Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LED acclimation Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LED acclimation Question
    Posted: January 06 2012 at 2:02pm
Hi All-

So I excited to light up my new LED build, tonight if I get the controller playing well with the lights.

I have 2 x 96 PC bulbs over the tank currently about 2 inches off the water over egg crate. 

The new LED build is detailed in my tank thread if you want details but has 48 LEDs.

24 Cree XP-E royal blue BIN 316 = 450 nm dominant highest intensity bin made
16 Cree XP-G Bin 4a=highest color temp in neutral white bin high intensity
4 Cree XP-E blue

They are in 4 "PAR" groups, clustered very tightly.  They will be about 12 inches of the water to start.

I have PWM dimming, and will set the MAX driver current at 100% PWM to be just under the rated current for each string.  So.. where should I start and how fast should I ramp.  AND>.. what should I look for to tell me to either speed it up a bit or go down in intensity.

THANKS!

Tank has.

Green ORA birds nest, Red ORA birdsnest, ORA Birds of paradise, Purple tipped acro, Red plating montipora, idaho grape montipora, red encrusting monti, Superman monti, Yellow/Green Milli, green tipped Torch, Leather, Pink and green Hammer, Zoas abound, one chalice, and more but that covers the bredth of lighting requirements.  The leather is on the sand the Acro is highish and the milli is pretty low as I got it from someone who had it dying off and its now beginning to come back (encrusting the plug now) although color is still fleshy with little polyp extension so far but its coming back... slowly.  It was ALMOST a gonner when I got it in the tank.  I can see (I think) the flesh thickening so I would guess color should come up soon.  Birds types are medium depth.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler -A.E.
57 Gallon RImless build in progress check the thread before if becomes boring and just full of nice pictures of colorful coral!
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2012 at 2:04pm
Oh.. I will be adding another acro and a rose anemone very soon... should I start them down (obviously I dont get to choose for the anenome).. the acro is not in a super high light tank but is AWESOME looking radiant blue and green and I really want this to be a show piece so I dont want to kill it.
57 Gallon RImless build in progress check the thread before if becomes boring and just full of nice pictures of colorful coral!
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2012 at 2:17pm
What size is your tank?
Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2012 at 2:24pm
Sorry

57 gallon rimless 36 l x 18 w x 24 d
Jeffatpm View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffatpm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2012 at 2:43pm
I started mine something similar to 50% for a couple days, then 60% for three days - 70% for four days, etc....
210 Reef with loads of LEDS
Large Fishey Room
Located Near Jordan Landing in West Jordan.
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2012 at 4:23pm
I ran mine at 30% for a week. 40% for a week, 50% for 3 weeks and so on. Im at 65% now and have had no brown out issues that many have.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2012 at 4:28pm
I like that slower approach. Will start tonight at 30-40. I hear looking at visual appearance of brightness will guarantee you fry everything so I will try very hard to be patient
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic