Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

White in dorsal fin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: White in dorsal fin
    Posted: December 25 2011 at 10:33pm
So my fish has two white blobish things on his dorsal fIn. I don't know that I would say they look like ich, but are much larger. I am wondering if it is some kind of fungus or something growing on him? Only two spots, showed up today, and towards the front of the dorsal fin (second spine). Maybe it is because he wedges into the rocks and it is a sore, but any advice is appreciated.

I would post pics, but I honestly can't get any that are close enough to show anything.
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2011 at 10:33am
Yes, fungus is a possibility.
There is probably a whole lot of fungus in the tank, but before you get alarmed, fungus is a good organism and is a natural part of the functioning of a healthy reef aquarium. We don't like it showing up on a fish, but we can do something about it.

Actually, a pic of the entire tank would help identify it and help with the treatment.
Can you show us a pic of the entire tank and maybe a closer shot of the fish in one area of the tank?
Which fish is it?
How long has it been in the tank?
How old is the tank?
What is it eating and how often?
Is there a Cleaner Shrimp in the tank?

Thanks for trusting this MB with your situation/problem. Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2011 at 12:10pm
Alright, here is the best shot I could get.

I am coming back from a huge hair algae attack, but that is getting under control. 

He has been in the tank for about 10 days now.

Tank is 7 months old.

He is eating:
Reef Nutrition Mysis (1x week)
Spectrum Pellets w/ Garlic (Thera + A) Fed Every other day

There are a couple of cleaner shrimp and a Cleaner Wrasse, but he won't let any of them touch him.  When they do, he flees as if he is being attacked by them.

Here is a shot of the full tank.
He lives right in the middle above those scolly's

Edited by Tanuki - December 26 2011 at 12:14pm
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2011 at 1:01pm
That's a great pic of beautiful fish. It tells me all I need to know, but are the other Anthias or any other fish chasing it, even just a little?
It would need more time to get accustomed to everything and for everything to get accustomed to it but I don't recommend that right now, for this situation.

The minimal feeding to control the algae has put some stress on the fish and shrimp. They are very hungry. That's why it runs from the Shrimp because it knows they are hungry for more than just a simple cleaning.

One of the best things to do when introducing a new fish is to feed extra before and after introduction. Unfortunately, since I can see the algae is still a problem, extra feeding would not be recommended. Fish pollute the water, so they are part of the reason for algae problems in the first place.

I see some blood in the fungus on the fin. This is not a good sign. I would recommend removing the fish to a Hospital Tank and wait until more of the algae has disappeared before adding it back in.

I see by the look of the algae that it was stressed but now it is growing back. You are not out of the woods yet. How many snails are in this tank?

You may be in disbelief that I could think to know so much about the tank and what it needs, but I've been at this for most of my lifetime, and I'm pretty old.Ermm
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2011 at 1:05pm
Snails- Probably around 40 Mexican Turbos
30 Nassarius

also one medium sized algae blenny and too many hermit crabs. 

I think that the fish giving him a hard time, is the flame angel.  Nothing else gets near him.

Do you think the damage was caused by way of running into the rocks?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2011 at 1:42pm
Nassarius snails don't count. They don't eat algae. By Mexican Turbo snails do you mean these which used to be called Margarita Snails, or are you talking about the large Pacific Turbo Snail?

To tell you the truth, if not Pacific Turbo, that's less than half the algae eating snails that I would have in that size of tank. Without more snails, algae grows unchecked. Hermits can become a nuisance and cause trouble. I would remove all but 20 of the Hermits, trading them for my best recommended snail ratio, 50% Astrea, 30% Margarita and 20% Cerith Snails.

Did you acclimate in a container to see if any fish showed aggression prior to releasing that Anthias into the tank?
Angelfish are territorial. The lack of supplemental feeding to control the algae growth has caused it to more aggressively defend its territory. A major food that the Angelfish is not getting is soft surface algae. There is little of that right now. The algae eating Blenny is also suffering.
Fish don't bump into rocks like you may be thinking. Illness, including fungus typically becomes a visible problem when the fish is stressed. Fortunately, there are some things you can do to relieve some of that stress.

I'd get the fish out to an established hospital tank and feed it well.
Speaking of feeding, if moving the fish is not practical right now, you may have to temporarily accept increased algae growth in order to try to save that fish. I would suggest doing a complete switch of your feeding. I feed frozen meaty food every day, with a fast one day/week and leave the dry food for when I don't have time to thaw some frozen. Follow the directions found in the Reefkeeping Tips for adding aq drop of Garlic Oil to the frozen meaty food once each day for the next 10 days. Also feed twice/day for the next week or so.

Oh and if you can add 100 snails, do it.

Any questions? Please keep in touch, call if you need to.
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2011 at 2:22pm
They are the big boys from the pacific, though i do hate the hermits as I watch them eating the snails at night.  I try to get rid of them as I see them, though I still have too many.

I did acclimate in a container and nothing showed any signs of aggression.  In fact that flame angel has never shown any towards anything, but I believe they are in eachothers' territory now.

As for the hospital tank, that may be a no go as I think it would be near impossible to get him out.  He is one of the most stealthy fish I have had yet.  I am fine with algae growth if that means nourishing him. 

I have a lot of frozen food still as well that I can start feeding. 

As for snails, I had better give arthur a call.

I will update as things progress.
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2011 at 4:40pm
Just an update, it looks to be going away.  
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2011 at 6:50pm
Fantastic.
I'll bet everyone in the tank is happier with the increase of food.

Snails, snails and more snails. Smile
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2011 at 6:37pm
Alright here is one of him tonight.  Basically all better!

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2011 at 11:40pm
Shocked Oh my, you do need snails, bad.

In my experience, the Pacific Turbo snails are best at knocking things over and eating fuzzy red Asperagopsis algae. For all other algae control, my money is best spent on 50% Astrea, 30% Margarita and 20% Cerith Snails.
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2012 at 9:09am
^You know what is crazy? Like almost all of the green algae is gone now. I changed nothing. 
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2012 at 2:13pm
Did you add any new rock/sand etc to the tank prior to the outbreak.  That can bring some phosphates and nutrient loads that will cause this... just one possibility asside from over feeding.  Or seriously rearrange stuff... that can do it too.  That would be consistent with it just going away once the added nutrient load is consumed. 

A guess...
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler -A.E.
57 Gallon RImless build in progress check the thread before if becomes boring and just full of nice pictures of colorful coral!
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2012 at 8:42pm
That's wonderful.
The 40 Turbo Snails were good ones and they have been eating at night.
Most snails are nocturnal. If they don't have enough to eat they will start cruising in the daytime. There was a lot of algae and now with it gone, 40 big snails will push all over to find something to eat. Now is the time to consider whether there are too many. Removing some is a good idea, before they starve to death. There are always hobbyists here looking for snails.
Remove any that die, ASAP so they don't add pollution back into the water.
It's a balancing act.
Keep an eye on the LR. If algae starts to come back, even just a little, add a few snails before it gets out of control.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic