Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tank Crash Pict Added

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tank Crash Pict Added
    Posted: December 11 2011 at 10:31pm
Ok so I had my tank crash, killed most everything but the stickin fish lol. It still stinks and cloudy, I have done water change after water change and it is still cloudy. Now my question to you is this, do you think that I need to pull the rocks out? That they are having die off as well?

Has anyone ever had an actual full blown tank crash? What were your experiences with getting it going again?

Edited by disneymania - December 13 2011 at 6:42pm
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2011 at 1:52am
have you tried moving your fish into a temporary home and doing a 100% water change?
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2011 at 5:57am
Unfortunately I've had a few over the years for various reasons.  I usually did ~25% water change per day for about a week...nothing crazy.  Running carbon and a skimmer running wet helped as well, and the tank was usually clear within about 3 days. 

To really help...what caused the crash?  That'll determine if your rocks are having die-off too.  IME, there's rarely a true 100% crash that causes a full restart (except when the exterminator accidentally got some poison in my reef tank...that was really bad.)  If your fish are still alive, then the ammonia/nitrite may be ok for your bacteria as well.  If you just let things settle out, you'll probably have some serious cyano coming. 
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2011 at 10:04am
I have also had tanks crash. I would suggest a 99% water change --> remove as much water as possible without removing the fish.
Then, take it slow. Run carbon full-time, remove anything that is dead or appears to be on the way out early. Reduce feeding proportionally to your losses.
Following the cyano bloom, begin to repopulate and keep a close eye on your water parameters.
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2011 at 10:21am
I agree with Shane. I did as big a water change as possible. And watched it extreamly close for a while.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2011 at 11:17am
Thanks for the input everone.... Ill let you know what i am going to do a little later...
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2011 at 4:06pm
Shane got this one. But after you get things settled out, it's time to starting planning on how to make it even more awesome this time around! 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2011 at 8:36pm
what are your water params? just curious.
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2011 at 12:42pm
lol you know I havent thought about it lol. Everything is still dying and I know that they are all off the charts!
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2011 at 2:03pm
well here is the list of what was lost:

orange Digi,
Pink Birdsnest
Rainbow Wellsi
green Wellsi x2
Green Plate
Colony of Hammer Head
colony of Frogspawn
HUGE Green and purple monti plate
blue polyped monti
colony green duncans
blue duncans
BIG clam
small maxima clam
Red Trachy
Wall Frogspawn
Hundreds of Candy Coral
6 peppermint shrimp (so far)
Cleaner shrimp
Arrow Crab
Star fish
Hundred or so Snails and Crabs
ZOAS ZOAS ZOAS all colors and sizes
Blasto Colony with 100 heads or so on it.
Pink Chalace
Some type of Red Monti
Orange and green Lobo Colony
ORA supernatural Colony
Idaho Grape Colony

and my pride

Probably more im forgetting....

Fish..... NONE they are all still alive! STUPID FISH! I never could keep fish till the last 6-12 months! lol thats my luck!

Edited by disneymania - December 13 2011 at 2:38pm
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2011 at 2:29pm
When you start to re-stock let us know. I don't have much, but what I do have you are welcome to.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2011 at 2:38pm
Thanks lewy I appreciate it!

Here are some pictures of my tank about 3 weeks ago!

DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2011 at 2:45pm
What does it look like today?
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2011 at 3:06pm
Ill take a picture when I get home..... Pretty sad, it has cleared up a lot and doesnt stink so much today.
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2011 at 6:35pm
Here they are

I would have taken pictures of the corals .... but that is depressing!
ttls1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttls1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2011 at 6:49pm
Out of curiosity do you know what caused the crash? Heater, contaminate?
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2011 at 6:55pm
I had all my top off go into the tank with some kalk in it. It wasnt full dosed kalk top off but about half. I have been told thats what some people think. That happened on Sat, the tank all died basically over night 5 days later.

After talking to lots of people they say there is no way that could have caused it, others say yes, some say they have read online that it could have caused it.

Personally I dont think so, to die 5 days later in a matter of about 6 hours is really odd.

Im going to pull out all the rock and see if something is in there.

So to answer your question not 100% sure yet.
nsfw dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nsfw dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2011 at 7:15pm
omg thats horrible. its hurts me to look at how much you lost. so sorry that you or anyone for that matter has to suffer through that. 
480 in wall in progress
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2011 at 7:20pm
Thanks its tough, the worst part is I dont even want to look at it right now, but I have to deal with it because of the smell in the house!
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2011 at 7:30pm
Im sorry to hear about your loss. I freak out even when I see a slight loss in color so I can imagine how that would be. Let us all  know when the tank is up and running and I can donate some corals to help start up again.Wink 
Call or Text (801)834-3119
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic