Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brown diatoms and Cyano help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brown diatoms and Cyano help
    Posted: December 07 2011 at 5:59pm
Ok I have to say I am getting really annoyed. I have not been able to get fully rid of the brown diatoms since moving everything to this tank about 2 months ago:( It is driving me crazy! I am also getting some cyano, I rearranged my rock work and placed two Koralia 3's towards the bottom pointing up, I can see everything moving and the sand is moving in the places that have the diatoms and cyano so I don't know what to do anymore:( I have a mag 12 running my return so I have great flow.
Any suggestions???
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2011 at 7:21pm
You were here and even with no light could see I have the same problem. Been fighting it for over a year. All chemical treatment damaged or killed acros. I just gave up. The t5's have made a huge difference in just days my cyano is almost gone. . Good luck this is no fun at all......
I have flying monkeys and I'm not afraid to use them.

180 gallon money pit that I love.....
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2011 at 7:50pm
I have the same problem and Im thinking that its the new tank/time of year. I have used Chemiclean on my small tank and it has worked really well but seems to be only a short term cure. Maybe try feeding less or doing bigger water changes. All I can guess is that its due to excess nutrients. 
Call or Text (801)834-3119
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2011 at 7:54pm
Connie let me know how it does in a few weeks with the t5. The funny thing is I only feed about every 3 days. I am wondering if the light I have over my sump isn't enough as my macro isn't growing the greatest.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2011 at 11:40pm
run some gfo, the problem will disappear in a month's time...unless you've already tried this?

current tds reading?
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2011 at 11:42pm
TDS on RO/DI water is 0 it is a new RO/DI system.
Jackie Stuver

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2011 at 11:42pm
I will try some GFO
Jackie Stuver

jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2011 at 8:52am
Last year someone suggested that as winter comes upon us that there maybe a link to Cyano. I always seem to see an increase in Cyano related post in early winter and almost none in the summer. I believe the theory at the time was that with house being closed up in the winter our tanks may not be getting enough fresh air and the recycled closed in air of our houses tend to spur cyano growth. I don't think this is something that has been proven but there seems to be some sort of correlation between the two. Would be interesting for someone to do a study on this.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2011 at 9:44am
Hmm that is interesting. I am trying to figure out why I am still getting brown diatom blooms as well:( I normally only see this for about a week or so after the tank is setup.
Jackie Stuver

arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2011 at 10:37am
Originally posted by jwoo jwoo wrote:

Last year someone suggested that as winter comes upon us that there maybe a link to Cyano. I always seem to see an increase in Cyano related post in early winter and almost none in the summer. I believe the theory at the time was that with house being closed up in the winter our tanks may not be getting enough fresh air and the recycled closed in air of our houses tend to spur cyano growth. I don't think this is something that has been proven but there seems to be some sort of correlation between the two. Would be interesting for someone to do a study on this.

A closed up house in the winter also causes a drop in your pH!
What are your Alk and pH readings?

Another thing that works for reducing the nutrients in your tank is Carbon dosing.
My choice is mixing vinegar with Kalk, setup on a slow drip into my sump. I mix the kalk and vinegar in an Oceanic bucket full of freshwater. Let it settle. Then using an aqua-lifter with a micro valve set it up to drip into my sump. I have my aqua-lifter plugged into a timer with my sump light  as well. (It is highly recommended that you run a skimmer when carbon dosing)
Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2011 at 12:50pm
That's curious about Cyano coming on at the beginning of Winter.
In many of the commercial tanks I've dealt with, it was the onset of Summer that brought on the Cyano. Clown

How does the tank smell? Like the ocean? Fishy? Stinky like the rocks at low tide?

I would stop feeding for a week. I know that's hard to do but it really is a great opportunity for the biofiltration to catch up to the bioload. Moving a tank is often just like starting a new tank.

I think I saw somewhere that the Macroalgae is not growing very fast. Was that you or was I dreaming? That usually means not enough nutrients are getting to the Refugium or that the light is not the right spectrum or not intense enough. Algae growth in the display tank can starve a Refugium.

Leaving lights off above and on 24/7 below will cause the display algae to struggle and the Refugium algae to thrive. Give it enough time combined with no feeding and the balance of algae and biofiltration will gradually shift toward normal.

GFO is also a good idea. It will starve all algae, removing the PO4 released by food consumption and disturbed detritus.

That's my 2 cents. Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2011 at 1:36pm
Mark I will try that:) I am a bit worried about going a week only because I have a dwarf lionfish and he might take a liking to either my manderin or small clowns if I don't feed him
Jackie Stuver

Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2011 at 2:43pm
I think it's safe to say that drastic changes in whether change water chemistry a little bit and could cause algae blooms.
Call or Text (801)834-3119
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2011 at 7:16pm
Jackie-
   I struggled through an outbreak of cyano and some type of hair algae about three months ago. It got pretty bad. I added an MP60, 50 snails and kept blowing the sand, rocks and coral with a turkey baster to get rid of the algae. I reduced my VHO's to eight hours, kept the MH's at six hours, kept the auto feeder on a three time a day cycle and after a month or so later- things look awesome. Sure, nothing special. But things couldn't look better. I am now back to 10 hours on VHO's pushing towards 12. This is why I believe some success in this hobby can be contributed to dumb luck.

As for the brown diatoms... my Sand Sifting Diamond Goby works wonders. Wouldn't trade him for the world as I can not stand my sand not being brilliant white. 

Edited by DLindquist - December 08 2011 at 7:20pm
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic