Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SALINITY FOR ACANS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hedgefish View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SALINITY FOR ACANS
    Posted: November 21 2011 at 11:50am
WHAT IS THE BEST SALINITY FOR ACANS,THANKS
hedgefish
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 12:00pm
Are you planning on an acan only tank?
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 12:04pm
Honestly like any corals ... I would say around 1.025 give or take a little. Mainly just dont have big fluctuation in you salinity
hedgefish View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 2:05pm
NO WITH A FEW OTHER TYPES OF CORAL
hedgefish
hedgefish View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 2:06pm
WOULD 1.026 BE TO HIGH
hedgefish
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 2:08pm
No you should be ok there, that is what I keep my tank at and my acans are doing great!
hedgefish View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 2:13pm
JUST SEEMED HIGH,MY ACAN IS NOT DOING THE BEST,I WAS WONDERING MAYBE THAT WAS TO HIGH,THANKS
hedgefish
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 2:33pm
Where are they located? What lighting is it under? What is the water params? Do you have a picture of it and then one of the full tank?

Edited by disneymania - November 21 2011 at 3:17pm
Rara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 3:03pm
I have an LPS dominated tank and keep my salinity around 1.025 for better or worse.
I've lost about 4 frags of acans. I attribute a majority of the losses to a rogue peppermint shrimp that would tear into the acans after I spot feed them. I would feed them and the next day they would be extremely retracted. Eventually I checked the tank one night and found the peppermint shrimp eating an acan.

My other mistake was having one in too high of flow area. I've also noticed that too high up on the rock work and they fade out.

I'm by no means an experienced reefer, but I do love the acans and other LPS. I look forward to hearing other people's experiences.

Edited by Rara - November 21 2011 at 3:05pm
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 3:08pm
Check your params. I have acans and if anything is out of order they are one of the first to retract.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Rara Rara wrote:

My other mistake was having one in too high of flow area. I've also noticed that too high up on the rock work and they fade out.

I was wondering about this as well. That is why i was wondering placement. I did the same thing put it in to direct of flow and they were a goner!
hedgefish View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2011 at 6:48pm
EVERTHING CHECKS OUT JUST GREAT,BUT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THEM SWELL UP LIKE I BOUGHT THEM AT THE STORE,IS THERE ANY YOU CAN GIVE THEM TO HELP THEM EXPAND.THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.Confused
hedgefish
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2011 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by hedgefish hedgefish wrote:

EVERTHING CHECKS OUT JUST GREAT,BUT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THEM SWELL UP LIKE I BOUGHT THEM AT THE STORE,IS THERE ANY YOU CAN GIVE THEM TO HELP THEM EXPAND.THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.Confused

Acans demand that Magnesium levels be kept in check to stay healthy. If you don't maintain your Mg levels plan on them being slightly unhappy most of the time. A Mg level of around 1300ppm would be sufficient.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2011 at 9:04pm
When you say everything checks out great, what does that mean? What are the numbers?
hedgefish View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2011 at 9:50pm
KH 214.8 MG 1300  GRAVITY 1.024  TEMP. 80  PH 8.4  PO3/4 0.0 CA420  ,HERES A PICTURE OF THE TANK ,LEDS ARE 15 INCHES ABOVE THE WATER 120 WATTS 15000 K
hedgefish
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2011 at 7:15pm
I like to keep my MG higher than 1300, I just see better colors and better growth at a higher amount.

Also where are the acans in the picture? Do you have any power heads in there? Have you checked your ph at different times to see what the swings are?

Jeffatpm View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffatpm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2012 at 5:17pm
My acan's used to love sitting 6" under a 250W mh - same with my candy canes.  With my led's they hate them.  I have to put my acan's at the bottom of my tank and slowly adjust things like candy canes.
210 Reef with loads of LEDS
Large Fishey Room
Located Near Jordan Landing in West Jordan.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic