Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AIPTASIA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Pam&Jake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pam&Jake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AIPTASIA
    Posted: November 06 2011 at 3:59pm
I just bought a 65 gallon tank, the person I purchased it from lost interest in this great hobby, and ALL of the rocks that were with it are covered in Aiptasia. An suggestions for getting rid of it?? I have heard joes juice doesnt work, vinegar and water lowers...?.. Ph, and I have heard 1cc of lemon juice in a insulin needle works, but not sure what it does to everything in the tank. Any help will be appreciated!

Jake
Sitaga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sitaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 4:23pm
Aptasia eating filefish if you can find one.  I'm trying to get some in stock now, but they have been hard to come by.  Good luck!
Tons of livestock including fish, coral, and inverts currently in stock. We also have Reeflo pumps, SeaChem additives, Brine Shrimp Direct foods, and ATI lighting in stock.
Pam&Jake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pam&Jake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 4:36pm
Aptasia eating filefish... I'll look into them! Are they fairly in-expensive? I don't have that much extra cash to spend, currently all of my money is wrapped up in my sea horse project....

Jake
fishnfresh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishnfresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 4:40pm
if you dont have any coral yet I would get a kleins butterfly they work the best to munch it down and then get rid of it before you stock with coral.
Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 4:48pm

Won't a copper band butterfly work for this as well?  Aptasia X works well from what I have heard as well. 

Molon Labe
Si vis pacem, para bellum
uh60chief View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uh60chief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 4:56pm
http://www.reefaddicts.com/content.php/270-An-Easy-DIY-Aptasia-Burner
I just happen to be reading about this today.  I have never used this thing, so I leave you to make your own choice about this.
Jason&Andrea Townsend
Bluffdale Utah
Tired of looking at my empty 125 :(
Pam&Jake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pam&Jake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 5:07pm
I have Elegance, Candy Coral, Red modern, Seabae anemone, 1 hammer coral with 14 heads on it, one frog spawn with 5 heads, one frog spawn with one head, blastos, a few colonies of zoos, a clam covered in zoos, pulsating xenia, a few mushrooms.... um. some red looking stuff, I cant come up with the name ATM.... Quite a list, doest seem like there is that much in there! haha

Jake
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 5:18pm
I raise the berghia Nudibranch that eat aiptasia. They will eat aiptasia and that's ALL they will eat. 
To get aiptasia to spread I stress them out. Injecting them with anything will stress them IMO. If you do try the injecting method you will have better luck injecting them in the morning rather than in evening before the lights go out. Don't try to kill them all at once if there are a lot or you could cause the tank to crash.
Peppermint shrimp are hit and miss some will eat aiptasia some won't, and even then they only eat small ones. IMO peppermint shrimp aren't 100% reef safe.
Aiptasia eating filefish? Never had one.

Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
Pam&Jake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pam&Jake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 5:26pm
There's not too many, that I can see. maybe 4 rocks covered with 10 heads, tops...
You raise them? thats cool. Can I borrow one? I want the aiptasia gone. I'll put up something to ensure you get your fish back. lol

Jake
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 5:26pm
Berghia Nudibranch's at the #1 way to get rid of Aptasia in my opinion. 

#2 is Aptasia X from Red Sea.  Find it at any LFS.

Filefish also got a huge thumbs up from several hobbiests at the Mountain West Reef Fest this year.
Pam&Jake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pam&Jake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 5:32pm
Looking at pictures of this invertibrate, I think I'm just going to have to buy one. :p Where can I find one and for about how much is one? The closest salt water place is Aquatic Dreams... I don't like that place, their stuff is off the charts price wise....

Jake
jcoulter17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcoulter17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 5:44pm
What other fish store have you been to?
Pam&Jake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pam&Jake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 5:46pm
I have been to almost all of them in the salt lake-ogden area, except  for the one on 12th street, but I have heard his SW selection sucks and is even more off the charts than Aquatic dreams is....
jcoulter17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcoulter17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 6:21pm
I been to all the fish stores around here too and what I can tell is that the prices are about the same. I can tell you that ADs is cleaner than any other store and AD customer service is way better too. If a dollar or two more I would still shop at AD.

I can tell you about other stores customer service if you like and see if you would still shop there.

Last thing you can always buy I membership and save 10% at the LRS
Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 6:48pm
Aquatic Dreams is honestly one of the most better priced stores that I have been to.  Their selection of coral is far better priced then any other place that I have gone/go to. 

Have you asked about price matching?  I also agree with the ^ post.   AD was the only store that talked to me for hours when I was first starting out in the hobby to help me along the way.  And still to this day will take time to answer any and all questions. 

I know everyone is biased about the places they shop and the people they deal with, but stating what I see and continue to see for AD when I am in there.  They are always helping someone out. 
Molon Labe
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Pam&Jake Pam&Jake wrote:

The closest salt water place is Aquatic Dreams... I don't like that place, their stuff is off the charts price wise....Jake

Biting my tongue...biting my tongue....biting my tongue....
"A fish tank is not a pet. It's a TV that you gotta feed." - John Caparulo
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 8:26pm

If "natural" eradication doesn't work, I recommend trying this:

Feed the aiptasia...a lot.  I mean, keep feeding it until it's about to burst.  Turn off all flow and hit the aiptasia with a tiny squirt of sodium hydroxide.  That's it...the end.  You just have to be extremely careful with the sodium hydroxide...it's nasty stuff.  (The point of feeding the aiptasia is so that it can't jerk back into its hole.  I wouldn't try feeding with any other method...b/c if it fails, then you just have a really well-fed aiptasia.) 
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 9:17pm
I've always had great luck with Peppermint shrimp and they are usually dirt cheap. My dad had probably 100+ Aptasia in his 225 and he bought like 30 peppermint shrimp wholesale. His aptasia was gone in a week. That said if you can get your hands on some of those berghia's then I'd go that way first. Just be prepared to sale or give it to someone who has aptasia when you are done as they will starve and die once it's all gone.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
mermaidcamille View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mermaidcamille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 9:20pm
I had this problem horribly.  My tank was covered (not an exaggeration Mike has pictures somewhere.)  I didn't know what they were in the beginning and thought they were cool, until I realized they weren't that cool and by that point I was in trouble.  I won't tell you what to do, but I will tell you what I did:

I bought Aptasia X and it works fast!  They were dead quick.  The problem then was all the tiny ones that were left behind.  I didn't have the time or energy to dose every itsy bitsy one.  Everyone said that berghia nudibranchs were the way to go, so I spent way too much money on a bunch, put them in my tanks (This was two tanks I was dealing with 29g nano and 135g.)  I never saw them ever again and I don't think the Aptasia did either.  I would never buy them again. Lastly, I invested in about 10 peppermint shrimp and split them between the tanks.  Boom. GONE!  Should have done that first.  Of the hundreds (thousands) of Aptasia that I dealt with two years ago I only have one left (we have an understanding: he doesn't spread, I don't kill him and we have both been happy for over a couple years now Smile...living on the edge I guess.)

Good luck.
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 9:22pm
Camille - you are playing with fire! I like your style!
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic