Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thrive Dosing Products

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thrive Dosing Products
    Posted: December 06 2011 at 5:10pm
Okay so I'm not sure how many of you have heard or tried this stuff, but wanted to share.

It's a full line of dosing. Calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, iodine, strontium, and potassium.
Only place I know of that carries it so far is Aquatic Dreams.

What you do is take your water in for testing. All your results are written down and then entered into the thrive data base. And it then instantly comes back with a prescription for your tank! And you can have it be tank specific. Like sps dominant, lps dominant, general reef, and a couple others.

The prescription tells you exactly what you need, how much to dose, and when to dose it. Also has tons of salt variations that we use to mix for our water changes. It well also tell you how big of water change to do, what salinity the water should be mixed at to either raise or lower your salinity.

I've already started using it as of today!

On there website. Thriveaquatics.com you can go in make a profile of your tank, all your equipment, parameters, and when you replaced your bulbs and what type.. And it will tell you when you need to change your bulbs or even things like your media.

So far I am very very impressed! And the products are not even expensive. You can buy the refillable bottles for around 20.00 and they are 600ml. Once the bottle is empty you just go buy a refill bag and fill the bottle back up! Refills are like 12 or so.

Here is a little bit of what my prescription said..

Perform a water change by mixing 5.75 lbs(9 3/4 cups) of AQ-systems-instant ocean with 15 gallons of water at 79f. After mixing, check to make sure SG of mixture is 1.028. If reading is lower and more salt until the mixture is 1.028. If reading is greater add more water until hydrometer reads 1.028

After performing water change, it is estimated that the alkalinity will be 7.4dkh, which is lower than your ideal value for this tank. Please add 33ml of Thrive Alkalinity and retest the alkalinity 2 days after completing.

After performing water change, it is estimated that the calcium level will be 386.5 ppm, which is lower than your ideal value for this tank. Please add 60ml of thrive calcium and retest the calcium 2 days after completing the water change.

That gives you a general idea of what the script says.
Molon Labe
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2011 at 5:23pm
Awesome. Be sure to let fishnfresh know how it works out for you.

http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=52908

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2011 at 5:49pm
Oh lol
Molon Labe
jcoulter17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcoulter17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2011 at 8:03pm

Edited by jcoulter17 - January 13 2012 at 9:11pm
Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2011 at 2:28am
How did you link it?
Molon Labe

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcoulter17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2011 at 11:48am
just copy and paste 
fishnfresh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishnfresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2011 at 10:27pm
This is so cool how you can pick what you want from your tank like jcoulter has Aquarium Type: Balanced Color and Growth SPS Tank

Or you can do just color or just growth also sps dominate or lps dominate. And it will give recomendations for the best way to get this
Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2011 at 3:27am
Follow directions exactly !!!! That is the biggest thing that I have found with the product is that is very concentrated and brings your levels up easily.  So do not dose with out testing as I know there are some people out there that will do this.
Molon Labe
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2011 at 8:51am
If I may.....

This system is a "one size fits all" type of system. Yes, it seems cool and easy but I would be VERY cautious with the whole thing.

Thrive thinks 76F is low, 400ppm for Ca is DANGEROUSLY LOW! and 1500ppm for Mg is DANGEROUSLY HIGH! shows me this would NEVER work for me. Our tanks are NOT a one size fits all program.

Just dumping in chemicals because a company told me to is crazy! Be ready for problems because they will happen. When I was 2 part dosing every day on my 40g tank, I couldn't use the calculator for how much Alk and Ca to add. I did a rough estimate of my total water volume but was off. I got online and entered in all my info and the calculator said to add X amount of Alk. I ran over to the tank and dumped in said amount. The next day I tested my alk and it was 2dkh higher than I wanted it to be. I chalked it up to test error and tested again. Nope, same result.

I got back online and entered all my info again. It told me to dose the same amount as the night before. So I decided to test this theory and waited a few days for my alk to come back down. Once it was lower than where I like it (8 dkh) I put my values in once again and dosed the tank. When I tested the next day, alk was back up to 10dkh.

I learned then that I will NOT trust what some calculators say ever again. I did my own system and came up with my own amounts. The calculators were adding 2x more than they should have. I am lucky I was testing every day for 2 straight weeks or I would have been aimlessly dumping in way too much alk and ca.

I also keep my Ca around 420ppm and my Mg is always around 1500. I learned the hard way what low Mg will do. I would rather see 1500 on my Mg than 1200. You can bet that any Mg test kit will be off by about 100ppm and every Ca test kit will be off by about 50ppm. I don't have the link anymore but there was a guy who did a full blown study on test kits and those are the numbers he found. Hobby grade test kits are for reference only and we should just try to stay within a range.

If I run my alk around 8-8.5, I know I am okay. If I keep my Calcium around 420-450, I know I am okay and as long as my Mg is above 1350, I know I am okay.

I am not saying that this product doesn't work but just use caution. Follow what Quickness said:

Originally posted by Quickness Quickness wrote:

Follow directions exactly !!!! That is the biggest thing that I have found with the product is that is very concentrated and brings your levels up easily.  So do not dose with out testing as I know there are some people out there that will do this.
Rara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 12:58pm
Just curious if anyone is still using this system?  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishnfresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2012 at 11:49am
I still use it and love it. Must be alot of people using it since when I go into aquatic dreams there shelves are near empty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcoulter17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2012 at 12:22pm
First I had the same reef tank for about 8 plus years. I had moved this tank all over the US. My tank only crash one time and it was with the use of thrive. DO NOT FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS ON THE BACK OF THE PRODUCT. This is what I did and my tank crashed.
Rara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2012 at 12:24pm
So there are directions on the back of the bottle and directions on a print out that the store gives you?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcoulter17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2012 at 12:29pm
yup follow the directions from the print out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishnfresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2012 at 5:30pm
Yea you can also do it at home. go to there website and put in all your readings and it will give you a prescription for your tank. Follow those ones. You can email them or talk to ryan or ben and they are very informative. I have emailed thrive and they get back to me pretty fast
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic