Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

brown leaf algae

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hedgefish View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: brown leaf algae
    Posted: December 12 2011 at 6:58pm
lost a lot fo corals bought led light ,had it to close for corals then moved it about 15 inches fromr top of tank,now getting this brown leaf algae,ive read it could be excess of nutrients in the tank,oh yeah a while back almost had a temperature problem it went all the way to 71 but for the last three weeks its been at 79,i check all the par, and they are fine,here a picture please get back got to get this back the way it use to be.thanks
hedgefish
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2011 at 7:09pm
That is cool! Why do you want to get rid of it?
hedgefish View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hedgefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2011 at 7:30pm
didnt know if its good or bad algae
hedgefish
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2011 at 9:19pm
I'd say that is good! Let me know if it grows out, I'd love a piece!
Good luck!
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2011 at 7:04am
Me want. Second in line.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2011 at 8:33am
Can I get some of the fine green hair like stuff in the upper left Tongue

Based upon its appearance its likely fine... but I have had at least one nusiance algae appear 9 months after a tank was set up and have no idea where it came from... then 1 year after it was set up I get two other types that I really like...  Pretty fun to watch if it does not take over!  Instead of thinking of it as a water quality issue, in some cases its actually a good sign.  Afterall, we all grow HUGE balls of CHeato and think thats a good thing... so whats the difference between that and a cool macro in your display... nothing.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler -A.E.
57 Gallon RImless build in progress check the thread before if becomes boring and just full of nice pictures of colorful coral!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2011 at 8:37am
Rufessor is "right on the money". Most algae is a good thing. Combined with bacteria, algae is what keeps the water quality good enough to grow coral and raise fish.  I also was going to point out two spots where nuisance Hair Algae appears to be growing. At the upper left edge of the pic and in the upper right corner of the pic at the top of some Green Star Polyps. If this were my tank, I'd be doubling the amount of snails and throwing in a couple more Hermits.

The brown leafy stuff is Sargassum/Kelp. It is an awesome algae. I have two varieties of it right now that I collected from the waters at Laupahoehoe Point and the Old Kona Airport Beach Park. There are some other pics of it in members tanks here: http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5037

Edited by Mark Peterson - December 13 2011 at 8:50am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2011 at 11:45am
I want in line for some too!!!
Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic