D. It really is an amazing camera. I need to get myself some prime lenses though.

The one thing I miss though that my old point and shoot can do very very well is putting the lens right up to the glass and taking a shot of coral only inches away. With my dlsr it seems the focus rang is almost always over a foot away and that makes avoiding catching glass reflection harder.

I try and always keep my point and shoot close by for that reason.

Micah

29 Biocube

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic