Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

anemone in the overflow??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
96slowbra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96slowbra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: anemone in the overflow??
    Posted: December 21 2011 at 9:35am
couple days ago i moved and added some rock to my tank. over the next couple days my anemone was making his move,then one day i could no longer see him. well, last night i turned the pump off so i could see down there and sure enough there he was. also a little version of him. i just don't know how to get them out??? i have a corner tank so it's hard to even see them, and i have the mega flow adjustable overflow kit. my anemone is bright red and looks fantastic, i would be willing to give either one away if you can help me get them out of there....
105 rimless
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2011 at 10:46am
It's super easy to remove an anemone from flat glass or plastic. Just scrape it off with a razor blade or other thin flat object. Kent Super Scrapers are very useful for this but I've also used a kitchen spatula!
Also, there are easy ways to make an anemone move or release. Directing a strong flow at the anemone is a sure way to get it to move.
Removing the overflow pipe while the return pump is running may get it to release and slide down the drain but more likely it will just hang there like a scrotum. (I can't believe I just said that! Shocked)
At least it makes room for you to scrape it off with a blade or spatula
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
96slowbra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96slowbra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2011 at 10:52am
can i get the overlfow pipe off without undoing the bulkhead at the bottom? cause that isn't really an option. with a corner tank it is very inaccessible
105 rimless
jcoulter17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcoulter17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2011 at 1:42pm
I have done this before you can do it if it not glued but you better make sure you sump can take the extra water from the water flow
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2011 at 5:55pm
For sure. Just remove some water before turning off the pump.
Remove the hood if there is one. Corner tank or rectangular, standpipe should NEVER be glued in. Best installation is threaded so it can be stable but easily removed by unscrewing it.
Good luck
96slowbra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96slowbra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2011 at 12:18pm
thanks, i got the pipe out and my anemone. can't get to the small one, i'll keep an eye on it and get it later
105 rimless
96slowbra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96slowbra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2011 at 1:48pm
over night he worked his way down to a cave on the sand. is it just acclimating itself to the light again after being in the overflow for 5 days?? is it gonna move back to the top again?
105 rimless
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2011 at 11:02pm
It will probably move around several times in the next few weeks, trying different places to find what it likes in the day, and also doubles as a good bed at night.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic