Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

questions about flow and aquascaping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
96slowbra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96slowbra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: questions about flow and aquascaping
    Posted: November 14 2011 at 2:19pm
finally got some rock in my tank. i made a pretty big cave in the bottom. is the flow from my 2 front mounted powerheads going to be enough, or should i add a 250 inside the cave?

105 rimless
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2011 at 2:38pm
If you could place one at the bottom and direct it towards the surface it will help increase the gas exchange and promote better health in your tank. If you have a hard time getting it setup here is how I did it. Also as far as current in the tank, it all depends on what you are planning on keeping. SPS corals will want more flow and LPS usually like less flow. I would say you have enough flow for whatever you want to keep, it just depends on how you direct the flow.

Mod to my Koralia 3 power head

Edited by WhiteReef - November 14 2011 at 2:40pm
----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
96slowbra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96slowbra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2011 at 2:58pm
i am more concerned with the flow in the cave??? i am wondering if i will get algae build up in there without a powerhead inside of the rock. i seem to have good flow in the rest of the tank

but i like what you did there

Edited by 96slowbra - November 14 2011 at 2:59pm
105 rimless
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2011 at 3:25pm
I would think that the flow in the cave should be okay, but moving a power head lower in the tank will cause a current across the bottom and should help provide some minimum flow. That is what I found in my tank.
----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2011 at 4:26pm
I would probably point that return downwards a little bit more. 
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
bbauman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbauman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2011 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Tanuki Tanuki wrote:

I agree.
28g Cube

Beginners Guide to Saltwater Aquariums

Brandon in West Jordan
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2011 at 10:26am
Originally posted by bbauman bbauman wrote:

Originally posted by Tanuki Tanuki wrote:

I agree.

I don't know if your tanks work the same as mine but when I point my return lines down and shut off my sump it will siphon all the way down to where the return line is. For that reason I point all my return lines horizontal.

I guess I could use a check valve but why would I if I don't need it.

Micah
225 Reef (not really mine but i act like it is)

29 Biocube

My Whole House System Build
96slowbra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96slowbra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2011 at 10:50am
i turned it down a little, but some of my corals started to close up. so i only moved it a little
105 rimless
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2011 at 3:13pm
If you have a sump, I'd be very careful pointing return lines on corals.....returns are best used to skim the top of the water.....remember, when doing waterchanges, adding carbon, gfo, or any other maintenance, this is usually done in the sump.  So when you do such maintenance and then go turn your return back on, that first spray of water coming out is hitting all your corals if your return is pointing at corals.  This is especially harmful if you don't match water temps while doing water changes....that new cold water doesn't need to be penetrating your corals. 

I'd suggest leaving the return up high as is to skim the water, then changing around your powerheads if needed for complete flow in tank.

Good luck
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2011 at 4:30pm
For my return line I drilled a hole in the top small enough that the water doesnt spray out, but it kills the siphon too if the pump stops.
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic