Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Retro fitting lights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mikenmandymoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikenmandymoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Retro fitting lights
    Posted: November 25 2011 at 12:44pm
So fellow aquariusts... I have a question (or two. :) ) about retro fitting some lights.  We won some ultra cool coral life lights at Reef Fest this year - but we do not currently have a housing for the lights. :(  I believe they are T5 lights - but we don't have fixtures for them.  We DO have the standard stock canopy lights that come with most aquariums - but I was thinking they were for basic flouresent lights.

any suggestions in how we can get the appropriate lighting for our Fish, LiveRock, and Soft Coral 40 gal tank?
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2011 at 12:50pm
I don't know if there are fixtures you can buy for retro fit lights (ive never looked) but I set up my retro fits in an "after market" canopy that I bought from Dion Richins. It has worked out really well and it was really easy to install the end caps and reflectors.

I'm sure something could be built to house the retro fit lights in but it was much easier and this canopy looks much nicer than anything I could have come up with.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikenmandymoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2011 at 12:58pm

So you got an after market from Richins Carpentry?

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2011 at 1:27pm
Yes I did. Some things to consider when getting a canopy like this are heat issues. My canopy is open in the back and I have a fan mounted that kicks on when the temp gets to a certain degrees. I have two vho's(hardly put off any heat at all) and a 175 watt metal halide(puts off a lot of heat)for lighting. Not sure what kind of heat t5's put off but something you'll probably need to address.

m.ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m.ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2011 at 9:54pm
When you say "standard stock canopy lights" what are you refering to?  A picture would be very beneficial.  What size and the T5 bulbs?  And how big is the tank?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikenmandymoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2011 at 10:18am
We actually have no light fixtures for the 40 gallon.  We were looking to have fixtures without a canopy.  I will definitely get pics up of the other light hoods that we have for the 125 gal and the 65 gal.  Although we are looking to get the 40 gal up and going first.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic