Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zoas and crabs / snails

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mikenmandymoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikenmandymoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zoas and crabs / snails
    Posted: December 16 2011 at 6:15am
So we just purchased a few new frags of some beautiful zoas last night - we also got some red legged hermit crabs as well as some margarita snails.  Adjusted all of them to our tank and placed them in last night.  When I woke up this morning I was dismayed to find a few chunks gone from a few of our zoa frags and the invertebrates happily munching away on our rock / sand.  My question is - should I not have the crabs / snails in the tank with the new zoa frags?   Are the zoa frags going to fall victim to the cleaners I got to help with the algae growth?  Confused

ANY help would be appreciated at this moment!  I have spent a good chunk of money on the frags and don't want to see their beautiful colors get munched away by the naughty cleaners!Cry

Thanks in advance! Big smile
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2011 at 6:37am
No, I have NEVER had taht issue with hermits, I have had amphipods eat my zoos but never hermits. Hermits just run over my zoos when I try to take pictures. What else is in the tank?
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2011 at 7:30am
So strange, I've never had that problem. But get those culprits out, send them back and get some black legged crabs. Your snails should be fine. 
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikenmandymoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2011 at 10:33am
Originally posted by Josh95 Josh95 wrote:

No, I have NEVER had taht issue with hermits, I have had amphipods eat my zoos but never hermits. Hermits just run over my zoos when I try to take pictures. What else is in the tank?

Just some zoanthids, live rock, a soft candy cane coral and the margarita snails & the red legged hermit crabs.  I bought the snails and crabs from Reef On just last night. :P Ouch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikenmandymoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2011 at 11:07am
So I thought I'd share what the zoas LOOKED like last night in the tank and what they look like now.  Maybe that will give you guys some more help in helping me get this issue resolved.  My husband said that they are crawling over them and onto the rock - it doesn't appear that they're actively eating them. Tongue

here they are last night.  The red polyped one is the one I thought was eaten.

That was last night -

This morning a huge portion on the left hand side was gone - could it be water parameters instead of reef cleaners?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikenmandymoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2011 at 11:21am
Here is a pic of them now - now completely open... but notice the chunk missing on the right hand area of the frag?  Is it tank parameters, or something else?

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2011 at 1:16pm
It may have just been due to switching tanks. Do you see the heads in your tank at all? Sometimes zoas will come off the rocks and you can see them rolling in your substrate. They look good today, the spot almost looks like it never had zoas there it looks like where I had it glued to my rock.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikenmandymoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2011 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

It may have just been due to switching tanks. Do you see the heads in your tank at all? Sometimes zoas will come off the rocks and you can see them rolling in your substrate. They look good today, the spot almost looks like it never had zoas there it looks like where I had it glued to my rock.

Smile  Thanks Jackie! I was afraid that the crabs and snails I had gotten to help with the algae problem had somehow made a different problem.  It might have been where it was glued - but I was certain it had polyps on it last night.  However, I got QUITE a few new things yesterday for the tank. Big smile

Thanks again for all the help!
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2011 at 2:41pm
My guess is the crabs or snails flipped it. Mine do it all the time.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikenmandymoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2011 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

My guess is the crabs or snails flipped it. Mine do it all the time.

Yeah I noticed the snails were trying to do that to the smaller frag - they also moved the one frag plug I had resting on one of the other rocks.  I suppose I probably should glue them somewhere then huh? LOL
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2011 at 3:09pm
The hermit crabs and snails won't eat your Zoa's but they may climb on them and clean them!
Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic