Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new to salt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
96slowbra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96slowbra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new to salt
    Posted: November 07 2011 at 2:44pm
i have been on here for a couple of weeks reading and soaking up as much as i can. just bought a 54g corner from a utahreefs member(thanks rusty) so i thought i would post up.

i had a 29gallon bio cube that i bought used prior to this, but the corner tank was just too good of a deal to pass up. then he threw in a bunch of extras to make it even better.

i have another 60 lbs or so(thanks to nsfw dave) of rock that is sitting in a tub of bleach and hopefully i can have it in by the weekend.

i have added a light to my sump and hope to round up some caulerpa soon also.

anyways, you guys seem to have lots of advice, and also seem to be very helpful

benny
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2011 at 2:53pm
Welcome to the hobby and welcome to the board. There is a ton of experience on here and if your anything like me you will find it to be your most valuable resource. I started in the hobby nearly 4 years ago and these people here have been consistently helpful and supportive.

Good luck!

Micah

Edited by Sculpin - November 07 2011 at 3:37pm
225 Reef (not really mine but i act like it is)

29 Biocube

My Whole House System Build
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2011 at 3:26pm
Welcome! +1 to what Micah said (except I've only been in the hobby 2 years)

That is an awesome tank to start with! Good luck!

nsfw dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nsfw dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2011 at 4:20pm
well hello benny, benny is in my little group of noobs :)
480 in wall in progress
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2011 at 4:50pm
Rusty is a cool dude.  i have seen this tank in person.  Very nice!
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
MIK3B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIK3B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2011 at 10:43pm
Welcome to your new addiction - let us know what we can do to add fuel to the fire!

There are lots of great members up north in your area, some great ones down south and in between as well. Like has been stated already, you'll find a wealth of knowledge and experience and some great deals in the Classifieds section.

You should come to the next meeting if you can, you don't have to be a member, but you'll likely find that membership has it's own benefits - little things...like half price frags at Frag Fest!
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2011 at 10:04am
Myself and other several experienced helpful reefers are right here in the Ogden area, so feel free to ask for help, advice, etc. anytime!

Bret
"A fish tank is not a pet. It's a TV that you gotta feed." - John Caparulo
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2011 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Snowsrfr Snowsrfr wrote:

Myself and other several experienced helpful reefers are right here in the Ogden area, so feel free to ask for help, advice, etc. anytime!

Bret

+1
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2011 at 11:34am
I have to say that even though you are new to Salt it looks like you are off in the right direction - I am of course referring to the pile of wet towels on the ground in the first picture. My tank looks bare if the towels aren't there!
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
96slowbra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96slowbra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2011 at 3:07pm
lol.. it doesn't matter how fast i haul them out, more pile up just as fast
105 rimless
96slowbra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96slowbra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2011 at 4:35pm
update. finally got some rock. bought some at aquatic dreams big sale, and got some dry rock from a friend who is setting up a 300 gallon.

105 rimless
boysty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boysty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2011 at 9:41pm
Benny the tank is looking great! I have several kinds of chaeto and calurpa I will give you if you make it down this way again and a peice of the ponape birdsnest to
Time waits on no one
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 12:06am
Looks good. And of course the mochas looks great.

Troy

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

MIK3B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIK3B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 1:23am
Looking good. Glad too see you're getting some life in there. Just remember to try and take it slow. It's hard but as they say "the only things that happen fast in a reef tank are the bad ones". All things in good time. Keep an eye on those water parameters and add stuff with patience, although that's easier said than done! :-)

I like the way you've got your rock 'scaped...nice arches and caves - room for coral and fish alike!
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 9:29am
Looks great! Keep us posted on new updates even if they are good or bad!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic