Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post count

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post count
    Posted: October 26 2011 at 1:17pm
Was wondering if it is possible to have new members have a certain amount of post in the forum in order to start posting in the classifieds?

It seems as we have a lot of people lately just coming in to post there..

Molon Labe
Si vis pacem, para bellum
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2011 at 1:28pm
you are better to request that new member need to have X number post inorder to start a post in there.  Because you also have alot of new member offering to buy things in there.  Unless you dont want new members buying from here also.
220g , large elite aquatics sump. 3 Radion Pro Gen 3 lights 3 Mp 40's
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2011 at 2:14pm
Great suggestion! Give new members access to the classified section but require them to have "X" meaningful posts before selling something of their own. Even as little as 5 meaningful posts(not "nice,""+1,""I agree,""cool," etc.) will probably help control this problem.

Reasons to do this are:
1. It can be frustrating when you are an active member trying to sell an item only to have it pushed back to another page because someone who joined 5 minutes ago decided to post a link to their KSL ad. 
2. The classifieds are probably the most popular forum on UtahReefs.com and it should be a privilege to sell something on here to a specialized audience. 
3. Continued usage of the classifieds by "5-minute members" drowns out posts from the very active WMAS members. 
4. Implementing a new post-count rule on the classifieds MAY help spark more discussion and activity in the forum as a whole.

Just my 2cents... Smile

Edited by BillyC - October 26 2011 at 2:16pm
Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2011 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by lskurys lskurys wrote:

you are better to request that new member need to have X number post inorder to start a post in there.  Because you also have alot of new member offering to buy things in there.  Unless you dont want new members buying from here also.

Pm's are the answer for this :)
Molon Labe
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2011 at 6:02pm
This has been discussed in the past and we have considered it.  I will tell you why we chose not to implement this feature before.

The presidency felt that it may be a disadvantage to our members and MB users should a hobbyist who doesn't frequent the board or the internet decided to sale their entire set up, fish, coral, whatever.   If we required them to accumulate posts before they listed their items for sale, they would simply go elsewhere (ksl classified) and our users would potentially miss the advertisement.

I have posted things for sale in the member's only section first to provide first "dibs" to members. Should there be no interest, I re-post in the general forum.  This is a way to provide active members a Buy/Sale/Trade benefit that is not available to everyone - including the 5-minute members. (BTW - love this term)

I will make sure this is discussed at the next presidency meeting.  Any other opinions?
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2011 at 6:34pm
I agree with will.

I would not have got into this hobby without the classified section here. I bought and sold stuff like crazy when I first started. That's how I could afford to build the nice system that I currently have.

Like will said, post in the paid members section first then in the general classified section when you are selling things.

What we do need really bad is a feedback score for members so people don't get burned on here or taken advantage of.
Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2011 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by Laird Laird wrote:

I agree with will.

I would not have got into this hobby without the classified section here. I bought and sold stuff like crazy when I first started. That's how I could afford to build the nice system that I currently have.

Like will said, post in the paid members section first then in the general classified section when you are selling things.

What we do need really bad is a feedback score for members so people don't get burned on here or taken advantage of.

Laird and Shane have it right I think. My first post EVER on this forum almost three years ago was a post putting an offer on a tank (the one I still have!), if I hadn't been allowed to post I would probably have just gone to KSL and who knows if I would have returned. Classifieds are what drew me in but everything else kept me coming and a member. I have long been an advocate for a rating system of some sort for buyers/sellers to help alleviate some issues that you could potentially run into. IMO this has worked well on other larger forums and could work well on utahreefs.com.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2011 at 9:15pm
I think it would do more harm then good if we made a bunch of little rules regarding our forum. I'm actively on 6 forums and I always get pissed when I get on a new one and find out they limit you based on reputation, post count, or whatever.

We'd scare off new members for sure and we don't really benefit from it to start.

Micah
225 Reef (not really mine but i act like it is)

29 Biocube

My Whole House System Build
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2011 at 9:17pm
I agree with will.

I hope you agree with me as well.  Smile

Thanks,
Shane H
Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2011 at 11:32pm
Fair enough. :) was just a suggestion. It is a tad frustrating like stated above to have your post shuffled by people that are just logging on to sale something.

Molon Labe
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2011 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Shane H Shane H wrote:

I agree with will.

I hope you agree with me as well.  Smile

Thanks,

Shane H

No idea why I said will.... My bad
Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2011 at 1:05pm
Fair enough. :) was just a suggestion.

Jared - suggestions and recommendations are always welcome.  It is encouraging to see MB users who care enough to note a concern and suggest a solution. 

THANKS!

BTW - I'm sure the presidency will review your suggestion regardless of this thread.  It could be that other feel differently than me and changes may be made.
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2011 at 1:16pm
I actually was going to post pretty much what Shane posted, but I wanted to see what others had to say before I jumped in.

The presidency would actually like to know how other members feel about these issues so we can make a decision based on what the members want rather than what we think the members want.

So...what Shane said in his last post.Thumbs Up
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2011 at 1:21pm
I do like the idea of a BST rating system though. That would be cool.

Micah
225 Reef (not really mine but i act like it is)

29 Biocube

My Whole House System Build
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2011 at 2:27pm

If it was me, I would pull a report to see where most of the members make there first post.  After you know where new people are getting there start in the forums.  You might need to find a way to make changes that will not only helped the members that post all of the time and the member that like to read everything but never need to post, because it had already been addressed. 

Another thing that might help is to set up ranks for your members.  And set up another page that people that have to have x # post or rank, before they can see the post in that rank.   I would say the paid member rank is a good way to do that but it does seem that some very active people step in an out of that rank depending on how there life is going. 

Just some Ideas that may or may not help.   I must say the people in Utahreefs are great and they are the main reason that I picked this site as my main place to get information for my tank.  I know a lot of people have other reasons but this is worked for me. 

Shelby

220g , large elite aquatics sump. 3 Radion Pro Gen 3 lights 3 Mp 40's
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic