Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I have a Bobbit Worm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
19cobra93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19cobra93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I have a Bobbit Worm
    Posted: November 13 2011 at 7:18pm
So I've been noticing some of my zoas have appeared "eaten" by something. I don't have any tankmates that would generally eat zoas. Although I have seen one of my Emerald Crabs picking at them, but I think he's just getting at algae that's attached to them. 

Anyway, so tonight I'm geeking out just looking at all the little crevasses and I notice a zoa polyp head being dragged into a hole/cavern in one of my rocks. As I watch more closely I notice some striped antenna's, then a creature makes it's way out with a centipede type body with a metallic appearance. It's probably a few inches long, and about a 1/4" in diameter, and vicious. It devoured that zoa polyp in just a few moments. It's got giant teeth/jaws/pinchers and is REALLY interesting looking.

Does anyone know the best way to get rid of this thing? He's big enough and capable of eating my Scooter Blenny and whatever else he wants, so I want him out. 

Google "Bobbit Worm" and look at the images if you're not familiar with them. I wasn't until now.

BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2011 at 7:23pm
Wow that's the nastiest worm I've ever seen
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2011 at 7:25pm
Can you get a picture? Those are nasty worms... did it freak you out? It would me!

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

fishnfresh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishnfresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2011 at 7:29pm
crush the rock lol
nsfw dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nsfw dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2011 at 7:37pm
cut your losses... burn your house down immediately
480 in wall in progress

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishnfresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2011 at 7:59pm
http://www.michiganreefers.com/forums/advanced-topics/84173-bobbit-worm-chronicles-11.html

I read this one night and had nightmares lol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishnfresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2011 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by nsfw dave nsfw dave wrote:

cut your losses... burn your house down immediately

and that would be the easiest way lol

think cory price had one also was huuuuge
nsfw dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nsfw dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2011 at 8:23pm
holy crap, that link and story is no joke. I would save what you can from the tank, then drain and fill it with gasoline and burn it.

480 in wall in progress
Rara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2011 at 8:46pm
gross.

Good luck
19cobra93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19cobra93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2011 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by ptronsp ptronsp wrote:

Can you get a picture? Those are nasty worms... did it freak you out? It would me!

I'm working on getting a picture or video. He's super shy, so any sort of movement by me or the fish and he darts back in his hole. And, he's got multiple connected holes. Either that, or I have 2 of them. I almost had him enticed out by a mysis shrimp, but he would barely poke his antenna out.  I've seen him poking out at the top of the rock, and at the bottom of the same rock. Now that I know he's there and what to look for, I'm going to try and sneak up on him after the lights go out.

He's sort of silver/brass in color and has a white band about 4 or 5 segments back. His antenna are purple and black striped. He's got quite a tunnel system and it's in a rock that's a supporting rock for other rocks, and my large anemone is attached to this rock as well.  So I'd rather not remove the whole rock at this time.
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2011 at 6:38am
Bobbit worm thread

Yes, ours was several feet long and did major damage. It's gone now.
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2011 at 7:34am
ewe! on so many levels..
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2011 at 10:33am
I remember yours cory! These things are nasty!
19cobra93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19cobra93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2011 at 10:39am
Originally posted by hydro phoenix hydro phoenix wrote:

ewe! on so many levels..

Yeah I found your thread when researching what the hell this thing is. 

I think I'm going to work on removing the rock and either placing it in fresh water, or hang it above a bucket of salt water and see if this thing will come out. I don't know what else to do.
Lowry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lowry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2011 at 10:42am
I did a freshwater dip on the rock where I had 2 residing and it worked like a charm.  Didn't kill anything else on the rock either. (of course I didn't have any corals, etc on it at the time)
Moving back to Utah soon, and starting a new tank or three!
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2011 at 11:26am
reminds me of this guy from zelda:

Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2011 at 12:19pm
here is a link to the one that was found in Feb at AD
Pretty cool pics
220g , large elite aquatics sump. 3 Radion Pro Gen 3 lights 3 Mp 40's
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2011 at 4:17pm
Can you plug its holes with some expoy putty or something?
Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2011 at 4:22pm
I wasn't really sure what these are so I looked it up and found this video on Youtube- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkUSx6aQGXU

Nasty freakn' things.

Micah
225 Reef (not really mine but i act like it is)

29 Biocube

My Whole House System Build
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2011 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by lskurys lskurys wrote:

here is a link to the one that was found in Feb at AD

Pretty cool pics

See my post above. The worm was in my tank and not at AD.

Corey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic