Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tank Crash Pict Added

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2011 at 7:32pm
Thanks Trevor, Ill let you all know my new progress!
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2011 at 10:28pm
If you need anything held untill you get things back in check let me know.
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2011 at 10:38pm
Oh Jeremy that just makes me want to cry! That pic of what it looks like now is heart breaking! I am sure I have some frags I can also donate to you once you get back up and running. I don't blame you for not wanting to look or deal with it it's just too much!!!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2011 at 11:41pm
Dude that sucks , when you get things all figured out Ive got some frags I can donate as well man. 

Edited by kellerexpress - December 13 2011 at 11:47pm
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2011 at 8:16am
That's the toughest part of this hobby. I feel your pain. I am in pain right now about one of my two tanks. About two weeks ago we collected some awesome LR from the other side of the island. It had all sorts of sponge, algae and a host of other sessile and mobile inverts, including a few spots of blue Anthellia. The rock pieces were so awesome that my wife and I got over-zealous and collected way too much.Embarrassed It almost filled the 10 gal cooler, but that's not the worst part.

The coup de grace was that the LR spent the next 8 hours closed up in the cooler in the trunk of the car. We hadn't exactly planned that. Ouch Inside the trunk and eventually inside the cooler it got up to about 85 degrees. Plus, sealed up in the cooler it pretty much suffocated. So at 10 PM, we arrived home and I placed it all directly into the ~73 degree tank. This LR being from the surf zone, I figure temperature differences aren't too big of a deal. But there was too much LR in a sealed container and most of what we collected was very accustomed to constant splashing water.

Three days went by and things weren't too bad, the polyps even extended. On the 4th day it seemed that almost everything was dieing. It smelled terrible. To force the algae to eat up more pollution, the lights were left on 18 hours/day (Because my wife wouldn't let me leave them on 24 hrs/day.) Even that best approach to absorbing tons of pollution wasn't enough. Unhappy

After about 8 days, when the tank had just begun to look and smell okay, a second wave hit. A beautiful encrusting orange sponge, more inverts and even algae gave up the ghost. The pollution and bad smell are back again. It isn't over yetCry and I feel horrible about it.

Interesting thing - the Mantis Shrimp that we unexpectedly collected in the LR is still alive and clicking. LOL

Originally posted by disneymania disneymania wrote:

I had all my top off go into the tank with some kalk in it. It wasnt full dosed kalk top off but about half. I have been told thats what some people think. That happened on Sat, the tank all died basically over night 5 days later.
You aren't alone.
It doesn't take much to start the domino effect. I'm assuming there were somewhere between 2-4 gallons of kalkwasser that dumped into the tank, right? Even half strength Kalkwasser has very high pH, like 100 times higher than 8. It's also concentrated with Alk and Ca. The invertebrates, which depend entirely on stable water parameters, were swiftly shocked.

In a top notch tank like yours, I'm not surprised that it took a few more days than ours for it to reach a state of decomposition typically called a "crash". Though not easy to see, in actual fact, within a day of the accident, a few things were starting to die, pollution levels were beginning to climb and the tank was building to a crash. The point came where decomposition was running amuck and the coral went down quickly like a line of dominoes.

I'm so sorry for your loss and really hesitated to say anything that would cause more pain, but others reading this deserve to know, Yes, it was the sudden flood of Kalkwasser. We have all been warned that Kalkwasser can be dangerous. Strict control and fail safe methods are required to avoid accidents like this. In spite of your pain, I want to say thanks for sharing the mishap.

Life is fragile. It's good to be reminded of that from time to time.
Drive defensively and wear your seat belt.
Eat more plant based, unprocessed foods.
Be good to yourself. Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2011 at 10:13am
Shaun Thank you, they have all died so i dont really need a holding tank. I appreciate the offer though.

Jackie, thank you I will let everyone know and do a new tank thread so you can follow my progress. I probably will do a whole thread on tank crash to rebuilding process.

Keller- Thanks man Ill let you know!

Mark- Sorry about your live rock fiasco! Ill tell you what I know 100% sure it wasnt the KALK... why you ask... lol because the whole story in a nutshell is this, my water heater leaked so I pulled the carpet up. While doing this I saw that the top off tank was low. I filled it up but never put the pickling lime in it. INFACT the lime got all wet and was unusable. So my wife reminded me last night of all of this when we were talking about my tank.

Also on a side note Mark, the inverts were the VERY last thing to die!
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2011 at 12:45pm
wow no words! Sorry this happened. Look forward to your rebuild thread!

ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2011 at 1:16pm
Jeremy,
I am SO sorry, this literally makes me sick to read. I can only imagine how hard it has been for you and your wife? When you are up and ready Troy and I as well would love to donate what you need.

I look forward to following your new build thread.
Pam

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2011 at 1:36pm
If you indeed did not put the Kalk in the water before the bucket got dumped in and your heater didn't fry everything and you have no stray voltage shocking everything (which you'd feel) then the only culprit at this point would be some chemical imbalance. Either a foreign chemical was introduced into the system or your chemistry in the tank was off in some area. More then likely, knowing that you test often, it was something foreign introduced.

Have you read about the guy that had something like this happen to him and found out it was a nail that had somehow got into the system? Everything in his tank died suddenly one day just like yours. He waited it out and tried to re-introduce new corals and nothing would live. He finally tore the tank down to find a rusty old nail in the sand bed. It could have been something like that or some other chemical (either airborne or water based) that got in. I'd check the sump and main tank for any foreign objects just to be sure. This will probably require you to remove the sand and rocks to be thorough. Sadly if it was some airborne cleaning chemical or water based cleaning chemical you'll probably never really know at this point.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2011 at 1:37pm
Also you know I got some crazy frags ready for you whenever you want bro.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2011 at 2:26pm
I am so sorry, I can cut a piece of anything you want out of my tank once your back up and running, PM when your ready to add corals back again.  

if you really dosed a huge Kalk volume (even unsaturated- but it seems like maybe no Kalk was added? confused....) I would guess you would have had white flakes of Ca precipitating everywhere and would have noted this. In a really well mixed system itmight look cloudy (breaking up the flakes into small pieces) but I think you would have noticed this immediately and before the die off.  

Let us know what you think are the likely causes when your done with the forensic examination, we could all learn from it.  

Edited by rufessor - December 14 2011 at 2:28pm
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler -A.E.
57 Gallon RImless build in progress check the thread before if becomes boring and just full of nice pictures of colorful coral!
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2011 at 4:14pm
If you decide you want new sand or anything else let me know! Also I can get live rock shipped in fairly cheap if you decide to change out your rocks as well.
Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2011 at 5:55pm
Kinda looks like red slime in there now. Thats crazy.
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2011 at 6:08pm
Thanks Pam! I do appreciate it! Its been really hard!

Thanks Ksmart

Justin your right about the chemical in balance, I am going to take out all sand and go through it all same with rocks.

Ruffesor I will let you know. That is why im going to tear it all apart and check it out so that others can see what went wrong. I want to do a tank.... to crash... to new tank thread for those to see what to not do and hopefully things to do.

Art I will let you know, I have sand and rocks I believe. I do know that in a few weeks I will need a new clean up crew!

Laynframe, not red slime. Its a brown diatom type of algae but hopefully that will all be gone soon when I redo it all.....
Brandon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2011 at 10:15pm
Oh man this is terrible!  Sorry those pics are just insane and to happen that fast is sooo odd.  I feel so bad for you man sorry to hear about this Cry

Edited by Brandon - December 14 2011 at 10:17pm
Brandon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2011 at 10:19pm
I was thinking along the lines like rufessor but you would be able to tell if it was serious stray voltage.  Was the water really warm like when a heater goes crazy?
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2011 at 10:23pm
I really feel your pain on this, its been about a year and a half ago when I had a major tank crash. I lost almost everything. Ever since that crash I can not seem to get my tank running as smooth or looking as nice as it once did. I wish you the best of luck on the rebuild, unfortunately for my tank I think my passion is about shot.
Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2011 at 10:34pm
Wow, passion is the word for it. I've let this hobby go more times than I can count, but I keep coming back to it.Clown If I were there, I'd be offering to help Jeremy in any way I could. Hang in there and good luck.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2011 at 9:00am
Brandon- Thanks, ya no stray voltage tested that.

Keith- thank you as well. I remember your crash! Im so sad to hear that you havent really gotten it going as well again.

Thanks for your thoughts Mark! Im already working on getting it going again. Look for a new thread hopefully soon.

I did have my yellow tank die. BUT I found 3 peppermint shrimp... so I only have 2 clowns a PJ cardinal and 3 peppermint shrimp left! OH and 3 hermit crabs lol!
Candymom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candymom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2011 at 2:15pm
Jeremy, I'm sorry to hear about your tank. My husband and I really enjoyed seeing it a few weeks ago. I don't have a lot of variety yet, but you are welcome to frag any of my stuff, too. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic