Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Back in the game

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
xessive force View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xessive force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back in the game
    Posted: November 13 2011 at 6:52pm
After about a year and a half hiatus from reef keeping I am getting back in the game.  I have been able to acquire an older 24 gallon nano cube.  I am really excited to get going again and to see if I can get a healthy reef up and going again. 

I do have a few questions (its amazing how much I have forgotten).  The plastic cover on the inside of the lid that covers the lights and fans is a little off colored.  I think its mostly due to age and the fact that one of the fans is not working (will be replacing with computer fans) and the plastic may have over heated.  I was wondering short of replacing the whole lid with an LED set-up (which will be down the road a ways) what would you recommend?  Its not super off colored just yellowed a bit kinda dingy looking. 

My second questions has to do with the set up of the tank, the tank came with 5 or 6 smaller live rocks and a live sand bed.  I will not be setting the tank up for another 3 weeks due to an upcoming move and the rock has just been in a bucket with no heater and no water circulation.  Same with the sand for that matter just at the bottom of the tank.  My plans are to scrap the sand all together and start over with new sand.  My question has to due with the quote unquote live rock.  Should I scrap that too ?  Its maybe only 8 pounds or so of rock?  I was thinking I may just be best off starting over and using dead base rock and then topping it off with new live rock but I would love your advice on this issue. 

Also if I do go with new sand and new rock how long will the tank need to cycle (best guess) before I start adding live stock such as c. up c. etc?

And lastly I have no idea how much use the lights have had on them.  I did get two sets of blue (actinic sp?) bulbs and two sets of day light bulbs but I have no idea at all on the use of them.  Would you recommend just starting fresh with new bulbs?  And if so which ones?

Any help would be much appreciated and I really look forward to the beauty of a reef once again in my home!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic