Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scuba Diving Catalina Island

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2012 at 9:25pm
Reef'd Up- just wanted to say that it is great having you here. Love reading all your posts.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2012 at 9:22am
I agree with Adam.

I was curious. That's all. I wasn't blaming you, not at all. I meant no offense. I was just curious about the anemone.
From the two points of view it seems that the anemone has flipped itself over. The mouth/tentacle side is holding on to the rock while the foot is expanded and folded over as though it's trying to move, trying to find another rock opposite from the one it's on. Not that unusual for anemones new to our tanks, but perhaps more unusual for anemones in the wild. I'm sorry if my observation caused any alarm. Please forgive me. Thanks for the pics and Happy New Year.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2012 at 4:42pm
Nope, we're good...it's just frustrating arguing over what I saw. This anemone was correctly attached the entire time, and the foot was never visible. This species of anemone has an...almost engorged...oral disc. I saw many of these anemones, and this is how they all looked. Cold water species, of just about everything, can be *much* different than what we see for our aquariums.  The white line you see going across the oral disc in the 2nd pic corresponds to one of the 4 white lines from the 1st pic's oral disc.  The oral disc is segmented into 4, and my best guess is that this helps the anemone take in larger chunks of food than normal anemones.  Cold water critters don't have the abundance of food warmer water critters do, so they have unique survival abilities.

Just so we're clear...

Edited by Reef'd Up - January 03 2012 at 4:46pm
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2012 at 4:50pm
This thread ROCKS!

What a great way to spend Thanksgiving.  Thanks for sharing! 

Also - feel free to post as many pics as you want ... they are awesome
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2012 at 4:54pm
Thanks so much!  My hubby was in Afghanistan, and I was new to Utah at Thanksgiving.  The trip gave me a new adventure to get my mind off everything.  Being on a live-aboard was a...different...experience.

By day 3 everything was mildew & rotting fish smelling...and had that saltwater slime feel to it. 

I didn't get any photos of it (camera battery died), but the next coolest thing to the squid mating was that we came across a massive dolphin migration.  Pretty much as far as your eyes could see were dolphins.

I'll double check for photos, but I think these were my best shots.  The rest were just the same things from various angles & camera settings.  Maybe I'll post pics from some other dive trips! 
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2012 at 7:59pm
I was asked what camera setup I was using, so...

Canon S95, Canon underwater housing, and a Sea&Sea YS-01 Strobe:

www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2012 at 11:39am
Thanks for the information about that anemone. I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic