Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HEELLP! I NEED A HOSPITAL TNK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2011 at 7:16pm
Patrick?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2011 at 10:17pm
You can cite all the literature you want to support any end game you want.
Truth in my tank is this simple. UV and ozone with garlic from time to time has kept my tanks free from ick infestations for years now. The parasite exists in all tanks whether you want to believe it or not. ITs just waiting to take control of a week fish. I belive that to some extent all fish are carriers. Most are able to keep the problem at such a low level that they are not bothered by it.
The fact that Patrick is having such a bad out break suggests that there is a serious imbalance of something in his tank. Chemical, water, stray electricity, aggression, temp swings, just to name some of the possible causes.
Mark has a point that you have 2 choices when confronted by an outbreak like this. I'm going to paraphrase it this way.
1- you can read all the published literature you want and do your best to decipher what has been written. And hope that it is based in reality and not just a lab setting.
2- you can find out how the members of your local club have combated the issue. Taking in the advice of the ones that have not only been in the hobby over a year but keep large and multiple tanks. They have combated the issue (some times many times in their learning curve) and typically won and/or learned what doesn't work.

Now to the BS part. Ozone isn't supposed to kill the parasite on the fish. It kills the free floating Bugs. Much like the UV. Combine them both and you've got a great killing machine. YOUR job at this time is to get your fish healthy enough to survive the attack and then FIX what ever weekend them to the point that they succumbed to the attack......or keep losing fish?
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2011 at 8:59am
To all:  Wow, what an amazing group to offer so much help and direction in an absolute chit storm.  I will certainly be joining the club and I want to thank all who took time out of their lives to offer their experience/insight.  Here is were I stand.

Things looking on the up and up... Spots are diminishing and fish aren't irritated anymore.  This is the action I took.  New UV light (mine was well, lets just say I probably had the equivelant of a Keychain flashlight running in there).  Ozone, running off and on the past 3 days (sometimes hours at a time).... I never noticed any change in corals etc.  Garlic, just started using it again to keep appetites up.  I originally tried Herbtana (I'm sure that did nothing for me).  A water change in the midst of it all.  I lost a Yellow Tang and my Powder Brown Tang (the likely cause).  I will be concentrating on getting a refugium up and going, keeping my temp stable, and maintaining my water chem.   I think the deep clean and addition of new fish I did recently kicked the sleeping bear....woops.  I will also be setting up a quarantine/hosp tank and will start isolating new fish for 48 hrs and use freshwater dips. 

So.... for now, I think I'm out of the woods unless the buggers are just between stages. I will certainly give a shout-out if anything changes! BTW, does anyone have some greenery to help me start my refugium?  You guys are awesome.  THANK YOU. See you at the next mtg. I am able to attend so I can put faces to the names.

Edited by patrick - December 11 2011 at 9:03am
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2011 at 9:42am
I can get you a little cheato free. others may have much larger suplies to provide bigger chunks.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler -A.E.
57 Gallon RImless build in progress check the thread before if becomes boring and just full of nice pictures of colorful coral!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2011 at 10:00am
Originally posted by patrick patrick wrote:

To all:  Wow, what an amazing group to offer so much help and direction in an absolute chit storm.  I will certainly be joining the club and I want to thank all who took time out of their lives to offer their experience/insight. 
Thumbs Up The reason the WMAS is 10 times larger, per capita, than any other club in the world is because we really go out of our way to help each other. Smile

It looks like the UV Sterilizer had been keeping the little buggers under control but it had lost it's usefulness because the UV tube was old and weak. I agree with your conclusion that the "deep clean and addition of new fish" stressed the tank to the point that the parasite found an environment perfect for reproduction.

Ozone use, as you described it, was probably not significant enough to make the difference. The new UV tube is what did the trick.

If you would like to improve your pet's environment even more, to make them really happy, to make it so nice that if the UV goes out the parasite won't again sweep through the land, give some thought to my previous questions and post a pic of the tank.

If I was able to visit in person and actually see your tank, as I have with hundreds of hobbyists since we began the WMAS, the long list of questions would have been asked as we talked story and looked at your tank. In the absence of that visit, and to save time, I simply created the list of questions. We really can help you improve your reef aquarium and your enjoyment of the hobby, if you will take the time to answer the remaining questions below.

- Does the tank smell like the ocean or does it have a fishy smell?
- What are the Alk, Ca and pH levels of this tank?
- What is the pH level at 6AM (before sunrise and lights on)
- What algae is growing in the tank and how much of it?
- How fast is water flowing throughout the tank itself. what pumps and how are they placed?
- What garlic product and how is it being dosed?
- Pic of the tank?

I would highly recommend asking Adam and Dion if you could pay them each a visit and learn how they keep a healthy environment in their aquariums.

And finally, this is yours truly "in" one of my best Refugium-less tanks, TOTM November 2008.

And another:

And another Embarrassed

Edited by Mark Peterson - December 11 2011 at 10:16am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic